CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby Onajourney » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:16 pm

"How did I know my wife was lightly snoring if I was soundly asleep? I just know." That one of the sweetest things I ever read. Now how about a walk-around video?
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby rjgimp » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:35 pm

Capebuild wrote:

How did I know my wife was lightly snoring if I was soundly asleep? I just know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:applause:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 am

Yesterday I received my Partner Stove. Fits nicely in its space.... at least I first thought until I pulled it out on the sliding tray and tried opening the lid. I didn't account for the extra 1/2 inch or so required when the lids opens as it swings out over the back side of the stove's housing. Winds up contacting the galley wall. May have mount it on another set of sliders so when it's pulled out you then pull toward you a 1/2 inch or so... or something. Have to ponder this a bit.

Otherwise, a really beautiful piece of equipment. Well made, nicely constructed and substantial.
Can't wait to try it out.
Attachments
retracted.jpg
retracted.jpg (249.23 KiB) Viewed 634 times
stove.jpg
stove.jpg (268.96 KiB) Viewed 634 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:23 am

Yes, over travel slides should fix you up.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:29 am

Capebuild wrote:Yesterday I received my Partner Stove. Fits nicely in its space.... at least I first thought until I pulled it out on the sliding tray and tried opening the lid. I didn't account for the extra 1/2 inch or so required when the lids opens as it swings out over the back side of the stove's housing. Winds up contacting the galley wall. May have mount it on another set of sliders so when it's pulled out you then pull toward you a 1/2 inch or so... or something. Have to ponder this a bit.

Otherwise, a really beautiful piece of equipment. Well made, nicely constructed and substantial.
Can't wait to try it out.

Doh! Always something! Yes, I think I'd go with the over-travel slides; let it pull out past the wall.

Also, be aware the stove takes a little while to cool. There is a lot of mass in the grates.

(I still owe you a picture of the quick-connect on the hose. Will take it ASAP once things dry out this morning.)

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby friz » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:30 am

You might find that you want to cook on a separate table and leave your galley space for prep. That's what I found. Also, if there is a mishap with the stove, it is away from your camper.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:32 am

friz wrote:You might find that you want to cook on a separate table and leave your galley space for prep. That's what I found. Also, if there is a mishap with the stove, it is away from your camper.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Yes, there is that too. That's actually what we do.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TallGuy7 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:52 am

This is how we solved the problem.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
TallGuy7
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:06 am

Sounds extra familar...

This is what I wrote about the issue on page 165...

Part of the challenge with this installation was the stove’s placement on the platform. If I mounted it flush with the counter, the windscreen wouldn’t clear the galley wall. If I mounted it too far out, the hatch gusset would hit it. The distance I settled on was 1-1/4” from the edge of the countertop.

:frightened: But it sure works great. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 am

Thanks for the comments.

I was just out looking at it.... I (think) I've got an "easy" solution. If I allow the sliding platform (the stove will be fixed to) to pull out another inch and
a half, that will allow the stove cover to clear the galley wall.... so it's just a matter of milling out the travel slots a bit more. The wind screens open fine....
all should be good. Hopefully.
:thinking:

This trailer building always seems to be a "work in progress". We'll see how it goes with having the stove where it is. Once we start using it (and using the galley for some "serious" meal prep) we'll be able to better to determine if this original plan of where the stove lives will work for us......or not.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:59 am

John, the placement of the stove for me determines the layout of the galley.
You might consider placing a barrel bolt to hold it in place while cooking.
I have a receiving hole drilled in the side wall for the bolt in the open and closed position.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:06 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:John, the placement of the stove for me determines the layout of the galley.
You might consider placing a barrel bolt to hold it in place while cooking.
I have a receiving hole drilled in the side wall for the bolt in the open and closed position.
Danny

Good suggestion, thanks, Danny.

and Tony, believe me, I've got a number of pictures in my folders of your galley set up. I referred to them when figuring the stove set up.

and... Friz and Tom, as a fall back position, I have considered being able to set up a table on the outside of the galley for stove placement and use.

After a few times trips and stove use I (we) should have a good idea of how our current set up should wind up working for us.

Thanks again.
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:05 pm

John, you’re in the club!
Garth and I ran into the same problem. For now I hold mine in place with Velcro for travel then shift on the shelf for use. Holding out for a Partner stove before trying to find a permanent solution.

western traveler wrote:
When I was initially laying things out using Tony’s book as a guide I bet I slid my stove into the space a dozen times to make sure it would fit. I really like this stove! Yep, but I never once opened the lid while doing it. I will figure out a way to temporarily fasten it to the slide while traveling then move it into position when using it. Maybe Velcro or just order a Partner stove. Perhaps with the amount of back orders they have I will be able to slip it into the budget by then.

western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:33 am

I had planned on a tongue box for the front of the trailer. I found the available boxes were way too large for what I was looking for so I fabricated one from HDPE.
I wasn't planning on carrying much in it but it did need to hold a 5 gallon bucket we had planned on using as an emergency porta-potty. So my design dimensions were
kind of built around that. But basically holds the bucket, 4 chock blocks and the shore power cord. There's still room for other stuff but I'll see what the tongue weight
winds up being once we get our bikes hanging off the back. I was going to get black material but figured there would be less heat build up on the interior of the box
with white HDPE. Didn't want to create an oven in there in case the bucket contained "ingredients".
:roll:

John
Attachments
box.jpg
box.jpg (328.78 KiB) Viewed 420 times
box open.jpg
box open.jpg (261.34 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:26 am

Nice!

We bought a Clearwater toilet. I have yet to sit on it but that will happen this week. I'm excited about it since it takes up much less room than our old bucket toilet.

Ask me about Friday what I think...

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals