Gypsy Caravan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Rae wrote:Steve, do you plan to do a website of photos for this project? I'd love to include it in my links page, if you're willing. I can't wait to see the finished project. It looks amazing as it stands.

Rae,

Do I sense a new project in your future? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby EffieRover » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:A few wagons around a fire pit, the sauna wagon off to the side, yeah, I could live there. 8)

-snippage-

It isn't going all that fast, I have about 60 or so hours in it so far, and no celestory roof on this one, it has to fit in and out of the garage. I do wish I had the room to build it though, maybe next time. Really enjoyed the revisit of late to Doug's celestory roof tutorial on the forum.

Compared to my builds, you're moving at warp speed :)

And how about living in there; here's a guy doing it: http://the-vardo.spaces.live.com/
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Is there some (gypsy) significance to the hexagon windows, or are they just for fun?
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby Rae » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:51 pm

Do I sense a new project in your future?
Oooooohhh, no. I have WAY too much to do as it is... :shock:
:--)

Rae

My nose is so big, it doesn't return Spielberg's calls.
Rae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:10 pm

Karl Stevens wrote:Is there some (gypsy) significance to the hexagon windows, or are they just for fun?

Just windows, mostly for light so it won't be so cave like. 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

new pictures

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm

have a couple of new pictures to post. Most of the inside walls are up. 1/8" luan plywood for most of them. The outside walls will be 1/4" red oak plywood. I put the faux stained glass film on one of the windows to see how it would look. Still need to make the trim for the windows

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Am I right at guessing the door will be in the front? Are you going to make a landing on the tongue? With a rail? How about the front roofline...any thoughts on how to minimize drag while towing? :?

Great looking trailer....Love it.!! :thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm

Micro469 wrote:Am I right at guessing the door will be in the front? Are you going to make a landing on the tongue? With a rail? How about the front roofline...any thoughts on how to minimize drag while towing? :?

Great looking trailer....Love it.!! :thumbsup:

Hi John,

Thanks for the thumb

Yup, door on the front, it will be a two piece door that opens at the top and the bottom. A landing, or down south, a porch will be on the tongue. The roof will have a 6" overhang in the front and back. If I was very worried about drag while towing, it wouldn't be flat in the front. However it is much shorter than most stand up travel trailers and only 88" wide at the widest point at the roof edge. It will be interesting to see how much different the gas mileage will be between the teardrop and this trailer.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby EffieRover » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:If I was very worried about drag while towing, it wouldn't be flat in the front. However it is much shorter than most stand up travel trailers and only 88" wide at the widest point at the roof edge. It will be interesting to see how much different the gas mileage will be between the teardrop and this trailer.

I remember reading on one of the vardo sites (not sure if it's one you have here or not) that one of those flange-thingees mounted on the tow vehicle made a humongous impact on gas mileage. That was for a full-height wall, but the builder mentioned hitting a headwind was like hitting a brick wall. Just in case :)

Still lookin' great. Love the window film ... that's a nice touch.
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby rhltechie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 pm

really cool steve :applause: you do great work!
rhltechie
The 300 Club

Postby planovet » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:04 pm

Nice job so far Steve! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I wish I could work that fast or I would be finished already!
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:23 pm

planovet wrote:Nice job so far Steve! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I wish I could work that fast or I would be finished already!

Mark,

Thanks, but you know the old idiom, "The devil is in the details" Things are coming to an abrupt slowdown as all the mistakes I've made are starting to haunt me as I try to make them flow into a workable plan. It is fun though, trying to stay a few steps ahead of painting myself into a corner.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby rmclarke » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:13 am

Steve_Cox wrote:...all the mistakes I've made are starting to haunt me as I try to make them flow into a workable plan. It is fun though, trying to stay a few steps ahead of painting myself into a corner.

Ooooo....I know this feeling.....but dang, Steve, that is a COOL trailer.....me thinks I hear the ethereal sound of gypsy violins wafting through warm evening air already...
:lol:
Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Re: new pictures

Postby Outlaw » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 am

Steve_Cox wrote:have a couple of new pictures to post. Most of the inside walls are up. 1/8" luan plywood for most of them. The outside walls will be 1/4" red oak plywood. I put the faux stained glass film on one of the windows to see how it would look. Still need to make the trim for the windows

Steve, this looks amazing! May I ask where you found this window film? I have a 1960 Scotty that I plan to theme as an Irish Pub on wheels. This is exactly what i'm looking for a few of the windows :thumbsup:
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:58 am

Outlaw wrote:Steve, this looks amazing! May I ask where you found this window film? I have a 1960 Scotty that I plan to theme as an Irish Pub on wheels. This is exactly what i'm looking for a few of the windows :thumbsup:

Eric,

I think the trailer is starting to look more and more like a loaf of bread, but I've been on a low carb diet for a few months. :lol:

The window film came from E-bay. Here's a link - Ebay window film
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals