Serenity TearDrop Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Serenity TearDrop Build

Postby Capebuild » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 pm

Glad things worked out well for you, Ralph.
I think, when our trailer if finally finished, our first trip will be to Nickerson State Park, about a mile from our home. Just do a dry run. Each consecutive trip maybe an hour away, then 2 hours away, etc..... to catch any unpleasantries...as far as they can be caught in time.

Great photos. Such a beautiful landscape and so different from the northeast....... and except for your mishap, seems like a great trip.

Keep on truckin'.......

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:40 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
western traveler wrote:One thing of note, it appears they graze cattle during the summer in the area.

It's a "he11 of a place to lose a cow!" --Ebenezer Bryce ;)

Great travel log! Glad the spinning studs problem was resolved safely and effectively!

We're postponing our trip due to the increased covid cases :( . Shelly is a cancer survivor and we're paranoid about complications. She decided to stop substitute teaching after several teachers got it at our school system in Albuquerque.

Tom

Tom, was that in Shelly’s study guide? I had to look it up. Jk. I know this place has a lot of folks much brighter and more talented than me!
I had found this one before reaching Zion though.

My bride wasn’t on this trip for a similar reason. The West Coast route was one she hasn’t done. She is much younger but we have to remain very fluid on travel plans dependent how she reacts to treatments.
Everyone knows someone…
Last edited by western traveler on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:51 am

tony.latham wrote:
I popped the hubcap and as I was checking around the grease cap I realized a lug nut was loose.

Dang!

Left side?

Tony

Tony,
No, it was on the right side. It was dark when I left Beaver Creek and stopped at the pullout. I don’t recall trying to move the tires side to side there. My normal check along with looking for splayed grease. I had rattled a wire loose on one of the clearance lights and got sidetracked messing with that
Last edited by western traveler on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:57 am

swoody126 wrote:a rather unusual event

so glad you found good folks to help out

just this week i found this picture on Pinterest and stole it for future reference

261f534bbb7442f5d19c29b8e84f2c08.jpg

it is a spindle stub w/ a greased hub and spare mounted to it on the trailer tongue

consider it referenced

sw

Swoody, that is slick!
Wondering if it was on a boat trailer?
Long hauls with a good dunking at the end. A good recipe.
Could have used it on this trip…
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:53 pm

Capebuild wrote:Glad things worked out well for you, Ralph.
I think, when our trailer if finally finished, our first trip will be to Nickerson State Park, about a mile from our home. Just do a dry run. Each consecutive trip maybe an hour away, then 2 hours away, etc..... to catch any unpleasantries...as far as they can be caught in time.

Great photos. Such a beautiful landscape and so different from the northeast....... and except for your mishap, seems like a great trip.

Keep on truckin'.......

John

John,
Thanks it was a great trip! Even with this issue.

Imagine, I didn’t find it until parked in my campsite and the issue was handled easily by good folks with the bonus of a side trip to Lake Havasu.

Funny, I made two trips to weigh the trailer. One 80 miles and one 120 miles. Then I put nearly 300 miles on her with my trip to Glacier.
Before leaving I re-torqued the lugs (close to the prescribed 500 mile re-torque) and aired up.

I had traveled approximately 1940 miles on this trip when this occurred.

Also for this trip I took out the heavy tool box, snatch blocks, spectra, winch, air bottle, extra jack, etc that normally live in the back of my truck (I kept one set of chains, jumper cables and a can of gas) as I felt it was too heavy and I’m getting too old to use it
:cry:
Of course none of that stuff would have helped much. I did have a plan B though if I was unable to get outside help.
Last edited by western traveler on Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks for taking us along for the ride &
Glad there were no skidmarks.
I have had, do have and have used spidle spares ;)
Have traveled to town for them; Glad the view was good
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby western traveler » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:12 pm

Thanks for following along Twisted lines!

A couple photos of HI Jolly BLM dispersed camping in Quartzite. Rigs of every type scattered about the area (TD sporting the spare tire).
I was told by the camp host that a group of TD’s show up each January at Hi Jolly for a gathering. Wouldn’t mind any info anyone could share on that.
Last edited by western traveler on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:47 pm

My trip totaled just over 2050 miles.
A couple of thoughts I had on things;

1. The more I camped the more comfortable I found the TD to be. Up to this point I would not change a thing as to the layout.

2. I found I needed to set the cruise control often as I would find myself doing 80 (the speed limit) along with everyone else.

3. I cannot imagine not having the Propex Heater. I used it at least briefly all but one night over the entire trip. It’s not like I have never camped in the cold but it is so comfortable especially when heading inside from fireside in cold weather. I do a good bit of Spring and Fall camping.

4. The Max Fan is whisper quiet and slows to a minimum. Maybe they made some improvements to them? I was concerned having read so much about trying to slow and quiet the larger fans down BUT I am deaf in one ear so there’s that.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby JoeGrz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Ralph - that sounds like quite a trip. Those places are on my list to visit. I just need to find the time. Also, I am going to check my lug nuts when I get home. I don't need to follow in your footsteps down that path.
I agree with the tear being comfortable. It is a lot easier to roll out after sleeping on that mattress as opposed to the little air mattress. The interior has worked really well for me. I might change something after some time and experience but now, I too, can't think of anything to change.
The Propex heater is on the list of things to add. I just don't know when. There are so many other things I want/need to do in the coming year, it may be a project that is a couple years out. Because I don't have the heater, I watch the weather closely.
I agree with your comment on the MaxxFan. I only ran it on the first trip. It moved the air and kept us very comfortable without the noise.
JoeGrz
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 pm

1. The more I camped the more comfortable I found the TD to be. Up to this point I would not change a thing as to the layout.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:54 pm

A bit of urban camping in San Diego County. Kind of became a foodie trip while trying a tripod instead of coals with my Dutch oven. The venison roast was delicious as were the blueberry pancakes.168058168059168060168061168062168063168065168066168064
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:17 pm

western traveler wrote:A bit of urban camping in San Diego County. Kind of became a foodie trip while trying a tripod instead of coals with my Dutch oven. The venison roast was delicious as were the blueberry pancakes.168062

western traveler, Great build log. :applause: just read through it all. Thank you for the documentation you did on all of it. :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to getting my solar system setup, have everything ordered now.
In the picture above. Is that a dryer tub under the dutch over?
I have been looking for a way to generate more fire and heat in a condensed area of the campground fire ring pit. I believe you just showed me the answer. Specially with a higher wind.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:08 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
western traveler wrote:A bit of urban camping in San Diego County. Kind of became a foodie trip while trying a tripod instead of coals with my Dutch oven. The venison roast was delicious as were the blueberry pancakes.168062

western traveler, Great build log. :applause: just read through it all. Thank you for the documentation you did on all of it. :thumbsup:
In the picture above. Is that a dryer tub under the dutch over?
I have been looking for a way to generate more fire and heat in a condensed area of the campground fire ring pit. I believe you just showed me the answer. Specially with a higher wind.

David,
Thank you for the kind words regarding my build journal.

It’s a stainless washing machine tub.
The campground required our own fire pit. The ones on Amazon and the big box stores were tinny or more expensive. These average $25 at used appliance stores that even advertise them as such :thumbsup:

You are right about generating vertical heat. It took some getting used to for cooking. Almost a rocket stove effect.
Also radiates a lot of heat to the sides. Make sure you ask for stainless. 168067
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby orourkmw » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:58 pm

Thanks for your detailed and interesting journal. I’m early in my build but am also following Tony’s book very closely. Still I feel that I maybe only know 80% of what I’m doing. It gives me some confidence to see how you made it through…and with a spectacular rig!
Mike
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:56 pm

orourkmw wrote:Thanks for your detailed and interesting journal. I’m early in my build but am also following Tony’s book very closely. Still I feel that I maybe only know 80% of what I’m doing. It gives me some confidence to see how you made it through…and with a spectacular rig!
Mike

Mike,
Thank you for that! Also I hope you picked up on a few errors I made along the way and was happy to share.
If you follow Tony’s book and advice you are traveling a road to success too.
I have more work to do come Spring but I am using it this winter.
Ralph
western traveler
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals