Bob's Build. The Tintanic..Some Improvements

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 am

Bob -

Dave's correct - you are humming right along in your build! I love the cabinet work and detailing (along with the rest of your build.)

Keep the sawdust flying!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Loader » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 am

Bob,

WOW! Looks great! I really like the look of those cabinets, the deco trim really gives a nice look.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks Loader and Aggie 79. I am really proud of the way the cabinets turned out. Better than I could have hoped for.
Tom, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for the great how-to information you provided in your build journal. I learned so much from you, and it is making my build go easier and better. :bowdown:

Dave, it is a four inch foam mattress. I will probably order a better one later, but for now, it will do. I am hoping to camp this spring. :worship:
I have been getting some more things done the last few days, but haven't been too good about taking pictures of everything. I got the roll pan in back done, but no pics. I ran conduit from the tongue to the rear under the trailer for running lights, but no pics.
I have been getting the wiring knocked out. I worried over this for no reason. If you spend a little time planning your wiring, it comes together pretty easily.
The running lights area. I kept it seperate from the rest of the wiring. I'll have it all bundled neatly when I button it up.
My interior AC and DC setup.
I tested the LED running lights and they look great.
Interior LED lights are just right.
I found this carpet at the box store and thought it went with the cabinets pretty good, so I bought it even though a mattress will hide it. :whistle:
The Fantastic Fan works great. These things are powerful.
I started working on the insulation today. I kept going back and forth between it and the galley cabinets. I find I do that a lot,
going from one thing to another before I finish the first thing. :?
I'm still trying to figure out how I'll do the galley cabinets. There are so many ways to go. I did pick up a stereo for the camper, and did the face frame to incorporate it.
I've also decided on a name for our teardrop. Since it is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic,
I went with the "Tintanic".
Our teardrop is unsinkable (on dry land), and I have tried to make it as plush as possible like its kinda namesake.
After coming up with the name, I did a search and found it had already been used several years ago. Oh well, it doesn't look as though that build was ever finished and the name was unused sooooo, I claim the name. ;)
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:19 pm

I've also decided on a name for our teardrop. Since it is the 100th anniversary of the Titanic,
I went with the "Tintanic".

Perfect name! Beautiful cabinets, too. Everything is very, very neat and nice. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Martiangod » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Lookin great, cabinettes are going to look great when completed, luv it when a plan comes together, me , I can't plan, just go with the flow...lol
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm

I don't critique a builder's choice in naming personally I would have chosen the Olympic...the elder sister of the Titanic.

Olympic managed too stay seaworthy for a couple of decades. It even accidentally took out a U-boat. :) That is good mojo.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Deleting a double post...
Last edited by Woodstramp on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi, Bob, just finished reading your build thread from start to finish. You do some really nice work! I'm especially loving your cabinets.
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob Patterson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:31 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Perfect name! Beautiful cabinets, too. Everything is very, very neat and nice. :thumbsup: :applause:

Martiangod wrote:Lookin great, cabinettes are going to look great when completed, luv it when a plan comes together, me , I can't plan, just go with the flow...lol

Facemeltingly Epic wrote:Hi, Bob, just finished reading your build thread from start to finish. You do some really nice work! I'm especially loving your cabinets.

Thanks Sharon, Scot and Martiangod. I really appreciate the kind words. My wife loved them when I got finished with them, now she wants to paint the dark part of the design red. It might look good, but for now they will stay dark. :shhh:
It's been awhile since I've posted any progress, so I'll post a few. I have gotten quite a bit done lately.
Bayley, the Wonder Dog checks my work.
I got the hatch skinned.
I tried it on, and it .....................................fit perfect.
I got the birch plywood installed on the roof.
Then I did a trial fit with the aluminum for the roof. It is a 5 X 10 sheet. No seams.
After fitting the roof, I got the sides installed.
I worked on it most all day on Sunday. I got almost all of the trim work finished. I didn't order enough of the wall cap trim, so I'll be ordering more of that. These next pictures are taken in the evening after New York had scored the first 9 points of the Super Bowl. I had forgotten all about the big game.
The trim really gives the Tintanic a finished look.
I am still trying to decide how I want to do the galley. I have the upper part kind of figured out, but I don't know if we'll do a cooler or fridge, sink or no sink, water storage in the galley or not..................... So many decisions. I will have it campable soon and after a trip or two I should know what we need.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Looking great Bob! Awesome progress!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: Dang are you moving Bob!!! I'm really excited to see her with the aluminum on! Excellent work sir!!!

Is you aluminum anodized or mill finished? I haven't had any luck getting 5'x10 anodized around here.

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Very, very nice! :thumbsup:

Red? Yikes.
Beautiful work on the cabinets. :applause:
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Looking great Bob! Awesome progress!

Thanks Zach. I should be camping soon.
DMcCam wrote::applause: :applause: :applause: Dang are you moving Bob!!! I'm really excited to see her with the aluminum on! Excellent work sir!!!

Is your aluminum anodized or mill finished? I haven't had any luck getting 5'x10 anodized around here.

Hiya Dave. I looked and looked for 5 X10 sheets and couldn't find any. One day I tried google again with a search and found a place in Atlanta called SAF. Well, I'd rather take a beating than drive around Atlanta. After studying their website, it turned out they had a satellite office about ten miles from me. My 0.040 X 4 X 10 sheets are anodizedand cost 95 bucks a sheet. The 0.60 X 5 X 10 sheets are also anodized and cost 201 dollars sheet. Pretty expensive, but I'm only planning on doing this once and want to do everything the best I can. No seems on the roof or the hatch when I get it sheeted. That 5 x 10 stuff is a bear to work with, but I like the bullet proof feel you get. The hatch is what will really be hard to do with the small radius at the bottom, but I may tackle it today.

StPatrón wrote:Very, very nice! :thumbsup:

Red? Yikes.
Beautiful work on the cabinets. :applause:

Thanks Gary. Coming from the builder of the DD, it means a lot. Beautiful craftsmanship on it. I hope our paths cross someday. I would love to see it up close.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Re: Bob's Build. The Tintanic..........Update 2/06/12

Postby ashleygries » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:30 am

Wow- great progress! I only hope mine goes as quickly. Now for a question- what type of trim did you use around the outside for the aluminum? Is that from Grant?
Thanks so much, and congrats! :applause:
ashleygries
Teardrop Builder

Re: Bob's Build. The Tintanic..........Update 2/06/12

Postby Bob Patterson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 am

ashleygries wrote:Wow- great progress! I only hope mine goes as quickly. Now for a question- what type of trim did you use around the outside for the aluminum? Is that from Grant?
Thanks so much, and congrats! :applause:

Hi Ashley. Yes, I got it from Grant. It is very easy to bend to the curves. He has some with a little longer edge to it for use on the hatch. Grant is a very helpful guy. I cut the bottom part of my hurricane hinge too short, :x :duh: :shhh: and Grant was able to sell me the half of hinge I needed. Some wouldn't do that.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals