M116A3 Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: M116A3 Build

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:59 pm

I had a few minutes today to putter at my workbench, so I hooked up the Victron Smart Shunt I picked up from Craigslist to my power supply. I was able to reset the pin code and get it talking to my Victron Connect app on my phone via Bluetooth. After that, I set it up as a current meter so that it can keep tabs on the power used by my trailer’s inverter. I have a spare 500 watt inverter so I hooked that up and the shunt works great. It’s not in the trailer yet, but hopefully soon. I hope it will show up under AC Loads on the VRM dashboard.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:39 am

It will be interesting to see how it shows up in VRM, I haven't seen any systems with 2 shunts. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:45 am

bdosborn wrote:It will be interesting to see how it shows up in VRM, I haven't seen any systems with 2 shunts. :thumbsup:
Bruce

I’ll definitely let you know. Fingers crossed it works like I want it to!

Last night I installed Kevin Windrem’s GUIMods program onto my Venus OS Raspberry Pi. I was able to get it because I found instructions on his github that allowed me to install SetupHelper remotely, so I didn’t have to physically be there with a flash drive. SetupHelper installs some of his other programs too, including the mod that creates a shutdown button, and the mod that creates 6 relays on the Pi that can be controlled by the VRM.

I really like the flexibility and extra information the GUIMods provides on the Remote Console. It doesn’t affect the dashboard seen on the VRM, but that’s ok. It’s cool to be able to pull up either option.

In terms of the 6 relays, the first has the same abilities as the only relay that was available on the unmodified Venus OS on the Raspberry Pi. It can control a generator, or be turned on by a number of system states, including by temperature. Relay #2 is able to be set up as a temperature relay also. Relays 3-6 are manual operation via the remote console.

Unfortunately the relay temperature parameters are still limited to getting their information from the RuuviTag sensors, and cannot use the battery temperature reported by my battery monitor. I would want to have the battery temperature trigger the battery heater, so it looks like I will still need to run wires to my BMV-712 to be able to do that. I left a comment for Kevin on github to see if this feature could be added to the program so all the temperature data sources can be available for triggering relays.

^^^ I would love to have a third option for battery temperature.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:14 pm

kwindrim already replied to my query about coding for the temperature relay! That’s awesome he is so responsive.

The temperature relay logic is not something I've looked into. I had to do some special coding to extract the temperature from the battery monitor and suspect that isn't part of the relay logic. At this point I don't have plans to make any changed there.

The github thread I started is here for reference:

https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiGpioSetup/issues/8
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:30 pm

Couldn't you stick a Ruuvi tag to the battery and use the Raspberry Pi GPIO pin to control the heaters? You can adjust the offset of the Ruuvi so it matches what the BMV712 temperature probe shows.
Bruce
P.S. did you SSH in to the Pi install the Setup Helper?
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:24 pm

bdosborn wrote:Couldn't you stick a Ruuvi tag to the battery and use the Raspberry Pi GPIO pin to control the heaters? You can adjust the offset of the Ruuvi so it matches what the BMV712 temperature probe shows.
Bruce
P.S. did you SSH in to the Pi install the Setup Helper?

That plan would technically work, except I am space limited where a RuuviTag can get full contact with the battery.

And yup, I used SSH to get into the Pi and download the software. 8)

The Sixfab Raspberry Pi cellular modem has a remote terminal app I can use from home. I was able to SSH from there into the Venus Pi, which is networked to the Sixfab Pi through wifi. Hope that makes sense!

I love my trailer's Sixfab cellular wifi hotspot. Here they are if you want to check them out: https://sixfab.com/

lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:49 pm

I picked up this USB shield for my Venus OS Raspberry Pi. This will give it some flexibility to add VE.Direct cables to additional devices. The Pi has 4 USB ports, and this adds 7 more. This will go underneath the Pi and so will not trap heat above the CPU.

Details: https://www.uugear.com/product/7-port-usb-hub-for-raspberry-pi/

https://www.robotshop.com/ is the US distributor and the price is about $20.

Current USB’s:
- to GPS antenna
- to roof solar charge controller
- to aux solar charge controller
- to battery monitor

Future additional USB’s:
- to smart shunt (monitoring AC charger)
- to phoenix inverter
- charging cords for phones and other devices
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:04 pm

Good idea, let me know how it works. :thumbsup:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:35 pm

bdosborn wrote:Good idea, let me know how it works. :thumbsup:
Bruce

Will do. While this board is compatible with all types of Pi’s, on the 3b+ the data and power for it are transferred between the two boards via pogo pins, so they don’t take up any USB ports or need any wires. Sounds like a pretty elegant solution, and the 7 additional USB ports should future-proof my Victron Venus system.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:27 pm

I have a number of new things on the docket for my trailer's electrical system. I thought I'd make myself a list in order to keep everything organized.

Install:
- New wiring from Venus Pi to Victron BMV712 battery monitor solid state relay - better method to remote control battery heating pads.
- Victron Energy SolidSwitch 104 BMS800200104 - will receive voltage signal from the battery monitor relay at programmed temperature and turn on battery heating pads.
- Victron Phoenix Inverter with VE.Direct with GFCI Outlet - 12V 800VA GFCI - to monitor AC OUT on the VRM & be 10x as efficient as my old 1000 watt inverter, saving 12 watts at idle.
- Victron Phoenix Inverter Control VE.Direct Switch REC040010210R - remote on/off switch for the inverter, to mount on the camper cabin wall.
- Swap wiring direction on existing transfer switch so that the Inverter (not shore power) becomes the default power source - saves 1-2 watts while the inverter is on because the solenoid will not need to trip. I am using the trailer off grid much more than I plug in anyway.
- Victron SmartShunt 500 amp - to monitor AC IN on the VRM from my existing battery charger which doesn't have its own VRM communication ability.
- Victron Energy VE.Direct to USB Interface ASS030530010 - 2 communication cables for the new 800VA inverter & SmartShunt.
- UUgear 7-USB shield for the Venus Pi - to expand the number of devices I can simultaneously connect to the VRM.
- Victron Energy Dual Terminal Stud M8 (5/16") Set (1 RED/1 BLACK) - to make connecting all these devices easier.
- Reorganize BlueSea fuse panel to make the circuit order more logical. Move lights/fan circuit to Load on solar charge controller, which can be remotely controlled. Move VRM Raspberry Pi circuit to fuse panel, so that firmware can be updated remotely without losing power.

Delete:
- Inkbird Thermostat for battery heater. This will save 1 watt of power draw used by 2 relays on the thermostat. This job is now done by battery monitor's built-in relay.
- BMS physical off switch - not needed as I never use it. There is an on/off option on the BMS iPhone app if necessary, and there is a master off switch for the whole system.
- Timershop Wifi timer / 10 Amp Relay - can automate something else with this if I want. Replaced by SolidSwitch. Saves 1 watt of power draw while heating battery.
- 1000 watt Xantrex pure sine wave inverter - replaced by 800VA smart Victron unit.
- Xantrex inverter's remote wall switch.
- Single red & black terminal studs - replaced by double for more device capacity.

That's actually quite a bit of modification, now that I have it all typed out. I am not sure where the time will come from to do this, until summer.

I will have a 15 amp lead acid battery charger and a Xantrex 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter for sale eventually, in case anyone is interested.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:16 pm

Wow! Quite the upgrade. :thumbsup:

lfhoward,
Victron SmartShunt 500 amp - to monitor AC IN on the VRM

Will you be monitoring "AC" with the shunt or is that a typo that should be "DC"?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:56 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Wow! Quite the upgrade. :thumbsup:

lfhoward,
Victron SmartShunt 500 amp - to monitor AC IN on the VRM

Will you be monitoring "AC" with the shunt or is that a typo that should be "DC"?

Good question! Here are the options for using the SmartShunt as a DC Meter.

AC Charger is one of them, though you are right, it would be DC into the system that is being measured, not the AC side of the charger.

The watts coming in from an AC charger should be displayed in the upper left hand box of the VRM screen, where it says AC Input.

I know from watching a YouTube video that the Phoenix Inverter will get displayed in the upper right hand box of the VRM screen, where it says AC Loads.

If everything works out the way I am hoping, then there will be no empty boxes on the VRM screen! (My main reason for doing these upgrades is eliminating unnecessary watts used, now that I know my electrical system better after using it for a year in its current form. But filling out the whole VRM readout is a cool end result too!)

:D
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:03 pm

Awesome! I love learning about all these Victron products. It is a steep learning curve for me. I very much appreciate everything you post. Thank you!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:30 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Awesome! I love learning about all these Victron products. It is a steep learning curve for me. I very much appreciate everything you post. Thank you!

I don’t remember if you are able to see the monitoring data like Bruce and I can with your Victron system. If you can’t, and you wanted to, you wouldn’t have to learn and program a Raspberry Pi like me. Victron sells a plug and play device called the Cerbo GX that will take all of this monitoring info from your charger and battery monitor and send it to your phone or over the internet to your computer. I believe Bruce is using a Cerbo GX with his solar system on the aVANger build.

Either way, thanks for being enthusiastic about the Victron stuff. It really is fun to design and build the system, and more so when I get to share it with people who think it’s cool too. :thumbsup:
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:20 pm

Wow, you're overhauling everything. Sweet! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the Solidswitch reference, I didn't know Victron had such a thing.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals