The Mystery Machine

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Mystery Machine

Postby rjgimp » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Surely at the very least I will have my procrastinator's card suspended for this... I was a lurker for around a year before I finally discovered where I was able to register. Now I have been on board for nearly two years and I need to at least give myself the impression that I am getting started on the build I have been contemplating for some time now.

I found this site quite by accident. If memory serves, I was reading up on composting toilets and some other mods that could be undertaken to make a commercial tt more user-friendly and somehow was offered one of Bob Henry's builds in an internet search. I devoured that thread and a few others including the Astroliner, Foamstream, Road Foamie, and a few cargo conversions. As I inherited a solid popup frame from my folks a number of years ago, my goal has always been to strip it to the frame and build from scratch. I have since found the concept of foam construction fascinating and enlightening! :lol:

So, what am I doing? Good question. 'Tis but a 'mystery'... Let's boil it down to what I have to work with and a list of desireables, shall we? :twisted:

The starting point I have is a 1969 (I think) Steury popup camper. I do have the title. The frame is 7' x 14' with surge brakes. The usable and still-functioning components I will net from the teardown are a 3 burner propane cooktop and a small furnace, a sink and ~6 gallon freshwater tank, two dinette tables with an extra mount to have one of them outside, and a parallel 120VAC/12VDC electrical system with lights, at least two AC receptacles, and a 30amp shore power connection.

Now, the needs and wants. I am certainly not getting any younger and as I hear more and more creaks and groans I am wanting more creature comforts and if I am ever to get my trophy wife to accompany me, the things I would merely want become what she would absolutely need and therefore they become MY needs. How will all of it come together in a neat little package? 'Tis but a Mystery... It will be at least 7x14, I may perhaps stretch the frame a bit. One thought that has spent some time in my head is a back porch with a rear entry. I need a bed for two plus a bunk for our soon-to-be teen daughter, whom we homeschool. I need a potty. I need indoor accommodations for cooking and eating. I need refrigeration. I need 5'10" standing room. I need climate control.

I want an indoor shower. I may get all fancy and want not one but two sinks- one kitchen, one bath. I want to add solar and/or a generator to minimize or even eliminate the need for shore power. I want light weight. This is an area where I have become a huge fan of foam construction. My main tow vehicle is a Hummer H2, so although I could build this with 2x4s like a house and drag it down the road with ease I would much rather build light and still have a single axle and maybe even tow it on occasion with our Volvo. My dad used to tow the Steury comfortably behind his Taurus. With all foam construction, I don't see adding much weight overall other than water. I am still penciling out well under 2000#.

I have tried putzing with different computer imaging tools, but an IT guy I am not. Also I have the camper in storage and getting it home to begin the teardown will be a day's project in itself. I may not make much if any progress or post updates for several weeks or even months. I at least now will have a place to do so. My trophy wife still rolls her eyes at me when I mention this goofy adventure. We did rent a 29' camper and took a trip to Nebraska to enjoy the eclipse 3 summers ago, so I know there is at least a modicum of willingness on her part. Will she put up with my craziness? Will she join me in this newly constructed 'Machine' for a trip or three? What interesting people, places, and things might we find down the road, learning opportunities for our homeschool daughter? 'Tis all but a 'Mystery'...

The Mystery Machine. :vroom:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Re: The Mystery Machine

Postby NevadaBlue » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:22 pm

Watching. I love mysteries. LOTS of pictures will be required of course.

Hurry up. 8)
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby rjgimp » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Ken. I look forward to running into each other somewhere down the road. You strike me as an absolute hoot to hang out with.
:campfire:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 pm

So, a step closer to actually starting. I feel my procrastinator's card disintegrating in my pocket. :frightened:

A couple Saturdays ago I was able to get to my storage and dig out the Steury. It was, as can be seen in the photo, in an 8x40 shipping container and buried behind a bunch of other junk. As I haven't been able to actually inspect the thing in quite some time it appears my memory was, shall we say... less than stellar. I believed the frame to be 7x14. It is not. The width is 7' but the overall length is 14'. the length of the floor is a bit over 10'. This isn't a deal breaker but will certainly make things a bit more challenging. Building with foam I am confident I can stretch the floor 2' to the rear without issue but that still only gets me to about 12'. I welcome any floor plan suggestions that will accommodate all or at least most of the nonsense I said I would like to put in this thing.
:pictures: :twisted:

I will obviously need to get a longer drop hitch and/or bigger tires and wheels to level this thing out as it goes down the road. I had forgotten it also has the half-moon hubcaps that were common in the 60s! As I lifted the top (holy CRAP that thing is heavy when the lift arms are broken!) and saw that the cooktop is only a 2 burner. No biggie.

Once I had dragged it out into the open and strapped the top down, I aired up those 30 year old tires and went on my merry way!
:frightened: :frightened: :frightened:
I had about 35 miles to get home. I stopped a couple times to feel the tires and hubs and everything seemed just fine.
:worship:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:26 pm

Your can get dozens and dozens of floor plan ideas quite easily.
Just Google search "12' camper floor plans". Or whatever overall length you may think you will end up with.
Then click on the images tab when you get your search results.
Presto, Bango, dozens and dozens of plans to view. Hours of entertainment. Enjoy.
These new camper manufactures are pretty good at getting 10lbs of features, into a 5lb bag. Just like you want to do.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby rjgimp » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:13 pm

I have probably already looked at at least a hundred or so in the 10-16 foot range. Lots of good ones out there but still seeking the 'perfect' one.

Grateful for your input! :thumbsup:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:52 pm

Life can change in an instant.

Much like Michael building his Astroliner, the week after that last post I was hospitalized with co-vid and nearly lost. I sent two months in the hospital. I don't recommend it.

I am in recovery and hope to get back to things in a few months. I was sedated and intubated so long I need time in physical therapy to get my body to work properly again.

Those who reached out personally but haven't yet noticed, I have responded to your messages and am so very grateful.

I'll also have a bit of a story to tell in the upcoming months. As the late great radio broadcaster Paul Harvey used to say: "Stand by for NEWS!"
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Welcome back, Rob.
We feared the worst, turns out rightly so.
That is definitely cutting it too close to the bone.
Can't wait to read the story.

Mick
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:02 pm

Welcome back Rob. Your absence was noticed. Glad you pulled through and returned.
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:15 pm

Your post made my day Rob!

Lost too many friends and family in the past few years.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery. Are your wife and daughter doing okay?

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:33 pm

Rob, glad you are back with us.. :applause: hoping for you a quick recovery...
My family has been hit with a couple cases of Covid just this last month, so far, they have been mild cases, but ya just never know.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:40 pm

I tested negative last night after some mild symptoms. Since I'm fully vaccinated, the NP said it may take three days to pull a positive test from the bowels of my nose –-my words not hers. :?

Hopefully, this is just a fatigue-draining cold.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:47 pm

tony.latham wrote:I tested negative last night after some mild symptoms. Since I'm fully vaccinated, the NP said it may take three days to pull a positive test from the bowels of my nose –-my words not hers. :?

Hopefully, this is just a fatigue-draining cold.

Tony

Sorry to hear that Tony; hope you are doing okay! Shelly wishes you well too.

Hope you are doing better too Rob! We're thinking of you.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:05 pm

I have just about resigned myself to the notion that I will get it eventually.
I qualify for he booster shot at the end of January.
I will certainly be having it.
Seems that the vaccinated can still get it, but are less likely to, will experience milder symptoms if they do get it, and be less contagious for a shorter time.
That being the opinions published on some reasonably credible websites, such as Harvard University, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, CDC.gov, etc..
Same websites urge mask wearing as another line of defence.
Having read lots, from places other than Twitter and FB, my thoughts are that vaccination and mask wearing are the way forward.
I don't believe lock downs (we've only had about 5 days worth in my state), mandated maximum crowd densities, contact tracing, and "social distancing" provide enough gain for the pain they cause.
Good ol' prophylaxis whilst going about our business looks like the way to go.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear that Tony; hope you are doing okay!

I managed to jump on the ATV and plow us out today. Just a two-nap day. :?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals