Friendly Neighbourhood Slidavan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Friendly Neighbourhood Slidavan

Postby MattLV » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:36 am

Water and Gas now plumbed in and working. I was pondering installing a gas cabinet, but in the end I decided to keep it simple and safe and just have the gas bottle outside.

MattLV
Teardrop Builder

Postby MattLV » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:31 am

So we finally headed out on our first proper trip to Glastonbury Music Festival

She towed like a dream and we barely even noticed the extra weight.

After arriving in the camping area, it was a simple matter of lowering the stabiliser legs, checking she was level, then installing the lift mechanism, and up she went

I have a few minor interior trim pieces left to fit, but I think that's it for this build journal :)

Next project will probably be one of Benjy's boats .
MattLV
Teardrop Builder

Postby OP827 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:54 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Do you have enough daylight inside without side windows as per original design?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:02 pm

Wow, you go all out when building the fire pit.

Sounds like the perfect 1st trip.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:42 am

MattLV wrote:So we finally headed out on our first proper trip to Glastonbury Music Festival

Hey! I recognize those rocks! One of my ancestors helped build that thing! Gotta say though, it really didn't work out as the tiny camper they had intended. :oops: :lol:

Seriously, great job! Congratulations on your first trip. :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby MattLV » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:12 am

OP827 wrote::thumbsup: :applause: Do you have enough daylight inside without side windows as per original design?

It's actually not too bad when the door is open as the white wall reflects a lot of light. But I will definitely be adding windows once I've sourced the right set and plucked up the courage to cut the holes :)
MattLV
Teardrop Builder

Postby kurts-ttt » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:47 am

MattLV,

I am considering a Slidavan build and was just wondering how the Slidavan is working for you. Is there anything you would change or do different? Any unexpected problems come up? Thanks, Kurt
Researching ....
kurts-ttt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MattLV » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:29 am

Hi Kurt,

sorry I only just saw your message. We've used the slid-a-van quite a few times now and we really enjoy using it. being able to stand up inside makes it so usable.

Having said that there are a couple of things I'd change

1) a better lifting mechanism. While Benjy's design is simple and mostly effective, it can be a bit fiddly getting the top to raise and lower without jamming on one of the corners and more often than not she needs a little encouragement to raise or lower straight. Now that's most probably down to my poor build accuracy, and as I mentioned in my build journal I made one panel that definitely wasn't as flat as it should have been. I do dream of being able to raise the top at the push of a button via some kind of electric winch mechanism.
2) Storage access. I would recommend making the seat cushions in two halves just to make it easier to access items that are stored under there (a future mod I'll probably do at some point if I refresh the interior).

Having said that, I would recommend this little camper project to anyone. We love or Slid-a-van :)
MattLV
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals