"Big Tiny" Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Starting a new build "Big Tiny"

Postby philpom » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:27 pm

A few more updates.

-Trailering lights are installed and wired, it's street legal now!
-Insulation installed in the floor, this will help clarify the floor strategy
-Interior power panels are installed
-interior and exterior lighting has arrived and will be installed this week
-Frame painted

The flooring arrives next weekend, it's basically gym flooring and will be very easy on the knees. The insulation and eventually the flooring will float and can be pulled up to access the interior wiring as needed. The flooring will extend fully to the wall covering the frame that holds the walls for a clean look. You can also see the only interior 120v power, this will be for a space heater or other electronic as needed. The battery/tongue box will have an "in-use" 120V receptacle that can be powered by shore, generator, or inverter power for most 120v uses.

I installed 2 of these panels inside, 1 upfront near the door and 1 at the rear. They have 2 QC 3.0 quick charge USB ports, battery volt meter and on/off switch to prevent any vampire drain. 1.5 inch holes at 91mm from center connected worked perfectly, they don't provide much play.

I set the the off from the frame to prevent putting more holes in the camper side, should hold. I went with basic trailer lighting so I could find replacements anywhere as needed. They are wired now, I pulled a ground wire to each light to prevent future ground issues.

I have the remaining trim sanded and ready for the acid treatment and paining, it will be installed in the next week or 2. The interior lighting is in hand and will be installed and wired this week. I plan a single entry point behind the tongue/battery box and a full circuit to each device so not serial wiring.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: "Big Tiny" Build

Postby philpom » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:16 pm

I am very close to having the wiring done, the porch light is complete, I went with a 5" oval in a black body. 300 lumen LED but I haven't decided on the clear or amber lens. It was $8.99 and included both lenses, hardware and lens gasket with switch. I also got the fan and cabin light wired, it's a 400 lumen 4000 kelvin LED with stepless dimmer and the fan, well, I took a gamble on it and bought an off-brand clone 3 speed reversible fan. It's quiet and moves a great amount of air.

Very happy how it looks.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:30 am

Inside wiring finished up. Flooring installed. I recieved the bus bars and breakers to wire up the distribution panel and route the main power out to the battery box. Going to use 10 AWG wire and a 30 Amp breaker. Each fixture is individually fused. Internal wiring is based on 12 AWG wires.

I've got 2 group 24 marine batteries for the box. I'll upgrade at some point to AGM but I had these laying around.

philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:55 pm

The electric is done, tongue box mounted, battery wires etc. Everything is working well. I ran 10 Gauge wire from the battery to the distribution bar through vinyl tube. I do have a few misc items to complete, wire the inverter, maintainer pigtail etc.

One of my group 24 batteries was dead so I used this group 27 I had sitting around. It's 110 ah and should work well. Passed everything through a manual reset 30 Amp breaker to the 150 Amp bus bar. 3 circuits power everything, each run with 12 AWG wire. The box is a 15x15x40 aluminum box mounted with side compression bolts so no holes in the tongue.

This represent all of the 120v power (for a heater) everything else is 12v.

This is the 12v 150 amp bus bar setup. Main power feeds in on 10 AWG wire to the lower large lugs. Room to expand 3 more circuits. Solid brass plated with Nickel. I will fabricate a cover for this to protect it.

I have 2 of these to provide power ports and monitor the state of charge. I tested them and my phone does recognize the Quick Charge feature.

Just a shot of the box, plenty of room for additional storage.

I have a battery box but I need to clean it up. It mounts to clips in the bottom of the box and is secured with a nylon strap to prevent anything from spanning the terminals in transit - don't want a fire! That is a 30 amp manual rest breaker, 100% waterproof with solid copper core and gold plated contact surfaces. I added 3/4" plywood on the bottom and back of the box for added strength (2 batteries in there will be very heavy on the aluminum box) and to provide mounting surfaces for the various components. I have another 120v inlet port like the one for the heater that I'll install on the box for shore charging or maintainer connection.

As I get closer and closer I start to realize all of the little things that still need to be done although at this point I could technically go camp in it I do have a few mandatory items, I need to treat the trim seam underneath, the wheel wells and repack the bearings, they still have the factory grease in the and I like to use high temp marine grease instead. beyond that I'd like to get the awning purchased and installed. Then we'll be ready to experience it and ponder the misc additions we might want!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals