CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:57 am

<snip>
Last edited by bdosborn on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:44 am

I find that my rig is now on the "other side" of being done (of course it seems like it's one of those things that's never really done) I spend time tweaking it (thus never really done). Never leave well enough alone. One thing that really bothered me was the conversion from bed to couch and back again to bed mode. There were a couple of stop blocks that had angles on them for the bed platform to ride over but the angles were too sharp. There were also some areas where there needed to be less free space alone the sides which was causing some misalignments issues. After making some revisions the whole unit seems to operate much more easily. Before I needed my wife on one side, me on the other to do the conversion. Now I can do it myself.

Thought I'd share the conversion process.
John

Last edited by Capebuild on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:46 pm

Embedded video! You learn quick! :beer:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:16 pm

RJ Howell wrote:Embedded video! You learn quick!

I had a good teacher! 8)
Thanks again for your help with that..... worked out well.

That will get me primed up for posting short videos for our upcoming travels out west.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:33 am

That operates really good John.

That's something I have to nail, I won't have access from the side like you.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:47 pm

Aug 9, 2022

Received my long awaited Partner Stove. Works great, lid closes nicely and I can say it's really a beautiful piece of equipment.... very nicely crafted.
Looking forward to putting it to use and cooking some nice gourmet meals :R

John
Attachments
IMG_7079 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7079 Medium.jpeg (106.89 KiB) Viewed 732 times
IMG_7082 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7082 Medium.jpeg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 732 times
IMG_7083 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7083 Medium.jpeg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 732 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TallGuy7 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:04 pm

Beautiful and a perfect fit!

How did you position the gas container and gas line? I am having a similar setup but have not figured that out yet… because as the stove moves the gas line also has to be able to move with the stove.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
TallGuy7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:30 pm

Received my long awaited Partner Stove.

So it's working fine now???

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:38 pm

How did you position the gas container and gas line? I am having a similar setup but have not figured that out yet… because as the stove moves the gas line also has to be able to move with the stove.

I ordered my Partner with the gas inlet on the right side. When the stove is pushed in, there's a U-shaped line that hangs down. That line connects to a rubber propane line attached to the chassis frame.

You can kinda see it here at about 3:30:

The propane lines (one for the stove and one for the heater) run to the tank on the tongue box.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:56 pm

tony.latham wrote:So it's working fine now???
Tony

Yes.... burners light soon as torch is contacted to burner (before only half lit up) and the lid closes without binding. I had sent it back to Partner and had many discussions with Jaime (president if Partner). Great guy and was very helpful in making things "right". Good company and nice product.

TallGuy7 wrote:How did you position the gas container and gas line?

I'm not sure I designed the hose to stove in the most efficient manner, but time will tell. Unlike Tony and the way he set his up (which I think is the more efficient way to do it) I have the inlet on the left side and will run the hose to the propane on the outside of the trailer. The downside is I'll need to disconnect all when I want to close the hatch. I did not have the room at the rear of the stove to have the inlet on the right side and accordion the hose when it was in the closed position. I'm looking into quick connect/disconnect fittings which may make things a little more efficient .... but I want to use it for a while and see how things work out.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:07 pm

And your TD is now officially complete, for now ;)

As far as plumbing the stove, my Flame King is plumbed out the back but there is room to put a 90 on there so I can take it out the left side.
My plan is to run the line diagonally, floor up to stove, then it is more of a leaning motion on the hose instead of a push/pull/kink/pinch, I may also add a bungee cord to hold up/retract the line if need be.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Onajourney » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:07 pm

Hey John- I find myself coming back and referencing your amazing build. I am framing up the roof and have a question regarding the window. My plan is to frame the opening around 1.5 larger than the window. Then make a 1.5 insert template to router cut both ceiling and roof, Then uninstall the template to install trimlok and glass. Is that similar to what you did? I guess yours passed the water test...

Chris

'
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:28 pm

Onajourney wrote:Hey John- I find myself coming back and referencing your amazing build. I am framing up the roof and have a question regarding the window. My plan is to frame the opening around 1.5 larger than the window. Then make a 1.5 insert template to router cut both ceiling and roof, Then uninstall the template to install trimlok and glass. Is that similar to what you did? I guess yours passed the water test...

Hi Chris..... I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. I can go out and look at the trailer in the morning (and maybe look at the CAD)... but are you asking about how I made the opening for the window? Just want to make sure I understand what you're asking so I don't pass on wrong info. I did make the window a bit larger than the opening, but you have to base your window size once you figure out what gasket you're using. So the window actually sits slightly proud of the opening within the gasket.

Regarding the "water test".... I did have a few areas where water was making its way in. I had gotten some butyl caulk (which, from my understanding, is really the only caulk that will work with the EDPM gasket material).... and kind of worked the caulk into the seam between the acrylic and gasket. I did this in a few spots and it seems to have resolved the issue. My original plan was to lay a bead of the butyl caulk in the gasket before I inserted the window.... which may have been a good idea, however that stuff is so gooey and sticky it's really tough to work with and probably would have made a frustrating mess.

EDIT: Attached is a picture of the gasket I used. You'll notice where the glass is placed kind of overlaps the space where the gasket fits onto the vehicle, thus allowing the glass to be actually a bit larger than the opening in the vehicle. When you're driving down the highway you don't want the gasket rolling and the glass rolling into the opening and kind of collapsing..... making the glass larger than the opening (hopefully) would prevent this.

John
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.58.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 5.58.23 PM.png (265.86 KiB) Viewed 599 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:00 am

Thanks John. I have been worrying about possible leaks. The butyl chalk definitely sounds like the way to go especially where the ends meet. I figured out how to cut the roof and ceiling. I was overthinking it,
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:03 am

If it's any help (and for what it's worth) once I had the 2 walls up I then installed the inner sheet (the ceiling). Then framed everything out (see attached image), then used the framing as the router guide to cut out the opening for the window. For the outer wall piece (the roof) I remember cutting the window opening out prior to installing it... and using some registration marks, then installed that in place. You may decide on another way to do it.... but that's how I did it.
Your build is looking good. Chassis frame looks great.......

John
Attachments
sidewall-ceiling%20setup_10.13.21.jpg
sidewall-ceiling%20setup_10.13.21.jpg (241.14 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals