Father/Sons Project

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Father/Sons Project

Postby TimC » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:13 am

Good to see you back at it.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bezoar » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:42 pm

I am feeling accomplished - as of tonight, the entire outside is fiberglassed. I want to add a bit more epoxy and need to do so sanding, then it's on to the paint! Here is a photo of before I started the fiberglass - it was too dark to take a picture tonight!

Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby Bezoar » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:34 pm

A few years longer than I planned, but we are taking the trailer out on a shakedown tomorrow! Less than an hour from the house and just one night, but it is a start.

Still some work to do in the inside, but it should be watertight. Here's some pics from today when we pulled it out of the shed by hand to test the solar system.

Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby RBB » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:16 pm

What a COOL Build!
I look forward to hearing out the shake out run works! Have you had a chance to weigh it?

My build has some similar DNA! Pop up Frame, Por 15 and tractor paint, and insulated for Wisconsin camping! :)

Curious on your thoughts/background on fiberglass... I've been planning on doing PMF (Poor Man's Fiberglass) for my build...
I reckon I can do PMF for under $400... it is just a LONGER process...

Do you mind me asking roughly how much it was to fiberglass? (like... with real actual fiberglass...)
From what I could find from Father Google... I'm looking at over $500 just for the resin if I went that route.
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bezoar » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:25 pm

I had never done epoxy before and heard Tony Latham's advice to do it all horizontally after I had already built my walls, so I had a lot of drips and a lot of sanding. I bought the epoxy from Raka and probably used about 4-5 gallons total, cost about $400 plus the fiberglass, which I bought on fiberglassSite.com for about $100.

Haven't weighed it yet - that pic from today was the first time it has been outside since I moved it to our new pole barn, which was mainly built for the trailer - so compared to that cost, the fiberglass was cheap!!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby Bezoar » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:35 pm

First trip in the books - pulls well and had no significant issues. Still have interior work to do and need to repaint the metal frame for aesthetics, but it's campable!

Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby RBB » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:03 pm

Congrats!!!
:applause:
Looking forward to seeing how the build progresses now that you have had a night or two in it!
Any changes or new ideas on the inside?
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bezoar » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:52 am

This is what it looked like (view through opened emergency exit rear window) on our trip this past weekend. The space under the front bunk can be a 4th bed, but my wife doesn't have much interest in accompanying the boys and I, so we used for storage. There is "cargo door" in front left side that I use to put a window AC through - I plan to build a cabinet around that with a countertop.

I have an 8x8 ft awning to install on the right side, just didn't have time before our recent trip.

I was going to have a U-shaped dinette/bed in rear, but decided on parallel beds with 18 inch walkway between - this is working well for card games, the Ice chest can be pulled rearward to sit at the front of the table. The swinging table leg was pricey, but all the adjustment is nice.

Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby Bezoar » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:01 am

knocking small items off my list before our Labor Day camping trip!

installed our 8x8 foot awning - bought this last year from NAPA after seeing video reviews online - only $99 (at that time - haven't looked since) and seems well made with thick ripstop fabric. Big enough for three of us to sit in chairs in rain or for shade with option to use folding table for cooking outside!

Used 3M command hooks to install curtains - we are going with a "space" theme - more details to come once the Fed Ex guy visits! I made these by hand sewing while listening to youtube videos - wife doesn't trust me with Grandma's antique sewing machine! Hammered in grommets at top for the hooks.
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Great build! The feeling of accomplishment and having a good time camping with sons are priceless! Congrats! :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Bezoar » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:20 pm

Took the trailer a few hours from home to a State Park overlooking the Mississippi. So nice to have it completed enough to camp, but are they ever really "done"?? I am constantly thinking of little things I can do to make it better!

Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby RBB » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:51 pm

Bezoar wrote:Took the trailer a few hours from home to a State Park overlooking the Mississippi.

Wyalusing State Park by chance? Great park, but you have to make sure you get the right loop!
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bezoar » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:01 pm

No openings at any WI state park for Labor day weekend for an electric site! This was Mississippi Palisades SP near Savanna, IL. Everyone in IL came north for the weekend, so we went south!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby RBB » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:34 pm

Bezoar wrote:Everyone in IL came north for the weekend, so we went south!

:applause:
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals