"Red Woof Inn" 10-16 update Hubcaps!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The Black Hole" build 4-21 primer and color

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:29 am

CliffinGA wrote:91268

Come on Cliff - paint goes on the TRAILER

Its really lookin good :beer:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: "The Black Hole" build 4-23 We got color!!!

Postby Forrest747 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 am

Golfball effect
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Zach and Forrester thats called trying the paint out first before putting it on the trailer 8) :lol:. Really it was the way I was painting in 25mph wind, I learned when I was epoxying to start on roof first and then the sides. Well while I was doing the roof I was trying not to get to far over while leaning over the roof edge and the pan dripped on the ladder top, I didn't notice til after I had already leaned and placed my left arm on the top!! All well it got painted along withmyself and nothing mineral spirits didn't clean up!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby down under tech » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Cliff: You are getting there... Your TD is looking like it is getting close. I think you chose the wrong color though. Red will draw to much attention to you. Cops will find any excuse they can to pull you over. They look for flashy red vehicles to stop. No speeding now... Now to be serious, It will look very nice going down the road or parked at your favorite camp site. I'm glad to see you are moving along.
:) "It 'ill get done"...
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Of course its red. Would not think of having it anyother color. Did find out that they do not have a tractor supply store within 600 miles. The red will make it easier to spot if stranded in a white out storm. At a tail gate party will be the ultimate party spot really do rv'ers going to mess with the dull boring factory finish. Proudly painting mine red and when I come to Texas to watch the Utes or Buckeyes beat Texas Cliff and I will be side by side tailgating having a beer.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi Cliff

Just checking to see what you've done lately to the hole. I put the critter in the driveway about a month and a half ago and it has been rained on alot and no leaks anywhere. Bone dry. I'm proud of that fact. I build a divider wall in my garage so the critter got booted out. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun May 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Hey Larry been working alot and out of town alot with family, weddings and graduations that I have gotten 5 coats of paint on it. Getting up in 6 hrs and finish routing out 6 more new spars for my hatch, first two I got around to this evening after looking at the coat of paint I out on yesterday am. I will sand down the front of the tear and a side section also in am and get them ready for a hopefully final coat of the red paint. I plan on getting the hatch finished and skinned by noon tomorrow and then I will head out to go see mark aka millstones foamie tear. Wish I was farther along on it but they got rid of the guy doing my job inside of Atl and now I'm doing 2 peoples jobs and its a pain on the build but I'm grateful to be still working! Unfortunately this will be a short week as we will be heading to South Carolina to camp out with friends and for a graduation =, should be fun but no work on the tear again. Thanks for checking bud and hope all is well with your family!

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

"The Black Hole" build 4-23 We got color!!!

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Mon May 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Cliff,
How did the hatch go today. I guess 3rd times a charm. I got to do mine for the 3rd time today and did not get done. Hope it went well!!!!
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon May 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Mostly went well, routering the spars went well til 3rd one then when I picked it up noticed the new spar was smaller than the template. When I flipped the router over I was shocked to see the flush cut bit had lost the bearing and screw that held it together! Hal hour of searching and I was able to find a newer and better quality one I had purchased and thought was too long and punched out the other five spars. Decided to go with a 1 1/2" top hinge piece and 3/4" on bottom and doubled up so outside spars are 1 1/2" and the center 4 are 3/4". Connecting the outer pieces went well but having to use 2 1/2" screws coming from the top split the spars :x on 3 of the four. So I backed the screws out a bit and filled with glue in the splits and clamped them. HAd storms come thru this evening and checked before I headed in and they all tok a smalled 3" and look stronger now that there glued together than before!

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shootr » Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 am

This is the first build journal I looked at after joining up yesterday. Thanks for the details and info (good and bad) of building one of these yourself. My goal is to research all summer and start on one this fall. Hang tough, looks like the end is in sight!
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks Shootr for the comments! Well as you may have read I started on the hatch and even got it skinned when I could get time to worked on it. Decided last night to install the hinge on hatch and the td and see how it fit with the help of my lovely assistant. Well it sucked is all I can say! One side went in fine (L) and the other (R) top went in but the bottom stopped at around 2" out. So I spent an hour playing around and adjusting it and then just decided to strap it in with the right side all way in and see if I could get it to pull straighter. Well that didn't work either so I pulled skin off and it went in straighter but still off. Not sure how but it looks like this at the ottom /=/ so tomorrow I'm going to cut a 1/4" from both sides of the bottom piece and see if I can bring it in enough so will go in with out hitting the sides at all :worship: and sand the glue off the spars so I can cut more skin and reskin it again next week. Didn't do it today because of all my good ol neighbors mowing their grass I couldn't put another coat of paint on the tear and doors so I just cleaned out the garage and rearranged it and was shocked! I had so much stuff from this project that half of my frive way was covered in plywood pieces and partial 2x4's! So I spent 2 hrs with the chop saw and now have a 50 gal square trash can and 3'x4' stack off firewood for the fire pit and camping! Oh and a truckload of misc crap I picked up for the build that will be dumped in one of my neighborhoods I'm friends with the builder in one of their big dumpsters. Thats it for now, thanks for checking in guys!

Cliff and Sheri :thumbsup:

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: "The Black Hole" build 6-8 some update

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Well been busier than a dog with two tails chasing himself lately but I am working on it atleast an hr an evening whenI get home! Besides thats thes coolest pert of the day, around here it was hot as blazes when it should have been cooler and then when it cooled some that was just because the heat was causing it to rainevery evening :roll:. Not as much to report:
Last coats of paint on main body, 10 ft liiks great

Accent stripes painted both sides, not bad but since its black, it shows every imperfection and its same paint as rest just different color and it took one coat.

Hatch well gone thru 3 sheets of luan and still not done!

Painted the white inlet black with Rustoleum platic paint, came out great!

And then I got my trim for the doors, and there I sanded and sanded on one door and opening and the t seal still does not fit right, but I will resand and clean up doors reseal the end grain and then install the sealers and trim

Only one pic and that is almost there as far as fit but it is what it is

http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=579&image_id=96004

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: "The Black Hole" build 7-26 update

Postby Forrest747 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Looking great Cliff. I can relate its gotten upto 104 degrees in the garage. Keep up the good work.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby CHUNKYMONKEY » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

I've been checking for updates on you. Looking really good. I'm finally starting to see progress. Plan to work on it a bit next week when i'm off work and my nephews will be spending the week with me. Hopefully I'll be posting some updated pictures by next weekend.

It has been hot..that is for sure. Try and stay cool. heat can be brutal! :sweaty:
CHUNKYMONKEY
Donating Member

Postby pappaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 am

Looking good Cliff. :thumbsup:

I too, like the red. ;)

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals