...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: #4

Postby tony.latham » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:31 pm

Tyler Walters wrote:Tony:

I purchased your book a while ago but life has got in the way of starting on the project. As suggested in your book, I've been trying to compile a comprehensive materials list. With as many people who have gone through the same process, I wonder if you know of one out there that already exists.

Thanks in advance! I'm so excited to get rolling on it!

:)

I've failed miserably with that endeavor. I can tell you it takes eleven 5 x 5' sheets of 1/8" Baltic birch plywood. I checked with my supplier in Idaho Falls three weeks ago and they are $35 a sheet so it's available. Throw in two sheets of 1/2" Baltic and two more of 3/4".

The rest of it, I wouldn't stockpile. I'd buy it a stick at a time as needed since your lumberyard stocks it and shop space is precious for most of us.

Tony

p.s. And grab a gallon of TB2 and another of TB3. You'll use it.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tyler Walters » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:09 am

Tony:

I wouldn't say you "failed miserably" in anything in that book. Any shortcomings are more than made up for by replying to a random first post within 12 minutes. :)

I'm going to try to compile a materials list the best I can in a Google Sheet and share it out here if that's ok with you.

I'm also compiling a list of questions, many of which are more a reflection of my own inexperience than any lack of explanation. Would you prefer I post them here, message you directly, or another thread I haven't seen yet?

Thanks,
Tyler Walters
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:23 am

I'm going to try to compile a materials list the best I can in a Google Sheet and share it out here if that's ok with you.

Please do.

I'm also compiling a list of questions, many of which are more a reflection of my own inexperience than any lack of explanation. Would you prefer I post them here, message you directly, or another thread I haven't seen yet?

Either way is fine.

Tony

p.s. we're headed out for the last camping trip of the year before winter closes the door. So don't expect a quick reply.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tyler Walters » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:25 pm

Enjoy that last trip of the season and no rush on any responses.

I noticed the hatch clearance is 74". At 6'5"...I'm concerned. :thinking:

Is this just a matter of getting a longer gas spring. I think you mentioned just over 20". Is there a tool to calculate how much higher, say a 22", would raise the hatch?

Thanks,
Tyler Walters
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:44 pm

I noticed the hatch clearance is 74". At 6'5"...I'm concerned. :thinking:

Is this just a matter of getting a longer gas spring. I think you mentioned just over 20". Is there a tool to calculate how much higher, say a 22", would raise the hatch?

The problem you'll run into with longer gas springs is that they won't be able to compress all the way when the hatch is closed.

All of the gas springs sold by McMaster-carr have PDF diagrams. Here's the dope on the struts that will work with my design:

https://www.mcmaster.com/4138T589/

You could use a full-sized wall template along with a hatch profile and see if you can make it work using longer struts. (Take a look at McMaster and see what they have.) Make sure they work when the hatch is closed.

Do you have your chassis built? If not, you might consider a 45º down angle for a torsion axle or even 16" tires.

Or learn how to duck. :frightened: The system in my book works...

Tony

p.s. And make sure the strut --while compressed-- is pointing under the hinge.

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tyler Walters » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:17 pm

Thanks, Tony.

I hope you had an excellent final outing for the season.

My chassis is not yet built. I like the 45 degree down solution because it doesn't monkey with a whole lot of other things. I remember you saying in the book that the 74" solution was already approaching the max angle for the hurricane hinge and I'd prefer not to mess with it.

Did you get the strut attachment brackets from McMaster Carr as well? I saw some that looked very similar but couldn't find the identical ones.

Just marked my template!
Tyler Walters
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:22 pm

Did you get the strut attachment brackets from McMaster Carr as well?

Some folks have had problems with the brackets they sell. These are much better:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GCD3RRQ/?coliid=I21XEL4F1WYNGG&colid=3DIEP78B3UWPM&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:40 pm

The last hooraw before winter shuts the door. Another fine trip.

:applause:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:21 am

Awesome location and great photos. You are the man!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Tyler Walters » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:12 pm

It looks really awesome, Tony.

I noticed your Partner Steel stove has the windscreen on it. I think they offer it without the windscreen for $80 less or so. Do you find you need the windscreen often enough to justify it?

Thanks,
Tyler Walters
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:44 pm

Tyler Walters wrote:It looks really awesome, Tony.

I noticed your Partner Steel stove has the windscreen on it. I think they offer it without the windscreen for $80 less or so. Do you find you need the windscreen often enough to justify it?

Thanks,

I can't speak for Tony, of course, but you'll want a wind screen. We have a Partner Stove and used a Coleman propane stove before that for teardrop and tent camping. Of course, you might be able to make one yourself, but you need one in any sort of wind.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tyler Walters » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:19 pm

Thanks, Tom!

I'll get it ordered.
Tyler Walters
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:13 pm

A 100%.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:52 pm

Tyler Walters wrote:Tony:

I wouldn't say you "failed miserably" in anything in that book. Any shortcomings are more than made up for by replying to a random first post within 12 minutes. :)

That's the truth. I have never known any (dare I say... famous?) author who is so incredibly accessible to his target audience. :applause:

tony.latham wrote:
p.s. we're headed out for the last camping trip of the year before winter closes the door. So don't expect a quick reply.

Well.... except for that.

:R :beer:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby UntrainedJedi » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:07 pm

Would you mind telling us about your mud flaps in the picture below? I need to get some but the premade ones I’m finding seem pretty expensive for what they are. I’m trying to come up with a sturdy way to make some that are removable but don’t require welding.

UntrainedJedi
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals