"Red Woof Inn" 10-16 update Hubcaps!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks Kid, She did get some of the nerves in her middle finger but like I told her they will reconnect themselves that small it will just be a lil painful longer than she was thinking and her finger will have tiny spasms but she will be fine. Anytime you want to send that pesky snow east just go ahead and do it for us, it was 101 with 30% humidity today at Ft Benning! I left at 3pm went to the hotel and went back at 8pm to work so it would cool down some :lol:. Hope you get started soon bud.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SonofT@B » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:33 am

Wow, Cliff, so sorry to hear about the accident glad the wife is OK! Yes it's been too hot to do anything here in Georgia (and I guess half the rest of the nation). I'm only thiking of camping in my dreams. I told my friend who has the boat down on the inter coastal waterway that it's too hot even to fish and he said nothings biting down there anyway.

So I'm doing everything from the armchair here as far as camping goes. I did move the T@B to a better location in the backyard a few minutes ago and that almost wore me out!

Will be checking for updates and pics...
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:29 pm

....1 pint of blood later (all over my garage floor) and 15 stitches later.....

Man, glad she's OK. Sounds like she almost had one of those "perfect storm" accidents.

The same thing happened to a buddy of mine at our plant the other day. He was just "walking" by a machine he has worked around for a decade. One stumble (that should have, at worst, ended in a fall to the floor) had him cascading like a pinball ball.....ended with broken ribs and severely bruised kidney.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Well she is doing better today and got all stitches on the smaller cut removed and every other one out of her middle finger. She is on her way with friends to TN for the rest of the week. The sheet metal is now in the attic way out of the way so that won't happen to her again. Mike I've been getting up at 3:30 am in the morning and getting on the jobsite early to measure for the kitchens, move kitchens and check installs so I can be back to the inside work (a/c) by the hot part of the day. I get home Friday and I will head to bed early and do the same on the teardrop Saturday morning, as long as I'm not cutting anything should be no complaints. Woods that one thing I know from experience of working on jobsites, you never know when the smallest trip or fall is going to be harmful or deadly. I watched one of the fence guys putting up a 4 ft wooden picket fences while we were taking a break from unloading some kitchens, and while we watched the guy dropped his nail gun, it hit and shot him in the knee with a 3" nail. We all ran to help the guy until they could get him loaded and to the hospital and it turned out his safety piece at the end of the nailgun had been broken and was stuck open. You just never know.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Ok can we say alil bit of knowledge is dangerous? We after consideration it has been decided that I can't cut using a jigsaw worth a crap and a router......well lets not talk about that! While trying to build the hatch I shared with Larry (LDK) an issue I ran across with the back hatch where I noticed that myside didn't match up and the hatch was 1/2" different than the sides :

I had missed cut when I used the jigsaw and then sanded it down to try and even it out so much either side does not match. The doors I was looking tonight also are missed cut and I think will be too much off to look good. I'm planning on disassembling tonight and taking the sides with me to Columbus thus week and when my installer comes down get him to help me to cut out 2 new sides doors and all and reput it all back together next friday night. Then next Saturday I will get a friend to come help to wire it. I won't meet the deadline I set for myself but I may have it campable by then.... maybe. I will atleast have the Do Drop In to take for Tear Days of Summer atleast.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok tear down took a depressing 45 mins and now I'm back to the subfloor and the cabinets and all the precut spars and inner panel. Once I get the sidewalls recut I don't expect it to take as long to put it back together as I can reuse all of the materials except possibly 1 support. Since I'm taking the stuff to recut the sides with me I will predrill the holes and counter sink them before I come home this Friday and have the sides sanded. Well I hope it will be that easy anyway :lol:.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LDK » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:17 pm

Hey Cliff

Hang in there man! I'm sure you'll get everything squared away and get back on schedule. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Loader » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:39 am

Sorry to hear about it Cliff, but you'll get it! We all make mistakes during our builds. Hang in there!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:26 am

Mistakes definitely happen! Sometimes they end up being a blessing in disguise... Learn from them and move forward!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Cliff first I said a prayer for your wife I hope she recovers fully.
as for doing a rebuild in days long since passed I built airplanes out in my front garage real live sit in and fly planes.
if you want it right and do your best and it still turns out wrong
do not I repeat do not give up do not throw anything take some time off
you will find it's easier than trying to get in a hurry and mess up again.
you can guess how I gained this wisdom
so be it an airplane or a teardrop take your time there's no hurry to get it built.

good luck pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Cliff,

If you haven't already patented the name "Redoux" I may have to rename my teardrop. I started and stopped, and built and re-built so many times, I should be on my third teardrop. Instead, I'm almost three years into my first build, and still no cabinets.

Hang in there and take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement folks I really appreciate it!! :) I took it down to just the flooring but I kept all the spars and all the rest of the materials so it will be easier when I redo the sides. My beautiful wife is doing much better and she at first couldn't figure out why I wasn't happy with the way the tear looked until I showed her some of the pics from the site of peoples hatches and she could see how I was off on it all. I will start the sides again but I'm going to have a friend cut them for me since frankly its hard for me to cut inside the lines with a jigsaw :lol: and well a router is more dangerous for me :lol:. I know my limits with these tools right now and don't mind letting my friend expertise show. On my next build I will have required the skills to do it myself or I'm making a Bolus foamie :twisted: on the Do Drop frame. I'm not a perfectionist but I just want to be proud of what I built and not have it look like I threw it together. Like I said thanks for the support and encouragement.

Cliff & Sheri

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SonofT@B » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 pm

How's it going Cliff...hope all are well and all is well.
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:16 am

Hey Mike, all is well just working over in Columbus 60hrs a week for another couple of months. Everyone is doing well and we're heading to Indian Springs four a 4 day weekend of camping in the pop up for the 4th. The tear is on the slow burner while I recut the sides and then will be back on medium building :lol:. Ya'll doing ok?

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Well I'm back!!! This morning got up early and went and picked up some new ply with eucalypus core (supposed really good for keeping ply straight?!?!) and a few other odds and ends, took the wife to brakfast at the Waffle House, and a quick run thru the famers market! Got home around 11am and got started working on the tear. After taking 2 hours to clear the crap ot of the way and off the tear I was ready! 8 hrs later both sides are cut, doors cut out, walss attached and glued, and most of the spars are back in. Tomorrow morning I will try and finish reinstalling the rest of the spars, either reinstall all the cabinets or decide if I'm going to redesign the cabinets, install the headliner and start stauing the inside walls. The new ply was not prefinished but was even better ply and cheaper so I can just finish it my self, plus will match the cabinets better. Well thats it for now but will have better update tomorrow with pics.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals