Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity Tear Drop Build

Postby western traveler » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:43 pm

Nightly visitors lately…

western traveler
Donating Member

Re: Serenity TearDrop Build

Postby western traveler » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Yesterday I added the interior skin to the hatch. I took it back to the TD and confirmed nothing had shifted. I also added the needed blocks and wiring which isn’t much, just the galley overhead light and hatch handle. This morning I cut kerfs and fitted the insulation for the hatch. I added PL to the edges to tack it down then plan on sanding any proud areas later today. Also I am going to apply the Trans Tint stain to the outer piece of Birch for the hatch in hopes it will help hide the staple holes and avoid that error I made on the roof skin.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:05 pm

Things moved quickly for me (a rarity it seems) today. After pulling the temp wood clamps I sanded the insulation where it needed it. I then cut and fitted the outer skin to the hatch. After I removed it I added the tint. It dried pretty fast as it has been hot here.
I green padded it to knock down the grain and attached it to the hatch. Again using Original Gorilla glue and staples. The staples are still in it. I will pull them in the morning and dry fit it to the TD again. If nothing is amiss the plan is to glass tomorrow.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:18 pm

Something I hadn’t mentioned at the time but a couple weeks ago I made the jaunt down to Helena (the closest place to take care of registering the trailer) a scenic hour and a half drive. There they gave me the paperwork and a VIN number to etch into the frame for a new build.
When I got home I freehanded the number into the frame with a carbide bit and my Dremel. I then requested the local sheriff swing by my place to verify it was etched deep enough. He signed it off and we chatted a bit. Then I mailed a blank check to DMV and about 4 days later received the plate and a receipt for $98.
Easy Peezy…
Last edited by western traveler on Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:24 pm

Easy Peezy…

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:11 pm

western traveler wrote: ...Easy Peezy…

Nice! We opted to use the original VIN plate and title form our popup. Our 1992 Starcraft sure does look a whole lot different these days :lol:
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:39 am

Cody, that’s how I would have done it and would say it looks better!

Yesterday I filled a few small gaps between the skin and gussets with wood flour (I saved a bunch early on) and resin. Pulled the staples and fared the filled areas after the resin went off. Once again I dry fitted the hatch to the galley just to be sure nothing had shifted before glassing.
I then glassed the hatch and have since got the fill coats applied. I think the last one should do it and I will sand when cured.

One item of note. It made no difference applying the Trans Tint before fastening or after as to the staple holes being visible. If one looks for them they are there but hardly noticeable. It would be even better without the tint to highlight them. If to do it again I would do it as I originally did as the staple hole edges would be easier to clean up.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:18 pm

Today between pulling the hair out of my head (Should have been my face as I have a lot more there) over a couple cabin lights that keep blowing fuses I did get the reading lights mounted.

I didn’t want to deal with the wires during wall construction so once the walls were up I built a jig/guide and clamped it to the top the wall. I used a long bit to drill down through the guide and marked on the bit where to stop. I then measured and drilled from the interior connecting to the vertical hole and fished the wires through. I wanted to leave them long in case ever having to replace a light. The reading lights had zero room in their base so I built a couple hollow mounts to coil the extra wire in.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:26 pm

Not having worked enough of my frustration out.
I sanded/fared the hatch and applied the first coat of Helmsman.
I think it is the nicest piece of Baltic Birch in the entire build placed there only by happenstance…
Last edited by western traveler on Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:27 pm

Great progress WT. Glad the hatch turned out so well! Every time I check in on your progress, it makes me wish that I had given a Woody a little more consideration... Especially with wood being the highly sought after gold that it is these days.

As for the frustrations, it wouldn't be a proper teardrop build without a few headaches to keep you up at night!
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:01 am

Garth,
How’s the proverb go? if we all threw our problems in the center of a circle then raced each other to grab some back, we would take our own again”
I think problems are to be expected along the way. I even planned for mine. Serenity Now!

One of the fun things with this project is watching all of you do yours and seeing the progress each makes. Rooting for each other when something arises and then seeing someone like Cody and his bride reach their goal and take their first trip.

Funny, as I was applying another coat of Helmsman Urethane to the entire outside yesterday I was thinking “this could be aluminum” your build looks great!
Ralph
Last edited by western traveler on Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:25 am

I dedicated yesterday to getting a last coat of Helmsman satin urethane applied to the exterior (for now) so I can start assembling, things like the hatch, porch lights, fan and doors. I need to make a run to town for fasteners, and other miscellaneous items like MORE FUSES! I am waiting for a friend to come over with his meter.

By the way Challenger doors do not come with mounting hardware.

I used a green pad to start. I then used a good brush followed with tipping using a wide chisel point foam brush. No expert but way better than my first attempt with the walls way back when.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:53 am

western traveler wrote:I dedicated yesterday to getting a last coat of Helmsman satin urethane applied to the exterior (for now) so I can start assembling, things like the hatch, porch lights, fan and doors. I need to make a run to town for fasteners, and other miscellaneous items like MORE FUSES! I am waiting for a friend to come over with his meter.

By the way Challenger doors do not come with mounting hardware.

I used a green pad to start. I then used a good brush followed with tipping using a wide chisel point foam brush. No expert but way better than my first attempt with the walls way back when.

Is that switch the only thing that trip things? If so that pretty ez that switch or wire,
Do as you are and don't let it rub you :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby western traveler » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:39 am

Twisted lines,
Good advice. While in the city yesterday I was walking by a lighting department and it occurred to me that if I don’t get the lights sorted out there are some pretty nice battery powered ones out there these days. It’s not like I will end up with a couple holes and wires dangling from them though I would prefer to get it sorted out.

If I can figure out how to hold the hatch in place while working I want to fit the hinge today. Maybe a strap over everything.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:33 pm

western traveler wrote:If I can figure out how to hold the hatch in place while working I want to fit the hinge today. Maybe a strap over everything.

…and this is how I did it.
western traveler
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals