Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity TearDrop Build

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 am

I also purchased a Renogy suitcase Solar panel...

You'll like that thing. Have you figured out a connector for it yet? I like the Zamp connectors. I installed one so I can plug a charger in for the winter.

I'm holding the charger adapter for it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:52 am

Tony,
Just what I need. One is on the way. I was unable to find a MC4>SAE connector as small as you have pictured assuming you have a Renogy panel attached to it. That seems to be what I need. I did find something I hope will work.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 pm

assuming you have a Renogy panel attached to it.

The only thing I connect to it is a Noco charger in the winter. The adapter in my hand suits that task.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:03 am

Thanks Tony,
Sometimes my reading comprehension is a bit lacking.

I received the portable panel yesterday. It seems really nice quality. Also a couple of things that were given as negatives in reviews seem to have been dealt with. The handle and latches seem substantial. The case is nice too.
I ordered a 15’ extension cable from Renogy and duh, reading comprehension…I needed to order two.

Moving the controller to the galley looks simple, however I am going to hold off on that for the time being. I will see how it functions as rigged with the exception of using the Solar Port to bring the cable inside.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby JoeGrz » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:10 pm

I have a side mount solar connector as well for my solar panel. It is up in the front since my charge controller is up there in the headboard. It is some kind of SAE fitting that looks a lot like the one that Tony is showing. I have the Renogy solar panel and I bought two 20 ft cables with the solar panel connection as well as an adapter for the SAE connection at the wall. If you’re wired in with your electrical up front, I don’t see why you wouldn’t leave the controllers there. All my electrical is in the headboard so that is where I put my solar panel connection. Let me know if you would like me to figure out how to put the Amazon links to what I have in a post as well as some pictures. Also, my solar to SAE adapter isn’t like Tony’s. There is a length of wire between the two ends. I don’t remember how much but it isn’t very long. Also, for some reason I think I had to put the black wire of the adapter on the red wire from the panel and vice versa to make it work. Again, I can get pictures if you would like

Joe
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:41 am

JoeGrz wrote:I have a side mount solar connector as well for my solar panel. Also, my solar to SAE adapter isn’t like Tony’s. There is a length of wire between the two ends. I don’t remember how much but it isn’t very long. Also, for some reason I think I had to put the black wire of the adapter on the red wire from the panel and vice versa to make it work. Again, I can get pictures if you would like

Joe

Thanks Joe,
I already purchased the pigtail connector. It is a MC4 to SAE connector. I believe it reverses polarity for the Renogy panel. I think that is what you are doing if you are going red to black with your wires.

My problem was I only purchased one 15’ extension wire and I need two. Why wouldn’t they just package and sell it that way? :o
My mistake, as it was in the product reviews.

Hind sight being 20/20 yes, I should have run a wire for it in the overhead to the front but I had zero clue what I needed at the time I was wiring. Now the plan is to stay adaptable for chasing the sun with the panel, Sun vs shade. Lemonade…
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:53 am

My problem was I only purchased one 15’ extension wire and I need two.

Why two?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JoeGrz » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:21 am

tony.latham wrote:
My problem was I only purchased one 15’ extension wire and I need two.

Why two?

Tony

When I got mine, they were single wires instead of a 2 wire cable. Kind of useless as a single wire but it makes sense to someone
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby JoeGrz » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:35 am

western traveler wrote:Hind sight being 20/20 yes, I should have run a wire for it in the overhead to the front but I had zero clue what I needed at the time I was wiring. Now the plan is to stay adaptable for chasing the sun with the panel, Sun vs shade. Lemonade…

It sounds like you don’t have a charge controller yet. If that is the case, you should be able to mount it with your battery. The solar controllers aren’t very big. I have terminal strips in the back with the battery that has the line from the controller, the battery and the fuse panel tied to it. In that arrangement, the wall plug at the back of the trailer should work fine.

It is a challenge to chase the sun with the panel. Especially with all the trees in the way.
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:34 pm

JoeGrz wrote:It sounds like you don’t have a charge controller yet. If that is the case, you should be able to mount it with your battery. The solar controllers aren’t very big. I have terminal strips in the back with the battery that has the line from the controller, the battery and the fuse panel tied to it. In that arrangement, the wall plug at the back of the trailer should work fine.

Joe,
Yes, I have a controller mounted on the back of the solar panel. It is connected by a hinge and held in place with Velcro.
It sounds like I have a similar setup by the battery as you. A power strip next to it for of a couple things.
The controller is easy to detach and move to my galley panel. I want to make sure everything works before doing that.
I am considering fabricating a bracket that will fit in the bike rack square tube on the tongue that I could spin and set for the best angle. That would keep things out of the way when camped.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:25 pm

When I got mine, they were single wires instead of a 2 wire cable.

You could cobble one up from an extension cord.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:35 am

tony.latham wrote:
When I got mine, they were single wires instead of a 2 wire cable.

You could cobble one up from an extension cord.

Tony

Tony,
Thanks for weighing in. The cables I purchased have quick connects which I want to use outside the TD. I am going to use a couple of 10ga wire runs inside to connect the solar port to the controller and then to the battery. After looking at things it appears there is no need to use anything provided for that short run if I am understanding correctly. The wires with alligator clips are just connected to the controller with screws. The pigtail pictured is the MC4 to SAE connector.
The single cable (15ft) is what I needed two of.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:37 am

The single cable (15ft) is what I needed two of.

Gotcha. Did you ever wonder if you'd make it to this point? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 am

I have it parked in my attached garage to work on..
I often walk out there and I am instantly struck with the realization I am to this point. A camp-able TD.
I recently read through my build journal and that really hit home.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:39 am

I recently read through my build journal and that really hit home.

:thumbsup: :thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals