CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby orourkmw » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:39 pm

John:
I just read through your whole journal. Previously I had dropped in and out on various searches. I have to add my compliments to all the others…what you are achieving is incredible. If I had read your complete journal earlier, you might have single-handedly inspired me to….not even try! Because there is no way I could match what you’re doing. But then I remember a motto a friend and I used to have: “with study, the right tools, and perseverance, we can accomplish anything”. Seriously, thank you for the inspiration. And kudos to your outstanding work.
Mike :beer:
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:32 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Gee John, you should shop at Home Depot: all of their plywood is curved!

That gave me a laugh, Tom

Thanks so much Tom, Tim and Mike for the nice comments. I do appreciate hearing it.... well, reading that.

Still need to make one more sliding drawer shelf for the water container. I was thinking we could get by without a sliding shelf.....just lift the jug and slide into place,
but without a sliding platform, dragging that 77 pound filled jug back and forth along the floor might get old.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Capebuild wrote:...dragging that 77 pound filled jug back and forth along the floor might get old.

John

We opted for two 2.5 gallon jugs for reasons of weight. Made refilling at campsites much more pleasant.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:12 am

dragging that 77 pound filled jug back and forth along the floor might get old.

It's easy. No issues with it. In fact, I put 3M anti-skid stair strips underneath it to ensure it doesn't slide back and hit the hatch. It also prevents the epoxy on the floor from getting scratched up. (And yes, Tom's assessment of the weight to and from the camper is of course correct. Mass is mass.)

I suggest, if you haven't already tried it, fill the jug and slide it back and forth before you build a slider.

That jug works so well, I'm surprised I don't see that "system" (if you can call something so simple a system) used more often. I can't recall who on this forum modified their Hunter for a Reliance jug, but I saw it back in 2004 on this forum and have mimicked it ever since.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:44 am

tony.latham wrote: In fact, I put 3M anti-skid stair strips underneath it to ensure it doesn't slide back and hit the hatch.

I do remember seeing those anti skid strips you had under your water jug. What I think I might do is....... I've got a strip of 3/16 aluminum that spans the width of the hatch floor. I'm thinking of taking some of that same material and put two strips on the floor in the cubby where the water jug goes (so those two strips are now on the same plane as the floor strip. And put a piece of the anti skid strip on each of those aluminum strips. I bet the material the water jug is made of would allow for easy sliding. Either way, with or without a sliding drawer you'd still have to lift the filled jug (which would be 77 pounds). I'll have to see how much sliding around it does...... as slamming into the hatch door would probably be problematic (especially with the way I drive).........
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:13 pm

Fill it up. Play around with it.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:24 pm

tony.latham wrote:
dragging that 77 pound filled jug back and forth along the floor might get old.

It's easy. No issues with it. In fact, I put 3M anti-skid stair strips underneath it to ensure it doesn't slide back and hit the hatch. It also prevents the epoxy on the floor from getting scratched up. (And yes, Tom's assessment of the weight to and from the camper is of course correct. Mass is mass.)

I suggest, if you haven't already tried it, fill the jug and slide it back and forth before you build a slider.

That jug works so well, I'm surprised I don't see that "system" (if you can call something so simple a system) used more often. I can't recall who on this forum modified their Hunter for a Reliance jug, but I saw it back in 2004 on this forum and have mimicked it ever since.

Tony

I questioned the large Reliance jug, it’s weight and location and looked at other options. Finally decided “what the heck I trusted Tony this far” :thinking: so I ended up buying a new jug the same size as my old one. Was surprised to find they had redesigned the spicket and no drips so far. I have had no issues at all with its use and find it super convenient to fill pots, dish pan etc. I have rubber nonskid under it and that has worked well. As to the weight, it is easy to forget I am towing my TD sometimes so I feel a non issue for me.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:17 am

I knew this day would come........we had the inspectors show up to have a look at our build.
Attachments
IMG_6330.jpeg
IMG_6330.jpeg (267.77 KiB) Viewed 316 times
IMG_6364.jpg
IMG_6364.jpg (265.2 KiB) Viewed 316 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:31 am

Capebuild wrote:I knew this day would come........we had the inspectors show up to have a look at our build.

ROFL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:11 am

By the way, I still can't stop staring at your curved-front drawers. I think they'll be problematic.

When you camp, you're supposed to follow Rule #1: Always stare into the fire, not at your craftsmanship.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:59 pm

Haha Tony. Good point. I'm "almost" viewing John's teardrop like I did a Cedar strip canoe I help build once. As we finished the build I stood back and said to the owner... "You're not really going to put that in the river are you? Just build a frame around it and make it into a coffee table!" :R
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:22 pm

"You're not really going to put that in the river are you? Just build a frame around it and make it into a coffee table!"

Exactly.

I built a stripper canoe a million years ago.

I need to put a scratch into this summer. :thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:35 pm

Looks like your chooks are as nosey as ours. Did you find any eggs after the inspection?
Look like silver lace wyandottes?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Capebuild » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:22 am

:)
Nice, Tom, Tim and Tony. Thanks! And REALLY nice canoe you built there, Tony. Love the colored wood strip tones.

MickinOz wrote:Looks like your chooks are as nosey as ours. Did you find any eggs after the inspection?
Look like silver lace wyandottes?

Had to look up "chooks"... not familiar with that term. So, no eggs. In fact my hens are old. Like the oldest are 9 or so years. They slow down laying
at that age and the winters here don't help with egg production. We, sadly, probably won't get any eggs now until spring. We have araucanas (lay blue eggs), black stars and barred rocks. Usually, once a year, I'll get 30 or so "meat" birds. I keep them separate from my (pet) laying birds. The meat birds ("Freedom Rangers" they're called) are fast growing and they get "harvested" around 11 weeks. Very sweet birds.... and tasty. No comparison to the stuff called "chicken" you'd purchase in the supermarket.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:43 am

We have 9 hens at present. They are a mixture, mostly cross breeds that don't all lay each day. We get between 3 and 6 eggs per day. Its enough eggs that I smoked a dozen in the hot smoker on Sunday. Very tasty.
I used to cull a few roosters for meat, but we've not hatched any for a while. The city council got on our case about our rooster, and we had to get rid o him. So no fertilised eggs now.
The dog was devastated, he and the rooster were best friends. Fortunately, I was able to give him to a farmer, didn't have to chop his head off.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals