Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby wlivesey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:50 pm

I've been doing a bit of research and planning this week before I jump into the hatch and roof spars. I'm thinking of using a geared continuous hinge for the hatch. It is, apparently, much more weather resistant than your typical piano hinge. Has anyone had any experience with these???

I'm still planning to use a rubber seal over the hinge so I'm not sure that a geared hinge is really needed. It's just, yet another, obstacle for any leaks to get past.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:07 am

Bill, I've been looking at those too. The problem that I see with these is that, the way they mount, the hinge would have to stop short of the outside edge. With a traditional hurricane hinge, you have two extra "flanges" on the surface that you can extend beyond the outside edges, while keeping the mounting flanges inside the sidewalls.
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:10 pm

aggie79 wrote:Bill, I've been looking at those too. The problem that I see with these is that, the way they mount, the hinge would have to stop short of the outside edge. With a traditional hurricane hinge, you have two extra "flanges" on the surface that you can extend beyond the outside edges, while keeping the mounting flanges inside the sidewalls.
Tom

Ah yes... I keep forgetting that while I'm looking at hinges. I just need to surface mount hinge.

That being said, I've pretty well decided to go with a typical piano hinge. I'll cover it with rubber to make it water tight.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:26 pm

We made some progress today. We stopped working earlier than usual - it's too stinking hot outside... The heat index was about 105 degrees when we threw in the towel. We might, however, head back out there this evening after it cools off. By "cool", I mean back into the upper nintys. :?

Believe it or not, that's 1/4 inch Oak plywood on the bend. We scratched the lexan window idea...

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:16 pm

I see you have joined the "Whole lotta Clamps Club" BTW - Do Cement blocks count as clamps? :roll:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby wlivesey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:10 am

starleen2 wrote:I see you have joined the "Whole lotta Clamps Club" BTW - Do Cement blocks count as clamps? :roll:

That's not the half of it. I've got more clamps laying around these days...

I believe I've also joined the "I've bent wood club"!

I bought those cement blocks (6 of 'em) when I started putting together my frame. I had no idea I was going to use them for so many other things. Maybe I could start a "Whole lotta Cement Blocks Club" too.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby wlivesey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Today we finished up the interior skin on the front and non-moving ceiling. We are really happy with how well the interior is turning out. It's a lot of time consuming work, but somehow, it's easier than I though it would be.

Talk about a lot of clamps...

I used three, yes three, pieces of 1x2 red oak to form a super strong header for the hatch opening. Surely it's overkill but I like to be consistent.

The hatch is next!
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:48 pm

FYI Tip - try to get the lower interior portion finished as much as possible before installing the hatch - it's much easier to apply stains and polyurethane finishes while everything is wide open. On previous Builds I spent a lot of time trimming out an interior on my hands and knees and trying to fit trim and paneling through the narrow doors - and bumping my head on ceilings. I know the Hatch is indeed the most important part of the build and it is sure tempting to get it done - if you have unlimited space, by all means build the hatch and set it aside. But if you wait until you have the interior about 85% complete, you'll be doing yourself a real favor. We only had to remove the hatch twice on the lady bug - Once to finish with resin and sanding - the other to finish the interior coats of polyurethanes (easier to do when turned upside down - no drips on the floor) :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:48 am

Looking good, Bill! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

I know what you mean about the heat. I had "commitments" Saturday and Sunday mornings, and didn't get out to the garage until noon each day. Fortunately, I have a walk door to our back yard, and had the opening fitted with two box fans for cross-ventilation.

I still need to get by and see your build. Maybe this weekend.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:53 am

Build Party at Bill's??? ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Hey Bill,
I hear the high temperature this weekend for the DFW area will only reach the mid-90s. We might be able to make it past 2:00 pm on our builds.
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby wlivesey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:59 pm

aggie79 wrote:Hey Bill,
I hear the high temperature this weekend for the DFW area will only reach the mid-90s. We might be able to make it past 2:00 pm on our builds.
Tom

We'll see what happens.... I plan to make big progress this weekend.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby Tackett » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:48 pm

Beautiful work, and lots of innovative ideas.

Thanks for sharing what you're doing.

Tackett
Tackett
Teardrop Builder

Postby wlivesey » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:38 pm

It's been a while since I've posted an update. It's been hot here. The heatt has slowed things down considerably. We've still managed to get the the interior stained and cabinetry installed. I've started the electrical system but it's not done yet. I'll post some more pictures soon...
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby WayneFromMo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Very nice. Look forwards to seeing it finished. Almost makes me want to build a Winter Warrior.
Last edited by WayneFromMo on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals