A canned ham camper fit for a king

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: A canned ham camper fit for a king

Postby hossesdad » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:10 am

Mine is completely frameless, just the sheets of foam with ply on one side and aluminium on the other, epoxied together. There’s a door frame and a window frame and that’s it :) it’s light.
hossesdad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:48 am

Hosses-Thanks for your input. It's good to hear from a builder who went for a lightweight camper as well.

I had good luck and found the 3mm plywood with the veneer I like. So the walls will be built using the 3mm as talked about before. Just came back home with the 3mm material now. Going to stack it on the rack in the garage to keep it flat. That will about do it for the physical side of this project for a good 60-90 days. I have another job I need to do before I can start on building this.

However that lag time won't be wasted. It will be used to avoid another critical error I made with my first build. That was designing as I built. This build is going to be planned in detail before I start. Right down to dimensions and design of the bunk, dinette, cabinets etc. All of this will be done with an eye toward simplicity. If a cubby with no door will do, there wont be doors, hinges, latches to deal with. So while I work the other job I have to do, I will also be drawing and thinking this one out.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby OP827 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 pm

100% agreed about completing the design plans before starting the build. Having a good plan shortens the building time.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:29 am

Some update info on the build. Still making some progress on the planning and acquisition side of this camper. While the build is sidelined, I'm still making some changes when time allows. First up is while doing other work of been looking at the profile board on the wall. I decided to rework the front wall to reduce the long flat spot in the original version. I pulled the front bottom corner in 7" and formed a curve. Then I eased the radius at the top a couple inches too. Now there is only about 14" of flat to the wall. Just what I need to install the front window in.

Speaking of windows the new jalousie windows I ordered for this are here. I'm real happy with them. There will be a total of 5 used in the build. Also found and ordered some new 5.5" round tail lights too. Just could not bring myself to use the lights salvaged from the donor pop up. To me nothing says vintage camper like jalousie windows and big round tail lights. I also popped for $12 worth of new led side marker and clearance lights. Looking at the lights from the pop up they had a bunch of old caulk and so forth to clean off of them. Plus they were nothing special to look at. Not worth the time and effort.

I've also been really reading the foamie section here on the forum. What I've read there has caused me to change my mind on wall construction. I don't think I'm going to insulate the outside shell and PMF over it. From what I've read and seen, the foam exterior seems to hard to fair before the PMF application. The PMF really shows the surface irregularities. So I think I'm just going to do a built panel wall. A 3mm ply outer skin, a 3/4" foam insulation core, with a 3mm ply inside wall skin.

I'm about half way done with the project that sidelined this one. Looking forward to get back to work on this.

plata4a.jpg
Modified front wall profile
plata4a.jpg (106.68 KiB) Viewed 768 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby rjgimp » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:15 am

Mr Lahey, any new progress on this build??

:NC
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:37 pm

Things took a sad turn in my life. My father passed away early this March. He and Mom lived 1700 miles from me. I spent more than 3 months out there with mom. Had to close up and sell the house and belongings. Find a place near me for Mom to live. Then mover her back here close to me.

My Mom did better than expected with all this. She is doing well. Things are getting to a new normal for the both of us I guess. If life permits it, I may be able to get back on it this fall/winter season. I truly want to build this if I can.

I did figure a way to get some camping in this year when I got back home. I was hyper busy with so many things. I figured out a way to do some quick over night camping. I had my teardrop all packed and supplied. I have 2 very nice state parks 40mins or less from my home. I would leave home about 3pm. Set up the teardrop. Then cook dinner and have a nice fire. Wake up in the morning. Have a lazy breakfast. Then head home and get back into the grind. I had some very relaxing, and much needed rest from those quickie over night camping trips.

That teardrop has saved my sanity twice. Once when I was building it. I had a real boring job and the build kept my mind active. Now completed, it provided a quick way for a great respite in a stressful and busy time of life. Very glad I built that camper.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your father. I'd like to say from personal experience that the tough times will pass, and you'll move on.
If you are like me, you'll get over it to an extent.
However, even though I'm a grownup and I have been wearing my big boy pants for quite a few decades now and Dad and I weren't super close, there are still times I wish I could ask the old man what he'd do. That's when it helps to go have a coffee with Mum.

You use your teardrop the way I do. Those little throw in some food and just getaway from it for a night trips are a real mental health tonic.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:33 pm

Hello all-

I finally have time to build again. I've decided to take an easier path. Purchased a cargo trailer to convert. So much easier than the ground up build I planned here.

Started a new thread in the cargo trailer section for the build: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74638
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals