The Aluminati Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Aluminati Build

Postby SLUG36 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am

That is a great looking build. And your build skills are indeed great.
Making big pieces of wood into the wrong size..... for over 30 years....
SLUG36
Teardrop Master

Postby jackdaw » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 am

Just seen your Trolley top... and love it ! Very nice build ...nice sliding window in the back too :thumbsup:
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby SkookumAJ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 pm

jackdaw wrote:Just seen your Trolley top... and love it ! Very nice build ...nice sliding window in the back too :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack!
I must say that, when I was first looking at this site and deciding what to build, I was drawn to your trailers in a major, major way.. The all aluminum skin and trolley top; Yup, that's for me..
As for the rear window, I'm sure that you recognize that.. well you know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.. hope you don't mind, but it is brilliant! :wine:
SkookumAJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Johnysteam » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 am

you've certainly got skills there buddy. What was the highest standing point measuring at, I think some of us could stand in there
Johnysteam
Silver Donating Member

Postby SkookumAJ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Johnysteam wrote:you've certainly got skills there buddy. What was the highest standing point measuring at, I think some of us could stand in there

Thanks, eh!
It's 55" height inside.. perfect for the 'slouch-stand'..
SkookumAJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Metalhead » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:18 am

Man that thing is awesome!!!

New to the forums and getting ready to design my first build, and yours has definitely caught my eye. Is there any way you could post some pics of the bunk you mentioned as a bunk(s) is a primary goal of my build as we will be traveling with 1-2 kids.
Metalhead
Teardrop Builder

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:50 pm

I would like to see some interior pix. I want to see that ceiling from the inside!
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Looks really nice how did you light the galley and the inside of the trailer. do the trolley windows open or just let in light. any curtains or shades for those windows?

Like the shape. welcome to the TT club( teardrop trolley club!!) :lol:

My trolley windows are not in any perfect shape so it is hard to cover. Was going to just use Plexiglass but the warped. Each hole on each side is just a little smaller then the one before on each side. I am going to make it so I can open each of those windows. I often camp near death valley and need the air.

Dose your trolley like Doug's hide the fan? :NC

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wesley25 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 am

That is amazing. Very well done.
Wesley25
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:54 am

Inceridible cladding and trim work
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby felixx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:11 am

beautiful
felixx
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:51 pm

You did put a lot of effort in it for sure and finished beatifully. You've got skills! :thumbsup: :applause:

I do want to see the interior pictures.. please?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Adirondackersouth » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:23 pm

SkookumAJ wrote:Well I finally finished my first build; It got a bit obsessive towards the end, aiming to have her ready for use this summer.. I joined tnttt last august and lurked about for a month, researching the vast info and clarifying what I wanted to build.. and settled on a Modernistic style cabin stretched out to 12' long, to have an extra mini-bed for my 3 yr old daughter. Oh yea, and a trolleytop..
In mid september 2013 I found a trailer that was the size that I wanted. It didn't look great but the steel was good and the price was right..

I stripped all the boat stuff off, welded some corners on the front to make the deck 10'x5'.

Tossed the axle and crappy little wheels and installed torsion axles and put on some 15" wheels. Welded on stabilizer jacks also..

And voila, we are on our way

So it looks like I made some kind of frame for the deck, I think I was trying to line up the sticks to where my benches in the cabin would sit..

With the ply floor on, and the deck bolted to the frame.. onto walls! My profile was entirely hand drawn, no CAD, no cnc, no compass or math; just drawing on ply, step back to review, and repeat a bizillion times to dial it in...

With spars installed, this thing is taking shape...

I skinned the inside with 1/4" fir ply, then started on forming the galley..

It was around this point that I realized that the (former boat trailer) tongue was really long! So I lopped a couple feet off of that..

I guess it's time to run wire for lights, etc.. Pulled wire up both sides of the front/top, then slapped some hard foam insulation in between the spars..
Also added some 'wings' onto the tongue, as I would probably need to mount something out front someday...

I skinned the outside with 3/16" el cheapo ply, then sealed that with polyurathane. And it looks like the galley is moving along all right; My countertop is an old board of VG Fir salvaged for lord-knows-where.. Ran it through the planer, she cleaned up real nice. Stained it black and 4 coats of poly- I wonder how long it'll stand up to the wifes abuses.. heh..
As for plumbing, this being my first trailer build, I wanted to keep things simple in that department for now.. so I opted for a 5 gal jug situated above a small sink, with a catch basin below. it works all right; I can always upgrade later...

The interior is moving along too; here we have a full queen-size bed on storage benches, and the center piece can pop up to make a table and booth seating..

Ok, so I guess we are onto aluminum skinning! Now I know that we want to float aluminum for expansion, but since I would not be having my edge molding for another month and I gotta get skinning, I elected to glue the alum onto the cabin for the building period.. So I used the 5'x12' shipping pallet that the alum came on to clamp it to the cabin:
I glued the full 5'x12' sheet to the side wall, then cut out the profile, which was SO FUN! Then used a flush bit on a laminate trimmer to clean that hot mess up; worked pretty not bad...

then onto the front and roof:

Here's one of the templates to do the trolleytop sides:
If anything, this just shows how in my obsession with building a teardrop, I allowed my shop to descend into shear depraved chaos.. it's just embarrassing..
But worth it I suppose..

Time to bust a move on the galley hatch..

And presto, bango, and galley door! You can see the floppy alum siding here. I was at the point of doing the edge molding, so I was un-adhering the glued alum so that it would be floating.. It came off pretty easy, having oil-canned a few times already

My order of edge molding, windows, door handles and various specialty parts came in, very exciting, aside from the punishing postage for stuff sent from US to Canada... But now I can assemble the finishing touches!

The first road test; just a bandit cruise around the block to make sure that it didn't cartwheel sideways off the road, or simply break in two haha..
All good!

Here's how the edge molding tapered out at the front of the trolleytop:

And here's how it ended at the rear:
That was a load of fun getting all that to fit tight and right, tell you what..

So then there's installing and connecting the lights, apparently not photoworthy.. same goes for cabinet doors and drawers; Sorry! I'm a woodworker by trade and I guess that cabinet doors and drawers barely register on my radar these days, y'all know what I mean?

What does register is getting my porthole windows sorted out. it wasn't in my budget to order 8 @$20 plus shipping to Canada (double that $$, for real), and i didn't relish making them out of wood. Lo and behold, the universe provided and I met a fellow living one block away from me, who has a 3-D printer and was open to a little project. I drew the part on Autocad, and he printed 8 trimrings for me (for a trade, bit o woodwork for him):
They came white plastic. I paint them 'stainless steel' and siliconed a tinted plexi disc in there, then silcone that into the openings in my trolleytop, and I'm very happy!

Heck we must be getting close.. fenders came in, painted them to match the truck.. Gas props dialed in after much screwing around... You know what, I'm done.. Let's go camping already!!

Major sweet build! :beer:
David Medici
Mechanicsville, Virginia 23116
Happy Trails
Adirondackersouth
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals