CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby noseoil » Sat May 21, 2022 8:42 am

John, this is beautiful, can't wait to see it rolling!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue May 24, 2022 8:26 pm

Tim (Noseoil) and Shadow Catcher, thanks so much for your nice comments. Appreciate hearing that!

WELL.... BIG DAY TODAY!!

Fired up the grill-oven and tackled the front window. Picts attached. I found the form (the buck) had been affected by
the moisture sitting in the garage since I had built it in February. There was a bunch of unevenness. Went back to belt sanding some high spots and then covered the whole thing in aluminum to kind of even everything out. The oven worked well. Probably could have left the acrylic in the oven a bit longer...
the heat could have been a bit more evenly distributed. We (my wife and I) turned the acrylic once in the oven 180° to try and get the heat to affect all the surfaces evenly.....
but worked well. The hardest part was trimming the acrylic to be the correct size to fit the gasket. Put it in place and pulled it out 3 or 4 times, removing a bit of material each time.
I certainly didn't want to trim it too small. It still seemed to be oversized a bit.... but went ahead and imbedded the locking gasket and all kind of snapped into place. Satisfaction! :)
Very happy to have this part done.

John
Attachments
buck.jpg
buck.jpg (283.49 KiB) Viewed 502 times
acrylic rough.jpg
acrylic rough.jpg (525.96 KiB) Viewed 502 times
window installed-5.24.22.jpg
window installed-5.24.22.jpg (532.01 KiB) Viewed 502 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Tue May 24, 2022 8:31 pm

The window looks awesome John.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:53 pm

John, absolutely beautiful job on your teardrop.. and that front window is just unbelievable.. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
The time and workmanship that you have put into this build set a new standard of building teardrops on this forum..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Tue May 24, 2022 10:15 pm

That curved window is so awesome!!! I have never seen it done like this, but you did it. Congratulations John!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue May 24, 2022 11:14 pm

Great job John! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed May 25, 2022 5:02 am

Thanks so much for the encouraging comments, Jasen, Tom, Lauren and David. Nice and I appreciate them.
That window was a big challenge and ever since designing the trailer that was really my main concern on how to do it.
So really glad to now have that in the rear view mirror. Now I need to figure out what to do with that grill-oven. If anyone wants to
bend some acrylic, it's yours.
:)

I think I'm at the point where I can call the state police and apply for a VIN#. And get insurance..... and look to register it.
It's been just about a year since I started the building part..... almost done! (or as is said, "campable")..........

Thanks again!!

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu May 26, 2022 12:51 pm

This morning hitched up the trailer and took it out on the road for its maiden voyage to the town dump where they have a scale. First weighed the car and the trailer and then just the car and subtracted the difference. Trailer (dry weight plus the Dometic fridge) came in at 1,760 pounds. So a little over than what I would have liked (was hoping for 1600 #s). So be it. When we returned I weighed the tongue weight and that came in at 207 pounds. So around 12% of the total dry weight. I figure with our bikes on the back and the future tongue box of some sort loaded with all its stuff.... we should be okay, weight wise.

Drove nice and nice to have brakes on the trailer.

John
Attachments
IMG_6847 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6847 Medium.jpeg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:39 pm

Capebuild wrote:5.26.22

This morning hitched up the trailer and took it out on the road for its maiden voyage to the town dump where they have a scale. First weighed the car and the trailer and then just the car and subtracted the difference. Trailer (dry weight plus the Dometic fridge) came in at 1,760 pounds. So a little over than what I would have liked (was hoping for 1600 #s). So be it. When we returned I weighed the tongue weight and that came in at 207 pounds. So around 12% of the total dry weight. I figure with our bikes on the back and the future tongue box of some sort loaded with all its stuff.... we should be okay, weight wise.

Drove nice and nice to have brakes on the trailer.

John

John, great looking duo you have there. You'll be giving all kinds of tours, and the questions. Oh gheeeesh, Where'd you buy that? How did you do that? Do you make them to sell?
A work of art it definitely is.. You should do a book.. :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Be safe always, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Thu May 26, 2022 3:50 pm

WOW! Incredibly fantastic John!!!

Did you use the spacing guide from TrimLok for the acrylic cut size?

Have you water tested it?

Brother..You are done. Congratulations on an amazing build. You got to do a walk around video. As someone here said, you are going to get stopped everywhere you go with this and asked all kinds of questions.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu May 26, 2022 4:45 pm

:applause: CONGRATULATIONS! :applause: :P

It's beautiful and more than road-worthy!

Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GarthB » Thu May 26, 2022 5:07 pm

Every time I read one of your updates I feel the inspiration to start another build due to your many great ideas and excellent craftsmanship.

Excellent work John! I hope you have a great time making use of it this summer!
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Thu May 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Geeezz.... thank you so much for your encouraging comments, David, Sharon, Onajourney and Garth. Very nice of you all to say this. Appreciated!!!

This forum has been so encouraging and helpful. I can't imagine taking on a project like this without the helpful sharing of experiences others have had building these trailers.

I've got a long punch list of areas I need to go back to and rethink, revise, fix and otherwise, make better. With that said, we are hoping to take the trailer out camping sometime soon. I've been talking with my insurance agent to get coverage and they start the ball rolling with application paperwork for the DMV as far as registration, VIN, title and all that good stuff.

Onajourney, I'm not sure of your question about Trimlok's "spacing guide". I installed the gasket and cut the acrylic to the size I measured it should be. I installed it ....and took it out,.... trimmed it a bit more and reinstalled .... repeating this a few times. Kind of 'gingerly' sneaking up on the finished size that I eventually settled on. Also, no, I have not yet water tested it. On my punch list are a bunch of seals I yet have to finalize. The hatch needs to be adjusted. I'm probably going to have to unscrew the hurricane hinge and put a shim under it (like maybe 1/8" to 3/16"). The hatch fits nice on the top of the curve but there's a bit of space between molding and seal as it works its way down to the bottom. I think a spacer at the hurricane hinge (raising the hatch up slightly) might solve this.

Garth, I remember the troubles you had with your finishing with the Monstaliner and I did appreciate your persistence with getting satisfaction and getting it work "right'...... so inspiration there. Thanks.

Thank you all again for the nice comments.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Indiana Rambler » Fri May 27, 2022 7:53 am

Wow! That looks great! Bet you feel relieved that it’s ready to use very soon! You’ve put a lot of time, effort, and forward thinking in that camper! I’m in awe my friend! Great job! Looking forward to pics in the wild soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indiana Rambler
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 27, 2022 8:15 am

Great job John! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals