CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:10 am

Looking great John! :thumbsup:

Happy New Year!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:40 pm

swoody126 wrote:John, i sure have been/am enjoying sitting out in the peanut gallery watching your talents come together to create your little trailer

very little is impossible when one puts his/her mind to IT ... whatever IT is

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON

sw
Tom&Shelly wrote:Looking great John!

Happy New Year!

Tom

Thanks a lot swoody and Tom. Great to hear. Thank you! Appreciate it.
Happy New Year's to you both and well as everyone else on this forum!!!
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:13 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Any experienced writers/publishers here who want to take the lead on this? ;)

A book is a lotta work... maybe 3x that of building a teardrop. It would be especially challenging to pull several builders together on something like this.

I've got two books in the mill at the moment –-one true crime and another nonfiction-- so I'll step aside on this idea.

:frightened:

But it is a good idea.

Tony

Tony, glad to hear you have a couple more books coming! I just finished “5 fingers” and also read one of your non-ficton. Really enjoyed! You are a very good writer. Highly recommended. :wine:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:35 pm

You are a very good writer.

Thanks for the plug... :thumbs-up:

Here's a precursor for the next Charley Cove story:

This was not a good room. It was a room of lies. It was a place that smelled of sweat and sometimes urine. A room that Cove used many times. But he’d always put his subjects in the chair that he was now sitting in. It was the chair farthest from the door. He put them in the chair to make them feel confined and locked in. Sometimes he handcuffed them to the U-shaped bar. Sometimes he unlocked the cuffs. Sometimes he offered them a Pepsi or coffee. Sometimes they cried. Sometimes they told the truth.

:frightened: :oops:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:02 pm

Started insulating the hatch but only doing a little at a time (the cold weather is getting the better of me).

So, just to keep things moving along, been working in the shop on preparing the parts for molding. First up will be the rubber like housing for the 2 tail lights and the bezel for the T hatch handle.
The mold for the tail light housing is a bit more complicated than the handle bezel as you'll see. There were 3 little protrusions sticking out from the bottom of the housing and I didn't want
to create undercuts in the mold and have to wrestle the castings out from the mold. But I started with claying up the pattern to the parting line.

clay up.jpg
clay up.jpg (542.39 KiB) Viewed 414 times

This will be a 2 piece mold so this is preparation for the first pour. It's good to have keys of some sort to kind of the lock the two mold halves together, or at least line them up correctly when you go to pour a casting. For this mold some half rounds will do. Sometimes you can just cut the keys in the corners after the first half is poured. Sometimes you can insert balls into the clay, pushing them down to their tangent point.

keys.jpg
keys.jpg (358.98 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Then a box is built around the part. After applying some mold release, the first pour will occur. The material I'm using (a urethane with a 70 shore A durometer), will take 16 hours to cure. Will do that tomorrow, unless I get a burst of energy this evening.

After the urethane cures, the box is broken down, all the clay is removed, vents are added to the pattern, and the 2nd half is poured.

John

ready to pour.jpg
ready to pour.jpg (348.05 KiB) Viewed 414 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:21 pm

This is great to see! Can't wait for more! :applause: :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:10 pm

This will be a 2 piece mold...

You've got my attention. Fully. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:59 pm

Awesome to see you making such great progress John! Your craftiness and attention to detail is inspiring.
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:00 pm

Thank you Garth, Tony and Featherlite for the comments.

Most of the insulation for the hatch is complete. I'll have to wait to remove the 2 stabilizing support strips to install the 4 corner insulation pieces. Then need to sand down some high spots before I can install the interior ply. I suppose that will be up next, if the temps stay like today (but not looking too positive on that).

hatch insulation.jpg
hatch insulation.jpg (415.87 KiB) Viewed 372 times

Additionally, just finished pouring the first half of the 2 molds I'm working on for the taillights and the hatch T handle. A light misting of mold release is applied.
This particular urethane can be measured out 100 parts A to 50 parts B.... they say you can do it by eye, but I like to weigh it.
This will take 16 hours to cure, then the other sides of the molds can be prepared and poured.

For anyone interested in molding and casting I can't recommend enough the company Smooth-On. I've used their products since the early 80's. They have tons of videos on their website about making molds and castings. They have great documentation and I've always found their company culture to be very helpful to many industries. This is NOT a paid endorsement. I just like them.

pour 1.jpg
pour 1.jpg (516.65 KiB) Viewed 372 times

poured.jpg
poured.jpg (443.06 KiB) Viewed 372 times

Thanks.
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:40 am

Just a follow up. The first pour of urethane cured overnight and I just set up and completed the second pour.

You can see the containing box is broken down and the clay removed, exposing the pattern that will get enveloped with the second pour, creating the "2 piece mold".
On the smaller mold I cut the keys in the corner with an x-acto knife so the 2 mold halves line up correctly.

The white posts will create vents. The larger posts in each of the molds will create sprue openings where the casting material will be injected (with a large syringe).
Another 16 hours now for the 2nd pour to cure.

John
Attachments
unboxed.jpg
unboxed.jpg (486.11 KiB) Viewed 350 times
sprues and vents.jpg
sprues and vents.jpg (470.85 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:44 pm

bringing back rememberies of college days when we did all this w/ sand and aluminium in metals courses

though the mediums have changed for this thread the processes are the same

THANKS FOR THE REMEMBERIES

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:43 pm

swoody126 wrote:though the mediums have changed for this thread the processes are the same

Yes.... there are certain aspects of molding and casting that have not changed much since, well.... probably the Greeks / Egyptians or the Bronze Age.
The materials have technically advanced quite a bit. The college days...... hmmm... .I remember them.... and learned a lot there..... some things have stayed with me for quite a while now
Although I've never poured aluminum as you REMEMBERIES. You must be an engineer. :)

Completed the molds and poured the first castings. They'll take 16 hours to cure and tomorrow I'll de-mold and see how they came out. Success is not always a guaranteed thing...... short shots or air bubbles can mess things up. The vent holes can help with keeping the air bubbles to a minimum. Same with the pressure pot keeping the air bubbles to a minimum, but again, not a guaranteed thing.
John
Attachments
finished molds halves.jpg
finished molds halves.jpg (480.25 KiB) Viewed 315 times
filled molds.jpg
filled molds.jpg (787.2 KiB) Viewed 315 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Wow John! You are taking this build to a new level. Very impressive to say the least.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:47 pm

" You must be an engineer. :)

nope justa lowly old retired'd middle school general chop teacher

jack of many master of nun

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 am

Completed the molds and poured the first castings.

Quite the process. Thanks for sharing this.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals