Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie hybrid trailer - XPStream

Postby OP827 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi everyone, it's been awhile and I was making small progress buying and cutting foam for dinette and a bed in the back. I got both foam mattresses online from walmart.
But this update is about a dry toilet build attempt. I saw this video https://youtu.be/1McHWD66h-A long time ago and "took" the idea to another level. It is basically a bucket toilet, but with a normal toilet seat. I decided to add an exhaust fan like in a composting toilet. Fumes are getting collected from under the seat via a contoured shroud. I am thinking of using compostable bags, peat moss and dry wood sawdust or pellets mix cover and dispose the contents every day of camping. I hope it will be easier and less of a chore to clean it this way comparing to a usual portable potty with liquids. Real life testing is still to come, so nothing to report yet w.r.t. smell control performance and so on. Fan is powered via a small jack on the fixture side. It will be vented out through a hole in the floor in bathroom area. Once we go camping, I'll try to remember to report on the "experience" :thinking: .

Cheers,
;)
Last edited by OP827 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Dinette cushions were made during this weekend. I had no idea how to sew them, but Sailrite had good instructional videos that show how to make them. I am happy with the result. Happy building to all!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Very nice work Brotherman! Love it! You really can do it all!!! You're going to be camping soon!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Also, just perusing through your pictures and was looking at your fabulous bow window. This is really turning out to be a piece of art! I know you have to be excited about nearing the finish line!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Also, just perusing through your pictures and was looking at your fabulous bow window. This is really turning out to be a piece of art! I know you have to be excited about nearing the finish line!

Thank you for support Michael. Yes, I am seeing the finish line to be able to camp with this trailer. As to finishing it completely, I think I'll never finish it as the design ideas of how to make its interior folding inside may never stop... In retrospect I found that I did not make a photo of the front window "almost" finished, so here it is. I know the window and trim and a whole trailer does have a homemade appearance, but I am fine with that, because it is.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:46 pm

:o It just keeps getting better! Lookin' Good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 pm

Thanks Sharon! :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:44 pm

I think it has a very professional appearance and your skills are evident! I'm glad you went for it and painted her yourself! Also the cushions! Fantastic work Oleg. Definitely something to take pride in!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Atomic77 wrote:I think it has a very professional appearance and your skills are evident! I'm glad you went for it and painted her yourself! Also the cushions! Fantastic work Oleg. Definitely something to take pride in!

You are very kind, thank you! I sometimes do not believe that I did it myself, but I realize that every big job consists of many small tasks, just need to keep pushing and finish them all.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
OP827
Donating Member

Re: XPStream - Almost Finished!

Postby OP827 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Now I really see the finish line. The trailer is towable and almost weather sealed, just a few weather seals left to stick.
I left her outside with roof down; there should be no leaks due to natural gravity water flow with roof edge overlap even with side seals not installed yet.
I already tested several months ago with a garden hose, it works.
Could not resist to take her on a highway to see how she performs. I need to lower the hitch about 2 inches to have the trailer roof at the same height with TV roof line, i.e. the way it was designed.
My daughter started spray painting blue skies and clouds on a curb side and I put some colour on the street side of the folding walls. The side art will be work in progress for some time I think.

Trailer tows very nicely, I tried up to 120km/h or 75mph and no issues even with strong side wind we had today.
The lowering roof helps substantially to improve on fuel economy and towing safety.
The difference in gas mileage and towing experience with my previous 17" Boler trailer is like a day and night.
I drove about 50 km on a highway and got about 14l/100km or 17mpg with my Pathfinder and regular 10% ethanol gas.
More testing will be required once the trailer is fully fitted and loaded, but she was already loaded with stuff and tools with this test drive.

I am happy with how the build turned out, I still have some interior and minimalist 120VAC and 12VDC wiring work to do.
She is about 98% percent complete overall. We should go camping soon.
:FNP :wine: :beer: 8) :D :P :relaxing: :peace: :vroom:

:FNP :wine: :beer: 8) :D :P :relaxing: :peace: :vroom:
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Lifting roof foamie XPStream - Almost Finished!

Postby aggie79 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:22 am

:awesome: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:46 pm

Fascinating project!

:applause:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Tom, Tony, Sharon, Michael, and all who commented on this build thread,

Thank you very much for encouragement. Without this forum and all of you guys support I highly doubt that the build would be possible.

I took the trailer for a road run a couple of times now to check on wheel hubs temperature rise and fuel economy. She runs nice and smooth, and my TV can barely feel that I tow something in the back, except on a bumpy road. Freeway speed is no problem, it is very aerodynamic. Again comparing that to 17" Boler, which is a relatively light fibreglass trailer, I could definitely feel that I tow that trailer, although its dry weight according to manufacturer is only at 2200 lbs.

I tried building as light as possible from commonly available materials. Lower structure interior skin is 1/8" baltic birch and 1 layer of 6oz fibreglass outside. 1.5" XPS foam folding walls and roof are covered in 1 layer 6oz FG cloth with several stiffeners inside. Interior furniture is again mostly 1/8" Baltic birch with 1"x 3/4" pine sticks or small pieces of plywood and foam. The heavy parts are the donor popup trailer frame, 3 way fridge, battery, propane tank, two foam mattresses and then smaller things like furnace and a stove. Because of these parts the build will not be ultra light.

I wonder what the dry weight will be.... will look for scales around here.

Oleg
Last edited by OP827 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm proud of you Brotherman. It made me happy to see you resisting the urges to hire things out that you weren't sure of, then having the courage to dive in and tackle the rough jobs yourself!

And the result is Super Pro! Nice work.

I wouldn't fret about weight. It's a super light build and I have learned that a little weight actually helps in windy conditions.

My situation might be different from yours but I found scales at a grain elevator out in the country near my home. Also, truck stops sometimes have them. Our Pilot Truck Stop has one. They weighed mine for free, happily interested in the novelty of it all.

Cheers to you my friend on a job very well done...

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:24 pm

And I am proud to have a friend like you Michael, thank you for all the advise and support.
Fairing and painting was probably the most demanding part of the build for me due to my inexperience with the materials, tools and a proper technique.
Then you came in and helped me out with advice and I thank you again for that.

I wanted to make a short video of the trailer's setup and camping by the Huron Lake, but all parks and sites are closed now, will wait until they reopen.
Photos just do not show the design concept very well.

I am thinking of another similar, but smaller and much simpler to build design concept now, but I need to finish this build first... :oops:
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals