Building of Lil Swan - Page 9-Built Frame Appears 12.3.2010

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Wheel

Postby danlott » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:57 pm

This is the one that I like.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:25 pm

They are all nice but I prefer either of the five spoke over the seven spoke and like this five spoke best...

Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Just a quick update. Our Lil Swan #1 frame will be done next week so I,ll be able to get photos posted. :pictures: :thumbsup: ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Just curious if you have your design all worked out...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 pm

mikeschn wrote:Just curious if you have your design all worked out...

Mike...

Not all Mike I do have some questions for you as well as some component legal issues here yet.

Wheels and tires have been decided upon as well as lighting and fan.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Classic Finn wrote:

Mike...

Not all Mike I do have some questions for you as well as some component legal issues here yet.

Who is drawing up your plans for your walls to be cut with the cnc?

Are you using Andrews drawing?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:52 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:

Mike...

Who is drawing up your plans for your walls to be cut with the cnc?

Are you using Andrews drawing?

Mike...

Mike the frame is
137 centimeters = 4.49475066 feet wide.
244 centimeters = 96.0629921 inches long.

Normal size of ply used is 1220x2440mm

The CNC plans are by Andrew as well as me so far but not much yet as Im not too good with this. There is a 25 centimeter flat spot now and cant seem to fix the problem??? Basically stuck. Havent found a sun roof yet that would fit it. However Id like to fit a Finntastic Fan but will not fit that space.
The ply is 2440mm long. No harm done yet as no cutting has been done.
Have plans to use the 11 inch Kit fenders from Grant and the Special Falgar Alloy
Wheels. Tires are 205.75.14,s

Mike the original plans were done by Andrew for the Peugeot that we had but now I need to redo it a bit since we have the Mazda 3. The Mazda can pull 550 kilo unbraked. And 1200 kilo braked.

Received a call that I should go and take a look what we have so far. Need to find the proper location for the axle now. Battery holder under frame is done. Need to install the stabilizer jacks shortly. ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Gee I found my Build Journal on the bottom of the page.. :o However the news is that the 1st Lil Swan Tear Frame is now mostly done with the exception of galvanizing and powder paint.

Here is a sneek a peek. :twisted: On this pic you will see the Finnish Made Torsion Axle starting at 0 degree angle. Axle is made locally and with German made hubs from Knott with 4 x 100 bolt pattern.

We added the level to show you the starting angle of the hubs. I will have more photos after work since its so late already I need to get to bed.

Here is a Sneek a Peek photo just to show it is coming together. :D

Right now the bottom of the frame is 350 millimeters from the ground. ;)
Testing with 155 R 13 Wheels. 350 millimeters = 13.7795276 inches

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Here are a couple more pics of the Lil Swan frame being tested with a set of fenders I purchased a few years ago from the States. These pics are sort of dark however Im going to take a drive out to the frame this weekend or Monday latest. I,ll get new pics then too. ;)

Those are not the wheels I picked out either they are only for testing so far. ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Next its off to have the sandwich/foam flooring core made.

Bottom will be fiberglass or stainless steel & inside floor Finnish Marine Baltic Birch.

Here,s the drawing of the flooring core. It will be made similarly however to match perfectly to the frame. ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Heikki..Looks great!!! Is that the EU approved towbar? Or did you find a way to work through that for the prototype...

Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:15 am

Juneaudave wrote:Heikki..Looks great!!! Is that the EU approved towbar? Or did you find a way to work through that for the prototype...

Hi Dave..Good Question.. I tried calling my partner yesterday to find out about this same thought. I didnt reach him as of yet.

I,ll let you know what he says. He told me though that the frame will come pre inspected so Im not worried. Im just a little curious though.

Thank You for the nice comment. ;) Im so pleased that finally my axle searches take me to my back yard. Sure helps a lot. I didnt know that they were being made here. Im going to see if I can get photos of the making process once I go there. :)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Heikki..Looks great!!! Is that the EU approved towbar? Or did you find a way to work through that for the prototype...

Hello Dave

And to whom also may be questioning the towbar and about the many times Ive stated that the towbar needs to be Eu Approved. It is still so.

The towbar you see on the Lil Swan frame is only for testing and to check for the correct ride height.

Here they, meaning the inspectors are "very Finnicky" about the trailer riding level with the tow vehicle so this is the reason for this test to make sure before installing the actual towbar. :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:41 pm

"Here they, meaning the inspectors are "very Finnicky" about the trailer riding level with the tow vehicle so this is the reason for this test to make sure before installing the actual towbar.

This does not make a great deal of sense, as how the trailer mates with the TV is more a function of the draw bar height which will very from vehicle to vehicle, e.g. I had to buy a drop draw bar to get MM #1 to tow level. #7 has three more inches of ground clearance and I will have to either buy a new draw bar or if I am lucky turn over my existing one for more height.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:"Here they, meaning the inspectors are "very Finnicky" about the trailer riding level with the tow vehicle so this is the reason for this test to make sure before installing the actual towbar.

This does not make a great deal of sense, as how the trailer mates with the TV is more a function of the draw bar height which will very from vehicle to vehicle, e.g. I had to buy a drop draw bar to get MM #1 to tow level. #7 has three more inches of ground clearance and I will have to either buy a new draw bar or if I am lucky turn over my existing one for more height.

Hello there Shadow Catcher, We know that for foreigners reading and hearing about our laws and restrictions and in addition to Eu Laws none of it makes sense. It doesnt to us either. :lol: :lol: Ohh and Im about the only one thats been keepn on keepn up with this. :lol:

But believe me its a jungle of beauracracy here with this teardrop hobby. :? :? :lol: :o On our present tear, if you only new what Ive gone thru with it to get it approved.. :? :? :o :shock: But Im over the top with most of it..Ohh wait a new law came effective as of Jan 2008. But I will not get into it at this time. :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals