Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity (Now) Tear Drop Build

Postby western traveler » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:58 pm

GarthB wrote:
western traveler wrote:Today I got one panel glassed with 4oz cloth and Raka epoxy. I did a fill coat later in the day. The jury is out on whether it will level out to an acceptable point. I touched it up with a propane torch to remove bubbles which seemed to help. Some of the dark lines are lighting not stain.165804

Looking good! Hopefully it levels out well. I used the same epoxy/cloth combo on our build and it didn't as much as I was hoping for, most likely due to oz lack of experience. Are you planning on using fiberglass tape on the wall/roof joint?

Thanks Garth, It’s going to need to be sanded a bit and another coat applied. I just came in from trimming the excess cloth from the edges.
I will be more patient with the other wall. I got too ambitious with the fill coat.

I’m using 6oz on the roof. I couldn’t locate anything lighter than that in 60” width and I looked a lot at the time.
The 4oz cloth wetted out really easily. I’m hoping the 6oz will as well. I’m going to put a small radius on the edge and see if the cloth will hold that bend. If not I will use some bias cut tape to seal the seam.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:52 am

The 4oz cloth wetted out really easily. I’m hoping the 6oz will as well.

I doubt you'll notice a difference. But keep an eye on it to ensure the wood doesn't pull too much resin out of it. If it happens, the weave will be more pronounced and in the right light, will appear white-ish.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:40 am

Tony TY for that Input…

Getting caught up on my progress. I cut the rear hatch pieces from the walls after a guide for my Bosch jig saw arrived. I should have proceeded without it. It tended to pull the blade inward as I cut the radius no matter how careful I tried to proceed. I abandoned it after the first side was cut. The second side went well. At least the outer edge on the first side has the proper shape and I was able to get a good radius on the inner raised hatch lip once those panels were attached. I had to wait on the 1 1/4” router bushing to be delivered. Dang, I thought I had one!
I then attached the shelf supports to the walls and got the pocket holes drilled in both.
Today I plan on chasing any left over glue drips around the edges along with general cleanup of the walls, then I will start with the varnish work. Looking forward to building the floor while waiting between coats.
Progress….
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 am

Looking forward to building the floor while waiting between coats.

Who woulda thought that a teardrop cabin takes about a gallon of varnish? Sheeesh.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 am

Tony,
Does it?
I have no idea. I’m sure you can relate to buying in quantity when living in the boondocks. I have at least a gallon on hand :oops:
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:03 am

tony.latham wrote:
Looking forward to building the floor while waiting between coats.

Who woulda thought that a teardrop cabin takes about a gallon of varnish? Sheeesh.

Tony

It really is impressive the number of gallons of glue/adhesives, epoxies, sealants that go into these little trailers.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:20 pm

western traveler wrote:Tony,
Does it?
I have no idea. I’m sure you can relate to buying in quantity when living in the boondocks. I have at least a gallon on hand :oops:
Yeah, maybe a gallon and a quart.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:03 pm

Yep, I trust you. Just shy of 2 quarts so far on the two walls. Of course the headliner and bulkheads are yet to come. A light sanding tomorrow and I will do a coat of MinWax wipe on fast drying polyurethane.

Funny, When I was buying supplies for the build I only found gallon jugs of TiteBond 3 and thought what the heck am I going to do with all the leftover. I have since purchased more.

Started on the floor today. Planning on a storage compartment built in between the doors. On the trailer as it is the only flat surface available right now.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:21 am

I only found gallon jugs of TiteBond 3

Yeah... it's amazing how much stuff one of these takes.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JoeGrz » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:36 pm

Looking good. You're right about all the glue, finish, etc that goes into this. I'm fortunate in that I have several big box stores within a short distance of me. I don't have to buy in quantity though I wish I did with the varnish. I got a gallon, then a quart, and another quart and I will need another when I put the finish on the galley drawers. I kept saying "Surely this is all I will need." Should have just bought the second gallon. One thing I'm thinking you might want to do is put the angle for the countertop on now as well. I had to up size mine to 1-1/2 angle since I couldn't get the drill into the right place to install the 1 inch angle
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:27 pm

Thanks Joe and thank you for the heads up on the angle.
A friend drove 5 hours up from home to help me the last two days. We now have all the prep on the walls done, bulkheads cut and varnished. Ready to dry fit and erect the walls in the morning if all goes well. Should have time to deal with the aluminum if necessary. Amazing what an extra set of hands can accomplish.
WT166078
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:02 am

It turned out to be a busy but gratifying day. The walls are finally up!
We placed shims between the trailer rail and floor in a few places. I also decided to put screws through the outer walls into the bulkheads to secure them and help maintain square. They will get addressed later.
Finally had an opportunity to see the true fender clearance off the permanent wall. They will need a lot of trimming as anticipated then will get painted out.
It was great having my buddy here helping and brainstorming for a couple days. Nice to have smart and talented friends.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:05 am

western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:06 am

western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:13 am

western traveler wrote:166091

It's an extra big deal to get the walls up and see it taking on a 3D shape. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals