Tom & Shelly's build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tom & Shelly's build

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:20 pm

Capebuild wrote:Nice Tom! What a great gift. I kind of lust after that stove after hearing all the great reviews of it (although I've never actually seen one).
Enjoy it!
I'll be interested to hear where you decided to mount your propane tank and what kind of set up you use for the propane.
John

First one we've seen in person, now that we think of it. Thanks to Tony for turning us onto it!

Yesterday was pretty windy, so we didn't want to go out (stove probably would have worked fine with the screen, but we may not have!) But today was sunny and calm, and so we plugged it into our barbecue tank and it works great. Nice fine adjustment, which was our main problem with the Coleman stove. The Cook Partner costs ten times as much, but it's clearly a case of getting what we paid for as far as quality. In the past, I've contracted out for small metal devices of various kinds, and can easily see why this costs what it does, even with production runs.

Also verified the fit :thumbsup:

I'll post our final decisions on hooking it up to the teardrop. Think my first choice is to buy a new 10 or 11 lb tank and mount it over the tongue, to keep it out of traffic. Mounting on the side near the galley just seems dangerous to me, although Shelly doesn't seem to mind that option as much as I do. The refillable 1 lb tanks are also a good idea to consider.

This is the mount Tony used, from his book: https://atoverland.com/products/10-lb-propane-cylinder-bracket. We're going to show it to a friend of ours who does metal work in his garage, and see if he can duplicate it for a better price. We'll also ask him about making us a 20 foot hose to run the length of the tear + a few feet to the stove on a stand alone table in camp. (This guy also makes hoses for hot air balloons, so he knows what he's doing.) Anyway, the final design decisions will depend on the prices.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:39 pm

...and can easily see why this costs what it does...

You owe me a cup of coffee made from it. :beer:

Did you get your 3D printer cranking away yet?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:54 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...and can easily see why this costs what it does...

You owe me a cup of coffee made from it. :beer:

You bet! We'll break out the Aeropress. (Knowing your views on instant!)

tony.latham wrote:
Did you get your 3D printer cranking away yet?

:thinking:

Tony

Not yet. First we need to build a room to keep it in. It needs to be around 70 degrees, which is 20 more than we can do in our back basement right now, so we're going to wall off a corner (long planned) and heat that. Er, of course, to do that, we need to clean the basement so we have room for a wall. Hopefully just another few weeks. (I know, sounds a$$-backwards. :? )

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:44 pm

First we need to build a room to keep it in....

Geeze. We have a new kitten so I found a cat-toy file on Thingiverse and mine zapped one out in a jiffy.

:thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:41 am

tony.latham wrote:
First we need to build a room to keep it in....

Geeze. We have a new kitten so I found a cat-toy file on Thingiverse and mine zapped one out in a jiffy.

:thumbs-up:

Tony

Congratulations on the kitten!

We have the resin printer, the wash and cure, and all of the accessories, so we should probably set it up, warm up a room, and test it out at least. (This is Shelly's project, so up to her.)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Capebuild » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:27 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:This is the mount Tony used, from his book: https://atoverland.com/products/10-lb-p ... er-bracket. We're going to show it to a friend of ours who does metal work in his garage, and see if he can duplicate it for a better price. We'll also ask him about making us a 20 foot hose to run the length of the tear + a few feet to the stove on a stand alone table in camp. (This guy also makes hoses for hot air balloons, so he knows what he's doing.) Anyway, the final design decisions will depend on the prices.

Tom, for comparison, this is the propane tank mount I had purchased. Still not cheap, but I can say the quality is good and well put together. I have a 5lb Flame King tank I'm planning on using. I see you're using a 10lb tank and the link you provided is showing the tank having 2 straps (I suppose for the larger tank). I don't recall paying the price shown on the screen grab and just went to Amazon and they show a PowerTank unit fitting a 10 lb tank for $99, which is kind of what I remember paying for mine, might have been $89.
John
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 7.34.11 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 7.34.11 PM.jpg (124.53 KiB) Viewed 584 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the lead on Powertank. Funny, I've had their ads show up on some web sites but I didn't know what they are.

We will look into them as another option.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Tank bracket

Postby noseoil » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:07 am

We used a welding cylinder bracket for the propane bottle, just happened to fit & works very well. There's stuff out there which can work, just have to find where it is.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:43 pm

Last Summer, in the humid Northeast, the drawer in our galley started to stick. We think it was due to a design error on my part: I had the sides of the drawer as tall as the front face. Something swelled, or warped, and the sides scraped against the bottom of the counter. Once back in New Mexico, after a week or so, the fit was perfect again.

Today I trimmed the sides down, and oiled them; as well as a few other minor digs and scrapes

Wasn't sure how I was going to do it until I got into the shop. Managed to use the router to do most of the work. By coincidence, the drawer bottom happened to be in the right place to act as a guide. Then I used an old fashioned hand saw to cut up to the back of the drawer front. A bit of sanding and it looks as good as the rest of the drawer. (That's why I didn't do too good of a job making it in the first place! :FNP )

Won't know for sure until we're back East this Summer whether it works or not. We're still planning on going, Putler's gas price increase be dammed!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:54 pm

We just got back from a two week trip to Southern Arizona and Southwest New Mexico. (I'll post photos of the campsites, etc. in another folder.)

Tried out the new Cook Partner stove and are very happy with it

168707 168739

We don't have our 11 lb tank and hose installed yet, so used the disposable 1 lb tanks this trip. Went through about two during the trip, so it seems about twice as fuel efficient as the Coleman, plus allows us to adjust to a lower flame for simmering.

We did use the pressure/volume gauge that we plan to install on the larger tank. Now I know why they don't use them on these little tanks: Leave them out in the early morning sun and as they warm up and you have more propane! :thinking: :lol: (Probably works that way on the bigger tanks too...)

That second shot was taken at City of Rocks State Park in Southwestern New Mexico. The electric sites were flat and away from the rocks, but our non-electric site was mixed in, with others, where ever there was room between the rocks

168738 168721

Neat venue, but it made siting the teardrop a challenge. That time we were happy to have the portability to locate the stove away from the tear. We'll lose that when we mount the tank and regulator.

We also took some time to try out some baking recipes in the 8 inch dutch oven this trip. All came out great even though we didn't have a fire pit and had to use the site grills

168695 168718

First was an old favorite: a "one dish meal" made by chopping up an onion and Spam and frying them up on the stove, then adding them in the dutch to two cans of beans, a can of tomatoes with Hatch chili (Rotel brand, or equivalent), then topped with smashed up Ritz crackers. Baked it with 17 briquettes for a half hour. We were so busy eating we forgot to take pictures. We saved half in the cooler and re-heated it the next day for a second meal.

Then we tried an "Irish Scallop": Boil some potatoes and slice them over canned corn beef, and canned peas and carrots in the dutch. Pour a can of condensed tomato soup over it all and bake for a half hour. Only mistake I made was over-boiling the potatoes. Forgot I was at a much lower altitude there! Also made two meals.

Decided to take an afternoon off from site-seeing at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, bought an expensive package of bread mix at the visitor center and tried that out

168717 168719

Another success! That was lunch that afternoon and breakfast the next morning. (We still have the cactus jelly--not that uncommon here near Albuquerque.)

Finally, we tried Tony's recipe for Mandarin Chicken. Due to the current world events, we made one important substitution

Last year, we spent much of our camping time driving off to sight-see. This year we're going to try balancing that some and spend time enjoying the camping, including stay-at-camp activities like cooking. We're real pleased with the way the dutch oven meals add to that!

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:57 pm

we made one important substitution...

Good idea. How'd it come out?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:59 pm

tony.latham wrote:
we made one important substitution...

Good idea. How'd it come out?

Tony

Superb! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (We served it over a bed of Minute rice.)

Thank you for the recipe!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Capebuild » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:16 pm

Great photos! With my wife looking over my shoulder reading your recent posts, I said....."see, Tom and Shelly have one of those Partner Stoves! Doesn't that stove look great!"
She said.... don't worry dear, your day will come. :(
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:04 am

Capebuild wrote:She said.... don't worry dear, your day will come. :(

Shots fired! Shots fired!!! :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:14 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:Finally, we tried Tony's recipe for Mandarin Chicken. Due to the current world events, we made one important substitution

Outstanding. :thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals