Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity (Now) Tear Drop Build

Postby western traveler » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Thanks Tony,
It feels like another mountain range crossed on a long journey. Can’t smell the Ocean from here but know it’s ahead.
Your manual has been such a valuable tool! My visitor/weekend helper/friend was surprised at the detail outlined in your book.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:34 pm

It looking great! It was extremely satisfying to get the walls up on my build. The next moray satisfying part was getting the headliner in. You’ll be there before you know it!
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby JoeGrz » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:20 pm

It's great to see you now have what looks like a teardrop and not a stack of wood. I agree with cjlanglier. The headliner is the next satisfying milestone. That is the point that I got in and actually had a feel for the actual size and what it would be like to spend a little time in there.
I love the look of those fenders. They really give it that classic look.
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:59 am

Your manual has been such a valuable tool! My visitor/weekend helper/friend was surprised at the detail outlined in your book.

Thanks. In a previous life, I woulda thought, "I'm being worked." :?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:32 pm

tony.latham wrote:

Thanks. In a previous life, I woulda thought, "I'm being worked." :?

Tony

Ha, in a previous life I would argue lack of motive…
I mean you already respond to all the dumb questions I ask you…
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Latest work included Laminating three 1X4 oak boards, trimming them to 2” and setting the hatch spar. Setting the combination galley/cabin shelf. I then did a rough install on the Propex 2000 heater and set the upper bulkhead. Now fitting the galley vertical panels. Hope to set them tomorrow.
It is such a good feeling to walk out to the barn to work and see a partially built teardrop sitting there.
I think similar to the hull of a boat build finally being turned right side up.166156166155
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:52 pm

I then did a rough install on the Propex 2000 heater...

We use ours a LOT more than I thought we would. We returned yesterday from a three-nighter in the panhandle and used it one morning and each night for a bit.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Well, I had to interrupt my build to travel to San Diego and Minneapolis for over a week. It was great to be with family but painful being away from the project.

I got to thinking about the drop floor I built in and had a discussion with a couple of members over different aspects of it. I’m including a photo I hadn’t posted. I am taking an item mentioned in Steve Fredrick’s book. My plan is to split the lid into two pieces. 1/3 and 2/3 fashioning a table top from the larger piece. I think that will give enough room to climb in and out of the tear without having to remove it. I will stay fluid in the design.
The bottom of the drop floor is 6” below the frame and 98” rear of the hitch ball. It is difficult to get a good measurement of ground clearance as I am on a gravel floor but looks to be at least 10”

Edit; I got it on flat cement floor and I have just a hair under 12” clearance. I think I am good.

I glassed the outside of it and doubled up the corners and edges. I will probably just spray it black from a rattle can.
I added 1” oak rails to the inside for the lip and glued up a pattern to use for cutting the lids. I’m using a couple of 3/4” scrap pieces so don’t have a straight edge to start with and thought the pattern would help.
Last edited by western traveler on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:07 pm

I took care of a few detail items, capping end grains, fitting the Propex heater vents into the bulkhead and adding supports to the galley vertical walls but the big item was laminating and dry fitting the headliner and getting it varnished. Now I need to figure a way to get it into position to fasten it down (it needs to be turned over) and in position by myself. Hopefully tomorrow. Don’t want to over stress it and have it break. 166482166486166484
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Well, today it went good. After coming up with a plan last night which didn’t require asking a friend to come help, everything just fell into place. Now fingers crossed for no surprises with something I missed.
Funny, as I was sitting inside I realized it is the first time I have ever been inside a teardrop. ;) 166507166506166505
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:38 am

western traveler wrote:Funny, as I was sitting inside I realized it is the first time I have ever been inside a teardrop. ;)

Funny, the first time I had ever been inside a teardrop was when I built mine, too.
I wonder just how many members of TNTTT are the same?

How many stepped up and did a motherload of work based on not much more than an idea?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby western traveler » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:48 am

Mick, I’m betting many!

A bit of fastening left to do on the headliner, cut out the fan opening, and on to wiring.
Also I finally can see the fix pending on one of my misaligned side panels. A bit of filler to even things out for the router and I will put that error behind me.166540
Last edited by western traveler on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:51 am

western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:20 pm

@Tony.Latham
I don’t remember, is it one rattler per build or do I still have to watch for another?

I have an agreement with the snakes on our place. Wander the acreage but stay off the driveway. (I no longer relocate them, I’m getting old and slow). Besides this one was not happy at all while coiled in the shade under my drivers side door and let me know it. I have always considered Prairie rattlers less aggressive than the Pacific Diamondbacks but not this one.

Not the first skin to end up in this jar.

western traveler
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 pm

I don’t remember, is it one rattler per build or do I still have to watch for another?

Holy crap!!!

They quit snapping at me after my second build. The funny thing is that I killed one here at the house (the bastard just about nailed me) and his skin is still in the jar. I need to pull it out, roll on the dowel and let it dry.

If I'm in the hills... they live. But not at home. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals