1st build, cargotear

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

1st build, cargotear

Postby regis101 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Greetings. I'm going to start a new trend with a low buck, ( yeah, right ) lightweight cargo trailer in the teardrop style. It should be less than 500 lbs including the trailer. The trailer is a TSC 4 x 8 open floor 1500#

We have a 78 VW camper that is used for the sleeping portion part of the program. It will also serve as the tow vehicle. Wish me luck?

The kids are now 8 and 6.5 as of this writing. They and their toys take up space equal to the wife and myself. I had the idea of getting a cargo trailer to haul and store the camping gear and all that equates to that. Building it in the teardrop shape adds some style. We're up to four bikes, three ice chests, coupla shade canopies , a tent, and now the dog since there is room in the Bus, four suitcases, boxes of food, wine, firewood, the toys, chairs, etc. Yes, all of that was crammed into a VW Bus. Even our camping friends are amazed at how I could pack it in.

So now, this. I did my best to base it from the Honeymoon Trailer in the Vintage Plans link at the top of the page. I needed to base it from something so I started with as early a replica as I could find. For now it will be used as a cargo hauler. I can always add a galley later if I want to go full blown.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Very nice, Regis,
I like the classic profile! Looks like you're well on your way.
Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby regis101 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:02 pm

Had a bad day. Did a lot today. Pretty much finished except for some trim work. The shell is done as far as I'm concerned. I'll let it air out and breathe a bit and paint it next weekend.

The tape measure didn't cooperate. The jig saw was breaking blades and cutting crooked. It was hot. I should've grabbed a sheet of 3/4 ply instead of 1/2. Should have used (good) plywood. Coulda used a coupla more 1 x 2 and 2 x 2. The level was a half a bubble off or maybe it was me. Had plenty of screws, though. I used stainless piano hinges. Works fine for this application.

I ended up using horizontal spars in the hatch. I tried to cut vertical ribs but it wasn't happening today. That's all I have to say about that. On a good note, the horizontal build is satisfactory.

Also had to do a bit of rewiring to the TSC trailer. They had the wires laying on the top of the angle iron. I drilled 1/2" holes and used short pieces of 1/2" fuel hose as grommets to get the wires below the deck.

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Tongue weight is 57#. The trailer weighs 190#. The trailer jack is 17#. The spare is 20#. I'll weigh the shell tomorrow. My guess is 160.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby meach4x4 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Very nice job, Regis.

What are your plans for finishing the exterior?

As far as towing with the bus, I have some friends in Arizona that use a bus to pull a T@b trailer (weighs ~1700 lbs) and they claim it really isn't that bad. I don't know what year their's is, but it is the pop top camper like yours. So, you should be ok (at least, based on what they are saying.

Are you sure you are going to be able to fit all that cargo in the tear? I'm trying to envision 4 bikes... but then, if it went into the bus, it oughta be a breeze packing it into the TD, right?

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks for the kind words. My first thought was to build a 4 x 8 x 20" cargo box with a full lid. A yakima style bike rack for four would've been bolted to the lid. The lid would have to be hinged along the 8' side either left or right to have complete access. But Teardrops are so cool. Going to paint the roof white and the sides green to closely match the Bus.

The bikes do take up some real estate. The kids' are still smallish. They'll go in the middle between the two adult bikes. All four will be toward the front.

There will be lots of nooks and crannies to fill.

The Bus cargo floor is about 20 sq ft. One ice chest will probably stay inside with drinks and snacky food. The suitcases could stay inside also. If worse comes to worst, the bikes can be put on the bolt on front bumper bike rack. I may even put a hitch on the back of the trailer for the receiver style bike rack that I also have.

But I will test this all out at an October camping GTG. It won't be ready for this weekends camping festivity.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:02 am

It's a lot better than a cargo box! :thumbsup: :applause:

Good for you! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby regis101 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Another set back. But it was a small sacrifice for the greater gain. I was moving the trailer around a bit in the garage and the rear hatch plywood caught the corner of an open tool drawer. All my fault. It tore a 5" slice in the 1/8"plywood. So I removed it.

And in doing so, I was able to finish off the bottom of the hatch as it meets the floor. I lost an inch but that's OK. I also removed the piano hinge that was on the surface and placed it below the roof ply for a cleaner look.

I had to remove the hinge spar and an 1 1/2" of the front part of the roof ply. Added a second spar to the hatch and all is well. A bit stronger also.

And the band played on...

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:38 pm

I'm going to consider that the shell is done. (again) I'm glad that the hatch piano hinge is below the roof ply. Looks cleaner. I do have about 1/2" of spring back at the bottom of the hatch. Coupla turn buckles and it'll suck right in.

All in all, I'm glad to have had a chance to build something that's as American as apple pie. If I was do do it over again, it'd be with good 3/4 ply and 2 x 2 spars for the main body. The hatch would be with vertical ribs. I'd also notch the vertical ribs for 1 x 2 spars. The roof would be 1 layer of 1/8 masonite and cover that with 1/8 ply.

I'm sure it will be a conversation piece for many campouts to come.

This is a cargo trailer so for hardware it will be hasps and slide bolts. Nothing fancy. Function vs form.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll get to sanding and painting this beast.

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby Jst83 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:55 pm

regis101 wrote:I also removed the piano hinge that was on the surface and placed it below the roof ply for a cleaner look.

I went that way (putting it under the skin) it does make a cleaner look but you'll have to put a rubber type gasket over the gap or the water will run right into the galley. I woke up to water running into my galley like a shower. Luckily I have a pass through and I was able to lay towels down to soak it up.

Nice looking tear I do like the profile :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby regis101 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks for the tip. They say that the definition of a hot rod is a car that's never finished. I'm beginning to think this way about the teardrop. Unless you have a definite plan in mind. Maybe this is why some folks on here do multiple builds.

This one is going to be primed inside and out with an oil enamel and top coated with some exterior paint. The roof skin will have to be sanded between a coupla coats of the primer to get rid of the fuzz from the wood.

You are right though. Water will find its way inside through every nook and cranny. Our rainy season out here in Cali lasts for about 3-4 months during the winter season. Otherwise it's blue skies and sunshine. I'll bring along one of those pop up shade canopies as a garage, be it rain or shine.

If I ever build another, I'd paint or seal at least the edges and seams before putting it together. Same as when we were kids and would build a model car. You're supposed to paint the tiny pieces while there still on the framework. THEN you cut them away, trim and glue them together. The final product comes out much nicer. I'll never learn.

This one is for hauling the camping gear and whatnot. I won't worry too much if it gets wet. Things that need to stay dry will stay in the Bus like sleeping bags, clothes and food.

Happy trails,
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:05 pm

regis101 wrote:Tongue weight is 57#. The trailer weighs 190#. The trailer jack is 17#. The spare is 20#. I'll weigh the shell tomorrow. My guess is 160.

The shell came in at 168#. The two hatch supports are 3#. I'm adding 5 pieces of 1/8" x 2 x 47 strips of flat aluminum to build up the TSC trailer cross members to make the floor flat. They weigh 6#.

So the combined dry weight of this cargo trailer is, 404#. Tongue weight without the spare is 62#, 60.6# would be 15%. It is nose heavy due to design. Tongue length could be tweaked is desired.

Should be a user friendly trailer for a while. My goal was 1k GTW. I'll be able to add the ~500 lbs of cargo and make the tongue weight reasonable by placing the heavy items toward the rear. Ice chests, wood, wine, beer and water weigh a lot.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:13 pm

A gallon of the A-100 Sher-Will oil based primer weighs in at 17#. I'll have to wait until the priming is finished to determine how much more weight it adds. It'll take a coupla days for this to dry. Good stuff. Then I'll lean it over and paint the bottom. I used the oil primer because I had it from a previous house project.

I found a green that closely matches the Bus. The two sides, inside and out will be painted this color. Add the hatch supports and we're all good.

I did add two extra runners ( 2 1/2 x 96 ) along the sides at the bottom using 3/8 ply. This is to take up the extra width of the TSC trailer. It's inside width dimension is 49". Go figure.

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 pm

This is a shot of what I did to get the wiring below deck. 1/2" fuel hose in a 1/2" hole. Ty-wraps are each side of the hoses to hold the wiring snug but not too tight.

It also shows the 1/8" aluminum flat stock needed to raise the cross members to the same height as the perimeter angle. The cross members are below the edge angle iron. I counter sunk 10-24 flat head mach screws to be at least flush, if not a tad below the flat stock.

Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby regis101 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:55 pm

This is as close as I could get to match the color of the Bus. It should be totally dry by noon tomorrow. I'll put on some hasps, slide latches and the hatch props. This is where I'm gonna leave it for a while until it develops its own personality or others opinions. I'll bolt it to the trailer before attaching any hardware in case it tweaks. I know it doesn't look like much now but it'll settle in on its own in time. Final weigh in tomorrow.
Mmm, visualize whirled peas. Long live the 70's

The Bus is shinier since this picture. I rubbed it out with Simple Green, polishing compound and now only use car washing soap.
Last edited by regis101 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals