My extra foot/ the plan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:27 pm

Miriam,

Seems to me that if it's not raining you could tow this for an hour to show it off!!! ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:41 pm

mikeschn wrote:Miriam,

Seems to me that if it's not raining you could tow this for an hour to show it off!!! ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...

:lol: Uh huh. You have clearly never traveled I-44. The trucks would blow it off the road. Course, with some more spars.... ;)

Showing it off will have to wait. I would just die if something happened to it now. Beside, if the lumber yard ever gets it right, I could work day and night and be ready in a week. 8)

The inside walls should be up by tonight, and the ceiling and roof by Monday. I am taking Saturday off to play. :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:01 am

I got to the insulation part and decided the framing was a bit flimsy. It is 1"x 1 1/2" (true measure) and spaced every six inches across six feet. It seems a bit bouncy. I stopped and glued them to the inside panels and that stiffened them up a lot. Tommorow I will put some vertical bracing and continue it through the top.

The middle board is a temporary brace to keep everything from coming loose while the glue sets. ( my extra hand)

Opinions and advice apprectiated.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby angib » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:49 am

Miraim,

Adding the second skin (also glued) will add more stiffness than gluing the first skin on did, assuming you're using wood for the second skin.

Of course by then, it's too late to do anything about it, but if it's anywhere near stiff enough without the second skin, it will be stiff enough with it.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:44 pm

Thank you very much Andrew,

There is an outside skin to go (1/8 inch) and pretty pink stuff. The one showing is only the inside and the glue has stiffened it up quite a bit. It was horizontal movement of the spars I worried about. I put some screws in to be sure the ceiling made contact with the spars.

Part of me wants to do a second layer of 1/8" on the top. :thinking:
Happy Labor Day
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 am

The front skin is now on. It is glued with tight bond lll and has #6 stainless steel screws every 4 inches around the edges. The bottom edge has deck screws holding it in place. It is covered in epoxy both sides for the first 6 inches to keep out any water.

Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:08 pm

Looking good Girl. It won't be long and you'll be out camping in that thing :D
Glad to see you and Mike have decided to take a more casual approach to the forum :lol:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:21 am

PaulC wrote:Looking good Girl. It won't be long and you'll be out camping in that thing :D
Glad to see you and Mike have decided to take a more casual approach to the forum :lol:

Cheers

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya didn't like the horns? :lol: I guess Mike S. isn't afraid to use his camera when we aren't done up. Avitar is a gift from him and Chell. :) We can look normal now.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:45 pm

I finally got some film developed and realized the close ups are on this roll. The digital cheapy won't do it.

The ceiling and spars in.

Getting it square. This is the framing for the vent. I made it flat so I could get screws where I wanted them.
the corner clamps work great for holding the other end of spars too.

The ceiling, hatch spar and roof clamped together. The vent is cut and waiting for glue to dry.

The bed frame. The bed is split so access it gained by lifting the bed in front. Thanks Julie for getting me the aluminum hinge. I used it here and it is great.

this is the bed frame with most of the framing done. The end slats are fixed and the others are movable so I can get to my junk. Not shown is the nailers on the bottom that I decided I needed.

The bed is finished and I will get pictures in the next day or two. I ran outta film.

Thanks all for making this possible.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:31 am

This may sound a little sexist but the quality of the workmanship you girls produce is fantastic.
Keep up the good work Miriam. Doin' good :D

Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:15 pm

Thank you Paul. This girl appreciates the compliment. :lol: I'm getting to the point I can feel it. Till I think of the back. :? I keep telling my self "I'ts just a box." ;)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jplock » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:23 pm

Miriam,
It's just a box with thousands of peices! It looks good!
jplock
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:52 pm

I finally got some pictures developed. This is the bed in it's completed (almost) stage.

The bed opened. Makes a great storage space.

Heres Mike taking a break.

The current TTTT.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:19 pm

The next stage. I dry fit and marked the hatch yesterday. It's raining today so I can't screw it together and get it up for a fit.

Checking the fit.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:21 pm

Hi Miriam, I know that we call this forum T&TTT for short, but, I need to know what your"current TTTT' signifies= Taut,Tight, Terrific Trailer?
Maybe "The Titan Travel Trailer" :lol:
Cheers

By the way, I still think it's lookin' good. It won't be long and you'll be "out campin" :applause:
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals