Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer

Postby rowerwet » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:56 pm

While I think this design leaves some to be desired, I like the idea of it. I've built a few stitch and glue boats from plans and think pencil is the best way to mark the pieces for correct assembly.
A bondo spreader is a good idea to remove the excess epoxy from joints and glass, and a epoxy roller is also nice to have. (It looks like a bunch of discs for the roller)
Good luck!

What do you do with the jig when done?
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 pm

VG conclusions. Interesting assembly. :thumbsup:

pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer

Postby rovineye » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 pm

I have yet to inventory even! But I have been brewing beer to stockpile during the build period. There are 3 small parts on backorder but nothing I will need for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rovineye
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tomtnt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 am

Are you doing this entirely solo or do you have a helping hand?

friz wrote:Lessons learned
1) Yes, it worth your time to do an inventory. I found a couple missing parts and CLC was quick to send them.
2) Epoxy, when in doubt, throw it out. I lost track of which cup was which while checking pump accuracy and was considering pouring the contents back into the gallon containers. Good thing I didn't.
3) Take your time! This epoxy has a nice long working time.
4) Less is more! Use just enough epoxy to saturate the cloth on the first coat. I had experienced the fabric floating away from the surface on one of the tape joints. If you find this happening, use plastic sheeting to pull away the excess epoxy.
5) Former 6 and 2 look alike but are not! I should have marked them with a sharpie during inventory. Cost me about 30 minutes and put my self imposed deadline at risk!
6) Have a beer! This is supposed to be fun! I'm having trouble with this one. When I have a project I get all "type A" and start setting deadlines. I need to stop that!
tomtnt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:20 pm

My wife only helps in a supervisory capacity. My teenage son seems to be amused by the goings on but is trying to avoid inclusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby rychastings » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:44 pm

looking forward to watching your progress! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
rychastings
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Very interesting. Can't wait to see the progress...
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:04 pm

rovineye wrote:I have yet to inventory even! But I have been brewing beer to stockpile during the build period. There are 3 small parts on backorder but nothing I will need for a while.

Good move. I am going to have to swill somewhat pedestrian beverages during my build with the occasional store bought craft brew. Oh the humanity!
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby rychastings » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 pm

friz wrote:
rovineye wrote:I have yet to inventory even! But I have been brewing beer to stockpile during the build period. There are 3 small parts on backorder but nothing I will need for a while.

Good move. I am going to have to swill somewhat pedestrian beverages during my build with the occasional store bought craft brew. Oh the humanity!

Don't forget to use a good respirator and eye protection when sanding! fiberglass dust is no joke.
rychastings
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 am

Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby friz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 am

I want to show you the incredible precision of this kit. If you can see light between any of the parts, you have got something wrong. Go back and tighten up your wires and pull the skins tight to the mold and they will go away.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby johnny_swindle » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 pm

friz wrote:I want to show you the incredible precision of this kit. If you can see light between any of the parts, you have got something wrong. Go back and tighten up your wires and pull the skins tight to the mold and they will go away.

When I saw your post about this kit I immediately went to the site.

I am very interested in the total weight of a finished base kit and tongue weight.

I would love to be able to tow this with my motorcycle.

Total weight would need to be around 400 bs and tongue weight of 40.

Sent from my SM-G935V
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby friz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:07 pm

This is right off their website.

"How much does the CLC Teardrop Camper weigh?

About 250 pounds fully outfitted and accessorized. The basic shell and galley weighed 176lbs on our digital scale. Trailer weight will vary wildly; our aluminum Trailex trailer weighs 196lbs. Figure on a total of 500-600lbs all-up with typical outfitting."
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby johnny_swindle » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 pm

friz wrote:This is right off their website.

"How much does the CLC Teardrop Camper weigh?

About 250 pounds fully outfitted and accessorized. The basic shell and galley weighed 176lbs on our digital scale. Trailer weight will vary wildly; our aluminum Trailex trailer weighs 196lbs. Figure on a total of 500-600lbs all-up with typical outfitting."

Thank you....must have overlooked it.

500-600 is too heavy for the bike but if I keep it around 400 to 450 that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G935V
johnny_swindle
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rick Tyler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:52 pm

friz wrote:I want to show you the incredible precision of this kit. If you can see light between any of the parts, you have got something wrong. Go back and tighten up your wires and pull the skins tight to the mold and they will go away.

With S&G assembly, you actually do not want super-tight mechanical connections between adjacent parts. The fillet and glass will provide the structural strength, so having tight fits won't help you any, and can cause "hard spots" where the core material (plywood) meets. I try to leave a little gap (about a Popsicle stick thickness) between panels, and I sometimes use "craft sticks" from Michael's to maintain the spacing.

Of course, if CLC told you to strap them down tight, you should do what they say. The conventional wisdom, though, is that touching is too tight.

I am looking forward to following your build, although I would prefer 5x10. I think it is the teardrop equivalent to a boat owner's "2-foot" disease. As in, "my boat would be perfect if it were 2 feet longer."

Thanks for all the pictures, too.
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals