"Big Tiny" Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

"Big Tiny" Build

Postby philpom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone!

Just joined, have been lurking a little, I have technically started my build and wanted to share. I would also appreciate any feedback.

I'm sort of a Jack of all Trades but Master of none. This is playing in to my design. It needs to be something I can execute well. I have chosen a HB SD trailer for this build. I have the trailer assembled and I have the floor built and ready to bolt down. I used 23/32 BCX plywood for the floor and minimal 2x3 framing underneath. Several coats of primer/sealer and exterior acrylic enamel. It's white gloss to help keep it clean, make it easy to observe damage and I might add underside LED lighting for a glow around the camp area.

Floor is 8'x5'4" and does have wheel wells but very shallow ones. The most defining "feature" I can think of is that I plan for the inside to be reversed. In other words you'll sleep with your head at the rear. This is because I have a queen size cushion sofa that folds out flat. When needed we want a comfy place to sit, read, watch a movie etc. Think bad weather or late after Dinner. Another is a lack of Galley. It will have what I'll call a "trunk" where we'll store our kitchen gadgets, food, water etc but it won't function as a workspace. There will be a table hanging off the side for that and meals.

Here are my concept sketches, one set plain for clarity and another notated. I welcome any feedback on this, I have already ordered doors, windows and hatches, a few more items like this and I'll be ready to start on the walls.

I am adding AC. I believe my design will mask the idea that it is a window unit or at least minimize it. We live in Texas and mostly travel the surrounding states. It's always HOT. I am not insulating the floor but I am using 5/8" rubber foam mat for the flooring. (good for the knees) I also probably won't insulate the walls and will build them with cabinet plywood at 3/4". I will insulate the ceiling.

**There is a radius on the front but it didn't come through in the drawing.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to being a part of the conversation.
Last edited by philpom on Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: Starting a new build "Big Tiny"

Postby philpom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:03 pm

A few actual build pictures. This is going to take time. My Priorities:

#1. Make it functional
#2. Make it last
#3. I don't want it to look like a crate going down the highway

Here is a look as I am putting final touches on the floor

Sealing the 2x3 with caulk

Creating pockets so it sits flush over the bolt together HB trailer

Floor coated and ready to flip and bolt down. The coating included the edges all the way around.

I'll detail my wall connection strategy later but it will sit on top of the floor for full height. I'm 6 feet tall. I'm undecided at this point what to coat the outside with. I know I don't want to do epoxy or pmf. I also don't want it to look like painted wood. Maybe we'll prime it and go with bed liner. I'm also leaning heavily towards FRP for the roof. I would use white roof patch but it'll get grimy fast.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind an allowance for your window flanges (both inner and outer with a little fudge factor added) when deciding your window placement (i.e. rough opening cutout) adjacent to the rear storage locker bulkhead. (I'm sure your thinking of this, but the drawing makes it look very close.)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:22 pm

KCStudly wrote:Welcome to the forums.

Keep in mind an allowance for your window flanges (both inner and outer with a little fudge factor added) when deciding your window placement (i.e. rough opening cutout) adjacent to the rear storage locker bulkhead. (I'm sure your thinking of this, but the drawing makes it look very close.)

Thank you, you are correct. I drew this right to left so it's a fudge and not intended as a build guide but just general layout. In reality the door will probably be a little more forward and the windows a little more over the wheel. I also have a similar error on the rear where I made the hatch too tall and it extends to far down to accommodate the sloped lower corner. Details... Details... :)

I tend to build things straight from the head so for sure I'll need to be careful. I should probably put a check list together of things to verify before each step.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Looking good.

If you could grow that 32" tall door to 36" your noggin would appreciate it. (I don't know if you are building the doors or buying them.)

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby philpom » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:32 am

tony.latham wrote:Looking good.

If you could grow that 32" tall door to 36" your noggin would appreciate it. (I don't know if you are building the doors or buying them.)

Tony

I hope i don't regret the door height. I purchased the door. I had a 36" door in my cart but a few days later when I went to order it wasn't available. I wanted to get the order done so I settled on the 32" door.

We are accustomed to very small hiker tents so I'm hoping this works out. Worst case I install a larger door down the road.

philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:51 am

I had a 36" door in my cart ...

Where I live, I can't imagine putting a teardrop door in a shopping cart. It's three hours to the nearest Lowe's and an hour and a half drive (with a 7,000' pass) for a three-pack of whitey-tighties.

Keep the pics coming!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby philpom » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:34 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I had a 36" door in my cart ...

Where I live, I can't imagine putting a teardrop door in a shopping cart. It's three hours to the nearest Lowe's and an hour and a half drive (with a 7,000' pass) for a three-pack of whitey-tighties.

Keep the pics coming!

Tony

It's a little different at our primary home, anything same day up to maybe 3 and even at our vacation home we are less than an hour to a Walmart however much more than that is a little further and we don't get delivery (pretty sure you can't count on services like fire or medical in a hurry). We didn't even have a physical address until a few years ago when we had grid power brought to the property :) .

Independence day is past us (almost, still need to unload) and hopefully I am back to the build this weekend, we'll see. I am settled on everything except the exact design of the AC mount, the finish and roof. I think those can come along as we go. I am having a delay with missing parts from RecPro, we'll see how that works out. Initial contact was quick but no action and no further communication despite me reaching out a week ago. I have patience at this point.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Finally I got the floor bolted down. Being under the trailer messing with 15 carriage bolts in a very tight spot in a garage north of 90f was not my favorite place to be. I figured I would post this picture because it was a minor victory and it probably won't look this clean and new much longer.

I'll get to work cutting out the profile, windows and door later today, I'll also try and get the wall mounting rails in place. Going to use a 2x2 rail running on the inside of the floor leaving 3/4" to the edge to set the wall in place. The same process will be used for the front and rear bulkheads.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:32 pm

A little more progress today, freak'n hot outside! I had 2 of the 15 carriage bolts that wouldn't catch and tighten (I used lock washers under them). Here is my solution, made it easy for my wife to help. Use a rotary tool to make a slot for a flat head.

I got the radius cut on the 2 walls. I used my trusty jigsaw to cut the first, then used the scrap to trace out the next. Then I clamped them together and used a belt sander with 40 grit to match then up very well.

Before

After

The downsize on the images is extreme, not sure how well the difference comes through.

That's it for now, cheers!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:23 pm

A new set of progress pics. I have also been thinking hard about the AC situation and have come up with a new plan there. Originally I was going to leave the rear of the AC and the top open to the air but flush with the lines of the camper but I am now planning to enclose it but the hot air exhaust will be a vent cover of some sort and fresh air intake will come from side vents with duct work built in to the cabinet.

I got the profile and door/window placement cut on each wall. It's a very basic maybe boring profile but should ride nicely behind my Sierra. The only thing worth noting is there will be an 8"-10" addition to the rear of the camper.

I got the front wall up last night. A little messy with the adhesive however there will be a WIDE skirt/trim around the base to seal the seam between the floor and wall connection.

Here is some detail on how I am attaching my walls. I'm losing a little sleep over how to protect the wall where it bridges the wheel well. The edge of the board will be exposed. Open to advice here, I am thinking to coat it with tar and maye wrap it in a C channel.

Expect to get the side walls and some sparing in place tonight!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:56 pm

I had 2 of the 15 carriage bolts that wouldn't catch and tighten

Probably too late but prong washers are the solution. The fact that they also distribute he bolt head is a good thing too.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:13 pm

They used to be called carriage bolt thrust washers.
Now I see in McMaster they are bolt square lock washers.
:thinking:
Today's changing world often baffles me. :lol:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby philpom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 pm

Walls up and first real feel for what we are looking at. I'm excited.

philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:12 am

tony.latham wrote:
I had 2 of the 15 carriage bolts that wouldn't catch and tighten

Probably too late but prong washers are the solution. The fact that they also distribute he bolt head is a good thing too.

Tony

Yes, that would have been perfect. Instead I used external tooth lock washers. At this point I have no interest in backing all of those out.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals