Bob's Build. The Tintanic..Some Improvements

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Bob Patterson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Kirk,
Thank you, sir. I greatly appreciate your comments.
My profile will look a good bit (exactly) like DMcCam's Travelear. :shhh: Which looks a good bit like aggie79's profile, which looks a good bit like 2bits, which looks a good bit like ect., ect., ect., ...............

:applause: :applause: :applause: :D
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 am

Anybody will be able to pick yer trailer outta the bunch.. it's the one that looks "different"...exactly like all the others, but "different" LOL !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kinto » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 am

Bob Patterson wrote:I played around with the design of the interior cabinets. They are not to scale, but close enough to get an idea what they could look like.
Aft cabinets

Headboard cabinets.
I love the art deco look, too.

these look A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Kent. I appreciate your comments. The cabinets aren't supposed to be gold, they should be an oak wood grain color. The accents will be a good bit darker. I'll repost when I get them worked out to where I want them. Working on the details is a lot of fun. :thinking: A good thing since that's all I can do right now.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:44 pm

I have gotten a few things done since my last post. My axle came in.Yaaaahhhh!! :woohoo:
I ordered it with a 22 1/2 degree down start angle. What I got was the right side at the correct angle and the left side at 35 degrees. I ordered the hubs to be 5 X 4.5 inches. What I got was 4 X 4.5 inch hubs.
The start angle was easy to fix. A phone call to the place I bought the axle from will fix the other problem. They said I could keep the 4 bolt hubs. That will give me new bearings when I need them. The right hubs should be delivered tomorrow.
Got the tongue jack mounted.
I also went to the flea market again. I found a 2" ball for 2 bucks and a brand new set of 14" wheels and tires for 80 bucks a piece.
I worked on the cabinets a little bit and got them to scale. I think the color is closer, also.
I also got to work on the profile some. (Thanks Dave.)
And to mess around some.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Bobv great score on the wheels, are they regular salers at that flea market? I paid $90 a piece for mine last year for my small tear. Your axle is nice especially as they are working with you on their screw up. How is Reggie doing with the ankle? Do you think ya'll be able to drop by Cloudland this weekend? Their is more info on the Tearjerkers site (has a tabv up top) under the Georgia Chapter gatherings and under the Cloudland Canyon tab in GA chapeter. I'll be up there Friday hopefully by noon and the wife will come up Saturday afternoon. There will a great group of people there and alot I haven't met before but alot of old friends also. Come up if ya'll can would enjoy meeting ya'll.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:12 am

Whoa Bob,

I'm off the forum for a couple of days and you almost have your teardrop finished. You don't waste any time do you?

Sorry about the axle issue, thought it's good to hear that there are a few businesses left that have good customer service, and resolve any outstanding problems.

That's an incredible deal you found on your wheels and tires. Like Cliff said, I paid more than that for just one.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks Cliff. They are regular sellers at the West Georgia Flea Market. I've never bought from him before, but he sells a bunch of tires. These are regular trailer tires and wheels. He had 14" and 15" for the same price, but was out of 15's until next week. So I went with the 14's that I had planned on using anyway. Reggie is doing pretty good. She's getting up and around again. We aren't going to make Cloudland Canyon this time. Funny how building something to go camping in eats up your camping money. :lol:
And Tom, I wish I were finished, but have a long way to go. My goal is to finish mine in less time than it took you. :R
Just kidding. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours has. I love the antenna you added. Looks great. The company I have been dealing with on the axle is from Texas, Southeast Wheel. I'm sure you've heard of them. These guys have been nothing but helpful. They answered every question a newbe could have. It's just my luck that my axle got screwed up a little. The new hubs showed up this morning, so I get to put the wheels on it today and really see how things will work out. :twisted:
Next item: The floor...................
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi Tom, great guns! You're really coming along...love that profile. :D Your interior cabinet design is going to be quite striking, well done!

A few thoughts came to mind when I looked at your head board front cabinets. The reason I put the hinges up 5" from the deck on that lower face frame is for clearance of the bedding. By lowering it, you might find it difficult to open them with the pillows and bed in place. I have about 2" of deck inside the cabinet and placed the face frame outside that. Yours looks a bit narrower which is fine. It's just that now that my cabinets are in, I'm really glad I have that extra bit of room in there for grabbing stuff and cleaning. Just a couple of things to mull over if you wish.

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks Dave. Good eye on the headboard cabinets. I'll be fixing that soon. Much easier to fix in CorelDraw than to try to open a cabinet against a mattress later. I'm still playing with dimensions. Right now the cabin is at 58 X 81. I know it will change before the sawdust flies. There are more options than people think with these little things.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Oh man are you right about that. There are a thousand things to consider just in basic arrangement let alone construction. Sounds like you're going for a full extra long mattress like me (54" x 80")? My cabin is about 81 3/8" x 55 1/2" (if I matched the plans) which is going to be very tight for the traditional bedding. Of course sleeping bags would work easily.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey Bob any updates?

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bob Patterson » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:37 am

Hi Cliff. I just got back from a family reunion :tipsy: so I haven't gotten anything done lately. Before I left I was able to get the trailer registered and put some temporary lights on it so I can use it to pick up my plywood and aluminum in a few weeks. I also went to the flea market last weekend and was able to buy a Porter Cable router and a Porter Cable laminate trimmer for $40 dollars for the pair. :D They are used, but both work great. The router even had a carbide flush cut bit in it, like new. I also got a set of door hardware by Schlage that has the old '32 Ford door handle look for 10 bucks a side. I am off to the flea market today to see what else I can find.
Dave, I was trying to work a queen size mattress into the cabin, but have come up a few inches narrow. I guess I will just order a custom size to fit what I end up with (57 1/2 X 81 1/2 ??) and learn how to sew sheets to the correct size. :thinking:
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:53 am

Bob good job on the buys at the flea market and as far as the mattress goes check for futon mattresses. I 'm using one I picked up for free that is shorter than regular queens but works for us (I'm 5' 10" and she is shorter) and I'm putting in extra storage inside to make up the space. Good hunting today to ya,

Cliff :thumbsup:

ps How's Reggie doing?

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:54 pm

as far as the mattress goes check for futon mattresses.

Ditto on what Cliff said. We robbed a futon mattress from one our daughter's bedrooms with full intention of just using it temporarily on a first camp out. (She got married and left it unprotected from theft) We sleep so well on it that it is starting to look permanent. :lol:
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals