Australian Retro Rambler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Australian Retro Rambler

Postby MickinOz » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:02 am

Dude, that is pretty cluey. Has the conduit been permanently rolled into a curve, or is it just flexed to the curve when you erect it?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby cluttonfred » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:34 am

Very cool build, love the Wiley windows and overall retro look. Not sure I would have put a brass hook right where it would always find my head, but maybe that's just clumsy me. Thanks for sharing!
Matthew Long, Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

« Voici ce que j'ai fait...vous pouvez en faire autant! » "This is what I have done...you can do the same!"
--Henri Mignet (1893-1965)
cluttonfred
Teardrop Builder

Postby edgeau » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:34 am

MickinOz wrote:Dude, that is pretty cluey. Has the conduit been permanently rolled into a curve, or is it just flexed to the curve when you erect it?

It started straight but doesn't go back straight so it might travel on the roof with some saddle clampsImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:48 am

cluttonfred wrote:Very cool build, love the Wiley windows and overall retro look. Not sure I would have put a brass hook right where it would always find my head, but maybe that's just clumsy me. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words. The hooks are actually really out of the way, only a few centimeters (less than an inch) from the wall and not where the head travels

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Raising the awning height to accommodate the change room exacerbated another issue. We often put the solar blanket on the roof but there is a shade problem from the awnings now. Solution, use some old aluminum tarp poles to make a roof rack to lay it on. For those thinking "that won't hold much weight!" You are right. I only need it to hold 7kg (about 15 pounds).
ImageImageImage

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:07 pm

I know the solar is not as effective flat as angled to the sun. This one is overspeced, rated at 200w but I only need 100w. If we happen to be parked with the front facing north (we are southern hemisphere) I can hang it over the curve of the 'drop. I also have enough lead to put it on the windscreen of the tow vehicle. It is all about having options.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:10 am

Latest modification. The better half asked for some shelves near the bed head for glasses etc. We fold the mattress up when loading a lot of gear so the shelves fold up to make room.
ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:47 am

New tail lights. No more banging shins on the silly outrigger ones.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:53 pm

Latest modification. Added a slim line ceiling light. The reading lamps are under a shelf so I had to feel for things or use a torch. They are also not much use when everything is packed up high before a trip and I want to find something. I went a bit overboard and put in two single pole double throw switches so either can be used to turn it on / off. I know you could reach a central switch from either door but this was just for the fun of it as I was fascinated by the circuit needed to achieve this when I was a kid.

ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:26 pm

Hey Edge, I've had a look through and I'm thinking that, from what I see in the photos, to mount your side awnings you just took the basic L brackets they provide and through bolted them to the roof?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:29 am

MickinOz wrote:Hey Edge, I've had a look through and I'm thinking that, from what I see in the photos, to mount your side awnings you just took the basic L brackets they provide and through bolted them to the roof?
Big screws into the cross beams. Held fine for years

edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:49 am

edgeau wrote:
MickinOz wrote:Hey Edge, I've had a look through and I'm thinking that, from what I see in the photos, to mount your side awnings you just took the basic L brackets they provide and through bolted them to the roof?

I think I may have over engineered mine, then. :)
Awning 2.JPG
Awning 2.JPG (112.13 KiB) Viewed 562 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:06 am

MickinOz wrote:
edgeau wrote:

I think I may have over engineered mine, then. :)
Awning 2.JPG
At least it gave you a good mount for the solar too

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:01 pm

I scored big time! I noticed a FB Marketplace ad for a "broken" 60litre camping fridge that allegedly only ran on 240v. $50. I figured that as long as as the compressor works I could find a way to get some electrons to it. Turns out it was so easy I almost feel guilty. The issue was just a blown fuse in the 12v plug!
I had it running in the car on the way home from picking it up. It is way too big for my galley but that is OK, I have the existing fridge there. On longer trips with two teenage boys in their tents we need a mountain of food so I have been taking the Esky (translation ice box / cooler) as well as the fridge. I now have both fridges running in the garage with the TD hooked up to a 180w solar panel to test capacity to cope with both running. So far it looks pretty good I was down to 85% on the lithium battery this morning after getting the big fridge down to 4°C (the little one was already on and at temp). When camping I can usually be back to 100% from that level by midday with my 200w solar blanket.
No more daily ice changes and dealing with melt water making things soggy!ImageImageImage

edgeau
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:21 pm

Score! :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals