Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity TearDrop Build

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:29 pm

western traveler wrote:169005169006169007

Congratulations on your trip and the great memories you've made. :thumbsup: :applause:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:41 pm

Well, it has been a tough summer to accomplish unfinished items here in Montana.
Medical issues for my S/O and Covid for me. I did manage to take a day trip to Glacier. After weeks of treatment (Covid with asthma sucks) I was able to get the TD out of the garage the other day and have energy to work about an hour at a time.
Once again concerned with my abilities but excited. I have started on the mahogany trim work. The lower transition between cabin and trailer is shiplap and the molding covering the steel will be floating. I sealed the backside with resin. Sanded off the urethane I had protecting the fiberglass along the edges.
[album][album][/album][/album]170029170027170030170028
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:57 pm

Glad to hear you are back up on your feet and making progress again! That trim is going to look great. It adds a ton of depth and character to the profile.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:09 pm

:thumbsup: also glad you're back with us.. you already know, take it slow..
I've had 4 family members down with Covid here real recently.. two hit hard with it, to mild cases..
tears going to look great when you get it redone..
Mahogany, has always been one of my favorite species, next to gaboon wood.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:48 pm

cjlangellier wrote:Glad to hear you are back up on your feet and making progress again! That trim is going to look great. It adds a ton of depth and character to the profile.

Thanks Cody,
I have had it cut all summer just waiting for the time to attach it. Hopefully it ends up capturing the look I want. I have all along been thinking had I known how well the edge seams of fiberglass would turn out I would have spent more time hiding the fasteners and skipped the trim but I do still want the retro look and think it will add to it.
Your cabinets look awesome which is no surprise!

Thanks David.
I walked a half a block in town today and was relieved to make it back to my truck! Crazy!
One day at a time…
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby JoeGrz » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:30 pm

Glad you're feeling at least a little better. I came down with the Covid two weeks ago and fortunately it was a mild case. I am finally back to where I can do things but I am beat at the end of the day. My energy has returned a little bit each day. Hopefully, yours will too.
The trim is going to be a nice touch to what already was a great looking trailer. Can't wait to see the final product

Joe
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:29 pm

Joe you are describing my recovery. Feeling good but get tired easily.

This is a learn as I go endeavor. No fasteners in this section. I’m using Raka epoxy thickened with Fumed Silica.
It is strong. I had to laugh at myself the other day. I left the lower trim proud at the galley hatch to trim later. I attached it and later in the day went to open the lid. Glued shut. After cutting it free I needed a wood chisel to clean the wood and resin behind it off the fiberglass.

One more section to do (the hatch) then I can start sanding, shaping and cleaning the trim up. 170120170119170118
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby orourkmw » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:09 am

Glad you're back, WesternTraveler! Look forward to your updates.
Mike
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:50 am

Thanks Mike…

I do have an update. I had researched a lot of techniques as to how to accomplish this step from steam bending to making a male mold to bend strips around etc. I found a lot of mixed information and drawbacks many successes and a few failures. The biggest being spring back when coming off the form. I have had 10 months to question myself and my abilities since I started using the TD and waiting for the time to jump in.

I started with a 16’X12”X2” rough sawn piece of mahogany that was left over material from a handrail repair I had done on one of my fishing boats. I had it for many years not knowing what to do with it. This project took all of that along with a few remnants from the same job. What is left are a few extra strips that were for potential bending failures. So glad I didn’t have to buy this mahogany but was concerned with ruining it. Quality lumber from a hardwood supplier in San Diego.

As expected the hatch was the most difficult to bend the mahogany around. I am using four 1/8” by 2 1/2” strips overlapping the side strips so I end up with a 2”X 2” cap. The purpose of all this was to have no visible fasteners, no new penetrations and to reinforce/hide the 6oz/4oz glass overlapped seam on the roof line and the aesthetic look as a retro-build.

I stapled the end on my first section of strips with a T-50 stapler to try to control the very slippery bundle but it was of little help. What did work was clamping the end of the stack down and running a ratchet strap fore and aft to ease it down while keeping the pieces flush with each other. I staggered the ends as I went.
I was warned by Raka Inc tech support that this mixture was going to be very difficult to sand. For the first two sections I was able to chase the squeeze out with a rag and acetone as the bends were mild and I could shift the clamps. Not so with the hatch. Too many clamps and a much more radical bend. I felt lucky to get the strips down and in place before the epoxy going off. Spent hours cleaning up the sides of the laminates.
If someone wants feedback on the lessons learned throughout this just ask.
Got everything sanded out and stained yesterday.
Ralph

western traveler
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:58 pm

It was wroth the effort, the trim looks great.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:53 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JoeGrz » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:33 pm

That trim really dresses it up. Very nice! :applause: :applause:
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby orourkmw » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:51 pm

Wow! That looks great! You’re giving me ideas for mine….
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:21 am

Jasen, Tony and Joe,
Thank you!
I am happy I added the molding. It is what I envisioned at the start. Glad I didn’t blow it off.

Mike Thanks,
I hope it does inspire you. Folks here have both inspired me and given advice on how to get there.
Ralph
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:24 pm

Very nice job, Ralph! The trim really compliments the trailer nicely.
GarthB
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals