Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity (Now) Tear Drop Build

Postby western traveler » Fri May 21, 2021 7:50 am

I spent most of the day on our generator while they worked to restore power to our community and upon reading the Tightbond 3 directions of 45 degrees up there was a change of plans. I fitted the doors, marked out the wall insulation and cut the hinge strut slot with a template. I also started on cutting inside panels in preparation of warmer temperatures, but not happening today either.
Attachments
4F8EE718-6C75-43AF-90A0-4BCCD41C4746.jpeg
4F8EE718-6C75-43AF-90A0-4BCCD41C4746.jpeg (106.49 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
Last edited by western traveler on Fri May 21, 2021 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri May 21, 2021 7:55 am

Swoody :lol:
Well it worked once and only took an hour.
Thanks for the morning chuckle...
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:04 am

my pressure ... i mean PLEASURE

job #1 each day is to cause smiles/laughter ;)

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby JoeGrz » Tue May 25, 2021 7:11 pm

western traveler wrote:I have a bit more trimming on the door cutouts but they are very close. I just couldn’t help myself from cutting most of the voids proud. I am mentally struggling with the concept though I get it. Just too many years spent out on the ocean in wooden boats and pounding seas.

I am like you, I was concerned about cutting out too much wood because of strength concerns. Unfortunately, my carpentry is not as good I would like. Some areas took out more wood than I thought I would. I also left more wood on the top so that I can come back later and add a roof rack. I don't think condensation will be a problem for you if you have a little more wood and less insulation. The difference in the area isn't enough to make a difference in the overall insulation value. the inch of wood that the walls have has an insulation value of its own. The little bit that I have seen about condensation in teardrops are the single thin skin ones like the CLC one. It is a great looking little teardrop but the thin wall of plywood doesn't slow the heat transfer enough to keep the inner surface warm. If I'm wrong, I will have condensation on the tops of my walls and I will have to come back and edit this.

This is the first chance I have had to sit and read others journals. I look forward to watching your build come together. I'm still wishing I could have found someone to put my trailer chassis together. My welding ability still has me concerned. Also, I think those fenders will look great. Combined with your wheels, it gives the teardrop that vintage look. I went with the jeep style to give it more of an off-road look. Tony has certainly given us a very customizable design.
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Wed May 26, 2021 7:20 am

“JoeGRZ wrote:
I don't think condensation will be a problem for you if you have a little more wood and less insulation. The difference in the area isn't enough to make a difference in the overall insulation value. the inch of wood that the walls have has an insulation value of its own.”

Joe, I was thinking the same thing. It is not like the difference of an entire wall of insulation vs none. I think it will create a bit more cold spots in the wall with the wood transference.

I have already purchased my Propex heater too. (I can’t imagine not having one for the various months I camp. We saw weather in the 20’s last week with 4 days of snow and 5 inches on the ground.
Last edited by western traveler on Wed May 26, 2021 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed May 26, 2021 7:25 am

Got a break in the weather...165505
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed May 26, 2021 7:28 am

I was able to complete the interior laminations.
Today I plan to route the waste off them...165506
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed May 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Another day of progress. Hoping to start attaching the exterior panels to the skeleton tomorrow. I will be using 1/4” 5X5’ Baltic birch panels.
Last edited by western traveler on Wed May 26, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed May 26, 2021 6:03 pm

There is one thing I should have handled during the glue up of the internal skins. I applied a liberal amount of Titebond III so I would have squeeze out. What I didn’t do was wipe it away before it dried. When the time came to run the router to flush cut the skins I had to scrape the excess off with a wood chisel so the bit wouldn’t hop.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed May 26, 2021 6:07 pm

This is a doe and fawn antelope that was behind our barn this morning. The fawn is still unsteady on its legs.
I am posting this merely to practice posting my photos right side up... :applause: 165529
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 26, 2021 7:23 pm

This is a doe and fawn antelope ...

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri May 28, 2021 9:27 pm

I got the outer skins attached to the skeletons over the last two days.
Both sides are complete short of finish prep and coatings. Not sure if I want to finish them up or build out the floor first. 165719165720
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:49 pm

I got both port and starboard walls prepped and tinted with Golden Brown TransTint dye this weekend. I had to decide where my seam was going to land due to 5 foot panels. First choice was on the door to be mostly hidden but I didn’t want to mess up the spacing for the floor and ceiling so took a safer path. Truth I messed alignment up anyway by not placing fasteners through the facing. I wanted to keep my options open trim or no trim on this woody build. Well the panel shifted when I removed the alignment blocks.Naturally questioning my decision now but trim will cover. A large seam had to fall somewhere...
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:58 pm

Today I got one panel glassed with 4oz cloth and Raka epoxy. I did a fill coat later in the day. The jury is out on whether it will level out to an acceptable point. I touched it up with a propane torch to remove bubbles which seemed to help. Some of the dark lines are lighting not stain.165804
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:25 pm

western traveler wrote:Today I got one panel glassed with 4oz cloth and Raka epoxy. I did a fill coat later in the day. The jury is out on whether it will level out to an acceptable point. I touched it up with a propane torch to remove bubbles which seemed to help. Some of the dark lines are lighting not stain.165804

Looking good! Hopefully it levels out well. I used the same epoxy/cloth combo on our build and it didn't as much as I was hoping for, most likely due to lack of experience. Are you planning on using fiberglass tape on the wall/roof joint?
GarthB
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals