G&M's 'Drop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: G&M's 'Drop

Postby western traveler » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 am

Great progress Garth. So happy for you to be closing in. I keep reminding myself when I feel I want to be at that point, one bite at a time.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Rolled on two coats of Magnapoxy primer today.

GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby GarthB » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Rolled on two coats of Monstaliner today. We finished the second coat late tonight so we'll show off the color once its rolled out in the natural light. :beer:

Everyone that has mentioned this stuff smelling awful was right. We had neighbors asking us what the horrible smell was.
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:49 pm

so we'll show off the color once its rolled out in the natural light. :beer:

Well damn!!!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:30 pm

Nebluya.

I think my wife and I are in a bit of shell shock after seeing it as wood for so long. It's a whole different camper!

The last several days have been around 90F. We found this interesting as we were working on buttoning up some wiring in the driveway as things were cooling off fast. Condensation directly above all of the insulated areas of the roof:

It'll be interesting to see if it continues to happen throughout the life of the camper once we have the doors and fan installed to seal everything up.

We're very excited to be rounding third and headed for home. It's been quite the journey!
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:49 pm

Nebluya.

I like her! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:59 pm

It is all the prep work that makes the top coat pop. That looks great!
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:57 pm

Thank you both! Learning how much elbow grease goes into a decent paint job was definitely humbling.
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby cjlangellier » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:05 pm

Love the color Garth! You guys will be enjoying the fruits of your labor before you know it.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby Bezoar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:15 pm

I like the color! I have been wondering what to choose for the outside color of mine, liking dark colors, but worried about heating up. This looks like a good compromise!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:28 am

Garth, it's turning out really well. I like the color & the finish looks very nice. It's a lot of work getting a good paint job, as the prep work is so time-consuming & the finish tends to reveal any flaws in the prep. Not in this case!

I was always amazed in construction that people see a framed house, with sheathing on the roof deck & figure it's "almost done" when in reality it's only at about 10% completion. The finish time on a house, trailer or any type of build is the most time-consuming part & is the reward for a good job, regardless of time spent, set-backs & problems to deal with. Looks like you were pretty close to your target's finish goal of July, it's just taking a bit longer than planned. That was why I didn't try for a due date on our build, it gets frustrating to have a plan & not meet the goal, hence the "Tucson Tortoise" name & my 2 year build time. In the end, a few more hours spent in the overall project & attention to detail for the finish is what's important, not how fast it can be done. Cutting corners in finish makes for a build with problems later on, or a not-so-nice final appearance. Taking the time to make it right in terms of time & money is the mark of a good builder!

Looking good!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GarthB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:52 am

Thanks a lot Cody, Bezoar, and Noseoil! I really appreciate the encouragement. There have been aspects of this project that have gone easier than I'd anticipated and there have been aspects that have been much, much more difficult.

It's not all rainbows and butterflies quite yet, unfortunately. What I had passed off as being "part of the texture" the last few days actually turns out to be an unexpected demon, commonly known by painters as "solvent popping". Each of the little speckles in the photo is a tiny void of air that didn't make its way through the surface. As we all know, "voids" are a horrible word in projects like these.

After a discussion with Monstaliner over the phone this morning, I have another gallon on order. We couldn't quite nail down the culprite, but it was likely caused by the base coat not being cured enough, the top coat being too thick, or the air temperature. It was low to mid 80's when we applied and we waited approximately 2 hours between coats, since the can stated that re-coat times would be as low as 1-1.5 hours in warm temps. The base coat had hardly any tack left to it when we applied the top coat, so I'm not 100% sold on that theory either.

Regardless of the cause, we'll be sanding down the top coat enough to open up all of these little voids so that they can be filled with a new coat. From what I can tell after a little sanding in spots, the base coat is void free. The gentleman from ML said that I probably didn't have anything worth worrying about if I put it off a year or so. The thought of putting it off is tempting, however, we've worked too hard to get to this point to finish the project with a flawed end product.

I'm thinking we might name this thing Tenacity...
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm

Regardless of the cause, we'll be sanding down the top coat...

Sheeeesh.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:46 pm

Mixing and texture roller may introduce air entrapment in such a thick coating and then the air bubbles float to surface during cure. Moisture can also cause bubbles.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby jongaud » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:50 pm

Article about possible causes for this kind of defect.

Can be solvent from the paint entrapped because dryin too fast. Gas from undercoat. Air inserted from the roller. Others?

https://www.paint.org/coatingstech-maga ... n-defects/
jongaud
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals