CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby Onajourney » Tue May 10, 2022 3:24 pm

WOW! It is really looking spectacular. I hope you are doing what I am....throwing out all receipts. LOL
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Fri May 13, 2022 4:24 am

Onajourney wrote:WOW! It is really looking spectacular. I hope you are doing what I am....throwing out all receipts. LOL

Thanks! I don't throw out the receipts :cry:

Took a break from working on the doors and finished up the front bump out... installing the trim and black vinyl insert.
Will go back onto the pop open windows today.

John
Attachments
FRONT 1.jpg
FRONT 1.jpg (243.21 KiB) Viewed 547 times
FRONT 2.jpg
FRONT 2.jpg (218.51 KiB) Viewed 547 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sun May 15, 2022 10:14 am

A month or so ago in another thread I had posted a photo of an experiment to try and bend aluminum trim molding to finish off an indent I had created around where the axle was to go. If I had to do it all over again I would have not created that indent and just run the side board straight across. At any rate from that experimenting with a jig I made up I finally got to put it to the real test. Finishing up with the trim around the wheels will now let me install the fenders (some point soon).... but below are some photos of how the aluminum bending went.
John
Attachments
indent bend 1.jpg
indent bend 1.jpg (511.69 KiB) Viewed 512 times
indent bend 2.jpg
indent bend 2.jpg (515.03 KiB) Viewed 512 times
indent bend 3.jpg
indent bend 3.jpg (351.99 KiB) Viewed 512 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:05 am

John, that looks great. :thumbsup: Didn't expect anything less from you.
Was time consuming for you for sure. But the end product is well worth it. :applause:
I'm still waiting for the bending of the front window. ;)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 15, 2022 6:05 pm

Your teardrop is really looking great! Love the shape and the attention to detail. You're going to enjoy this for years to come! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby JasenC » Sun May 15, 2022 6:45 pm

Nicely done on the metal forming John :thumbsup:
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:16 pm

That metal bending jig may be the coolest and most innovative thing I have seen on this forum. Mucho Kudos!!!! :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Wed May 18, 2022 5:37 am

Thank you Featherlite, Jasen, Sharon and Staryder for your comments. Bending that trim was not all that difficult. The difficult part was actually installing it and getting the driver drill into the small space in the axle area to drive the screws.

Some photos attached of the 2 pop open windows. They are fitted with bug screens. They will need some tweaking. The hole where the pusher post passes through is cut too low, making the fixed point where the post attaches to the window too low....... which is all causing the black part of the pusher post to rub on the bulb seal. Left this way that bulb seal will wear down and rip. I'll need to move the openings up about 1/8 inch.... but I'll save that for later.

Going to put the fenders on today and try and finish up the doors and get those installed (at some point soon). Then, just the big front window......

John
Attachments
window exterior.jpg
window exterior.jpg (426.99 KiB) Viewed 409 times
window interior.jpg
window interior.jpg (608.46 KiB) Viewed 409 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed May 18, 2022 9:51 am

Then, just the big front window......

Just... Your journal is like a well-written murder mystery. It leaves us on the edge.

Hey, great job on the windows. I'm impressed.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed May 18, 2022 10:31 am

The windows look exceptional! Did you make all that holding hardware yourself or purchased it?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed May 18, 2022 4:51 pm

Capebuild wrote:. Just... Your journal is like a well-written murder mystery. It leaves us on the edge.
Hey, great job on the windows. I'm impressed.
Tony

Thanks Tony! Building a teardrop is like a mystery to me :o
Every day something new and sometimes you don't quite know where it's going to lead you. "I think it was Professor Hex Bolt in the galley that caused that split.... hmmmm"..........But Thanks!!

OP827 wrote:Did you make all that holding hardware yourself or purchased it?

Thanks for your comments, OP827. The "window hardware" I made, molded the hinges in a hard (low durometer) urethane. The push posts I machined. If you are interested in the "molding process" I documented most of it in my build journal.... around page 14 it starts.

I don't usually tell stories on this site but I have one I'll share. I went to art school years ago and we had a painting teacher who taught this course "Oil Paints, Materials and Their Uses". The guy was about 100 years old, sort of bald with a long flowing white beard ... kind of looked like Mr. Natural....and dressed like a pile of undone laundry. He would tell us be careful when using the oil paint color Prussian Blue. It was such a potent and kind of acidic color. It gets everywhere. He went on to emphasize its transference possibilities like if you got a drop on your clothes and then get on the bus, before you know it everyone on the bus would have a touch of it on their clothes, face and hair.
WELL..... Proflex RV kind of reminds me of Prussian Blue. Whenever I'm working on the trailer, I'll be focussing on this small area for something..... and there it is, a schmere of Proflex!! How did it get there? There's no attached parts in the area, but there's that Proflex. It's everywhere. :(
I think I'll need to take a few days when the trailer reaches a certain point and just go around with a paint thinner soaked rag a do a bit of tidying up.

Anyway.... got one fender on today. I need to wait for more fender welting to show up. The stuff I ordered had enough to one fender but not two. My miscalculation.
Attachments
IMG_6778 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6778 Medium.jpeg (137.61 KiB) Viewed 344 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 18, 2022 4:54 pm

Wow! :o
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 18, 2022 7:04 pm

"She's a poser!" And that in no way is meant in a derogatory sense.

Back in the day when my buddies and I would shine up our hot rods and go to the cruise-ins we'd be proud of our efforts and earnestly make the same claim. "She's a poser!" :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri May 20, 2022 6:53 pm

Thanks KC and Sharon. (I think I know what a poser is :)..... or at least I should).....but thank you again.

Got one door installed today. I had forgotten I added some wood backing in the interior in back of where the hinge's screws would wind up, to add more meat to hold the screws. And.... at last minute I moved the top hinge (off plan) making it lower.... so forgetting about that extra meat, missed the mark on the one. Moved the bottom hinge up a bit,(also off plan).... so missed the "meat area" there, as well. duh......
Also got some reflectors installed. That was fun.

John
Attachments
IMG_6783.jpg
IMG_6783.jpg (141.47 KiB) Viewed 284 times
IMG_6786.jpg
IMG_6786.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 284 times
IMG_6788.jpg
IMG_6788.jpg (141.73 KiB) Viewed 284 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Impressive build and attention to detail.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals