Building The Atma Travelear Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby DMcCam » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Thank you very much guys! Actually she's got a lot more imperfections than the pictures show. This is my first attempt at this kind of cabinetry and it's far from perfect. Thank you again for your kindness.

We did get a few more things done this weekend though.

Here are all the pieces for the upper galley cabinets ready to assemble.

The box like contrivance in the upper left is how I'm handling my electrical chase. Hopefully it will end up looking like a solid center support.

This is a shot of the dados for the upper sliding track glued to the top shelf on its back.

This is just a rough fitting of the entire upper cabinet. I need to wait a day or so for the glue to cure before final installation.

Opened up the drivers side sliding panels here.

Finally installed the aft interior doors and hardware. The darn laminated panels have cupped a bit since we cut them from the drawer faces. Not too sure what to do about it, maybe try bending them back.

Now I have to figure out how to handle the little center door. Then install the front cabinet doors.

All the best,

Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Looking great Dave, can't wait to go camping with you so you can do the newbie tours! Two years later we are off the newbie track, it is now your turn. As for the middle cabinet, what about a lift up or drop down door? Just my two cents (debbie). Had a great time at wolf creek this weekend, which is right next to ice house. Maybe we can actually do ice house next year, without the snow? :lol:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 am

Hi Debbie, It will be great to camp with you two and be tour guide for sure! I want to do a drop down door for that little guy, it's the hinges that are proving to be a challenge. Perhaps we need to schedule the Ice House camping trip for August just in case! ;)

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby copout » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 am

Lovin this build :applause:
Veni Vidi Vici
copout
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:18 am

Hi Dave,

Your cabinetry looks great...very professional!

Regarding your footboard cabinet, have you thought about not installing a door on the center cabinet? I think it looks great without one.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Hey Dave, would love to, but probably have to wait until Sept. as My August is full, and then snow again? We are headed to Columbine over labor Day, up in Northern Nevada, any interest? So far we have one other couple, not teardroppers, going with us. Anyway, would love to try and get in a little trip before the snow falls with you and Johnny. Just got a phone call from another Reno builder who is about finished with a restore project and would like to get together too. I referred him to you and Johnny so be expecting a PM! Name's Shane.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Oh, about the hinge. What about piano hinge, cut to size? Or will it not open far enough? That is what we used on the tongue box. Oh, now I see, it will probably interfer with the drawer below. What about cabinet hidden hinges the reset into the door? Or maybe make a do it yourself hinge out of non- stretch fabric?
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Have you considered a tambour door for the center cabinet? I think it would look great with those curved drawers.
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby DMcCam » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks for the ideas guys, leaving it off would match the front cabinets though.

Here's the little fellow placed on an 1/8" spacer strip to show what I'm on about.

The space was to be for rainy-day media and the door face was to hold a little DVD/CD player. I've been working on some sort of thin slide-out rails with a 90 degree hinge... we'll see.

I'm going to get back to building maybe tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 pm

DMcCam wrote:The space was to be for rainy-day media and the door face was to hold a little DVD/CD player. I've been working on some sort of thin slide-out rails with a 90 degree hinge... we'll see.
I'm going to get back to building maybe tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

I plan on doing the slide-out drawer/90 degree hinge approach for a little flat screen TV. My execution though is the problem. I'd love to see your approach to borrow some design ideas.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby down under tech » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Dave: Your TD is looking very good. I love the inside cabinets with the nice curves. I have not had much time to let you know how much I enjoy your quality workmanship. I have been following along with your build and it is coming together at a fast pace.
Keep up the good work... :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 am

Thank you Johnny, I've been thoroughly enjoying your build. It's especially sweet now that you are camping!

Hey Tom, I found a pair of surface 90 degree hinges that look like they'll bridge the gap and support the weight with ease. To extend the shelf I think I'm looking at making a 'U' shaped heavy wire swing out support. It would make it possible to hold about an 8" deep player.

Here's a quick sketch of it.

All the Best,

Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Got a few things done today starting with the blocking between the spars. When I had the CNC done I included the blocking as one continuous 1 1/2" cutout matching the roof curve. I liked how Steve Frederick uses blocking like this in his manual (a must have if you're going to build one of these). It sandwiches the headliner between the blocking and the wall mortise. Another reason for me to do it was the little 3/8" mortise I had for the headliner left only 3/8" meat to attach the final 1/8" birch ply and trim to.

Here is the long single piece positioned with clamps to the passenger exterior wall. Using a square I traced each side of the spars to the outside then by placing the square on top of the piece the curve gave me the angle of each cut (or pretty close).

Once I had these cut-lines, I used the radial arm saw to make the cuts. Here you can see all the front blocks sitting in place.

I finished all the fitting of the blocks to the hatch spars.

Once the blocking was all fitted on the passenger side I glued and clamped each one in place then used the brad nailer to hold them tight.

When I finished the passenger side I repeated everything on the drivers side.

Here are the drivers side blocks glued and nailed in place. We'll use the belt sander to make them all flush with the walls.

Afterward I met our new Reno Teardrop member Shane. He's a great guy and was a most gracious host showing me his sweat cub restoration all ready to camp! I hope he'll post some pictures.

Cheers,

Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rudyjr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:38 am

Looks great Dave! I bet that really strentghens everything up real nice. Keep up the nice work, Jim
Rudyjr
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Radial arm saw! Oh my thumb, my thumb. ! :o :( Glad you are not so stupidly inclined! Great work, Dave, more and more better each day!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals