CapeBuild Build Journal

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CapeBuild Build Journal

Postby Onajourney » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:34 am

I am kind of doing what you did. I am framing the window opening on top of the 1/8 BB ceiling. Then building a 1.5 temporary frame with inside the framed opening with 4" corner radius (trimlok recommend no smaller than 3.75 for the 1536 trim). Then I will route out ceiling and leaving the 1.5" spacer in till after I get ceiling on and skinned. Then I can route the ceiling out , remove the spacer to install the window. This is all because the trimlock sits about .5 over the glass and roof. So when it's all done, I will have a ~1" clear gap around the window opening where I plan on making some sort retractable of window shade. The window should be easy. It needs to be .375" smaller than the opening per Trimlok. This all sounds more complicated then it is. Sorry I don't have drawing if this doesn't make sense. Thanks again and I do hope your enjoying your trip!
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:14 pm

With our stove cantilevered out over the drawer below it.... I was concerned if we put a dutch oven on the stove there might wind up being a weight issue.... creating some unwanted flex and/or strain on the drawer slides.

I made a set of legs that slip into a couple of pieces of ABS and with some simple assembly the unit just slides in under the edge of the stove.... still allowing the utensil draw to open. Also made a couple of flex grips to hold the two legs during travel. They just snap into the holders and travel on inside of the hatch lid. We most likely won't always need the leg set-up....... but in case we do, it's available.
Attachments
IMG_7161 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7161 Medium.jpeg (114.2 KiB) Viewed 822 times
in place.jpg
in place.jpg (106.19 KiB) Viewed 822 times
supports.jpg
supports.jpg (155.07 KiB) Viewed 822 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:45 pm

A sign of a true engineer! Think past the original solution and think about "What could happen if...?"

A most excellent build and even better journal into how it was done and the reasoning about the direction you took. John, you get the Blue Ribbon vote for the most excellent adventure!

I hope your travels continue to tell the story of Capebuild.

:applause:
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:42 pm

Thank you Tim!! Falls into the category of "never leave well enough alone".

Trying to rectify and fine tune many last minute details before we leave for a long trip.
I believe it was you who sung the praises a year or so ago of the Camp-Out sponsored by CampInn. We are planning to stop by there as the timing works for us. If you are planning on going, hope we run into each other.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:43 am

Capebuild wrote:...
I believe it was you who sung the praises a year or so ago of the Camp-Out sponsored by CampInn. We are planning to stop by there as the timing works for us. If you are planning on going, hope we run into each other.

John

It is a great place to see a variety of home built trailers. From the very creative hacked together teardrops on a low budget to high end. My experience on three visits is they will mostly be Camp Inn & Vestibule with MANY tricked out with very cool accessories. Almost everyone is welcoming for questions and talking about their campers. The Meercat that shows up is pretty cool too. Yours will definitely stand out in the home built category.

I didn't have plans for the trip to the CampInn Campout, about four hours southwest for me. But you never know. I'm going to the Michigan Irishfest in Muskegon, MI the weekend before that. Staying at Hoffmaster SP just outside of Muskegon. Fun times. Right now I'm planning on going with my EV and an SUV "tent" I just purchased. The EV doesn't pull but I can get there for under a twenty dollar bill (not including bridge fare)! About three bucks in Escanaba and around $12 total at two more charging stops along the way.

Castle Rock Park Map

The CampInn CampOut center of activity is generally around sites 41, 42, 71 and 45. It is mostly wooded around the loops in that area and if there has been a lot of rain it remains wet for some time. I have always tried to grab site 37 or 38 as it is on a "Grassy Knoll" where my solar will recharge well (there are electric hook ups there as well). And don't be afraid to show up a day or two in advance as the park could fill up quickly if the weather is good.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:05 pm

Capebuild wrote:Thank you Tim!! Falls into the category of "never leave well enough alone".

Trying to rectify and fine tune many last minute details before we leave for a long trip.

John

Hey John, my wife and I are considering going to the Camp-Out as well! I’ll be sure to let you know when we decide if we can make it or not. I would love to cross paths and see your camper in person.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby mhnudi » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:08 am

This has been a great build log to go back through and review! Learned a lot going through all your images and other content. Really impressive trailer and workmanship that went into the various components like the windows and the folding interior components.
mhnudi
Teardrop Builder

Postby Capebuild » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:08 am

cjlangellier wrote:Hey John, my wife and I are considering going to the Camp-Out as well! I’ll be sure to let you know when we decide if we can make it or not. I would love to cross paths and see your camper in person.

That would be great, Cody, if you decide to go. I was hoping to meet some other TNTTT members. I've never even been inside of teardrop camper (other than my own) so we are looking forward to the gathering (meeting and greeting) and seeing other's rigs.

mhnudi wrote:This has been a great build log to go back through and review! Learned a lot going through all your images and other content. Really impressive trailer and workmanship that went into the various components like the windows and the folding interior components.

Thanks, mhnudi! This site and its members have been invaluable. It's a really great resource. There's always an answer for whatever problems occur (and I've certainly had my share). Good luck with your build. Looks like you're off to a great start. :thumbsup:

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:35 pm

Capebuild wrote:That would be great, Cody, if you decide to go. I was hoping to meet some other TNTTT members. I've never even been inside of teardrop camper (other than my own) so we are looking forward to the gathering (meeting and greeting) and seeing other's rigs.

John

Hey John, I did end up pre-registering for the Camp-Outt. Unfortunately my wife won't be able to make it but I'll be there. I should be setting up Friday evening around 7:00ish. Looking forward to seeing you guys there!
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:21 pm

Capebuild wrote:Hey John, I did end up pre-registering for the Camp-Outt.

Great, Cody.... I'll look forward to seeing you there. It'll be great to meet you and see your trailer. Looking forward to it.
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:31 am

Capebuild wrote:Just got back from the Registry. GOT MY PLATE AND READY TO GO CAMPING!!!

It was actually pretty easy. I called my insurance agent to insure it and she sent me the Title and Registration paperwork with the insurance stamp on it.
Took that to the registry with some pictures of the trailer. 5 minutes later I was done, registration, Vin# and plate in hand. (that 5 minutes doesn't include the wait time of 25 minutes). All in all.... went smoothly.

John

Do you mind sharing who your insurance company is? I can't find one that will cover home built camper trailers.

Chris
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:10 pm

Just my experience in NY....
:(
State farm told me they would cover replacement value of the materials used,
IF I'd change over all my insurance policies to them. It wasn't worth it to me.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eLink » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:23 pm

Hey John- Great job on your camper! I enjoyed catching up on your build journal!
Could you tell us a little more about what you did for the inside corner trim at the front bump out? It's hard to see from your photos, but it looks like standard aluminum angles. Did you do anything special for waterproofing those areas?
Can you upload a closeup of this area?
InsideCornerTrim.jpeg
InsideCornerTrim.jpeg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 479 times
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:12 am

eLink wrote:Hey John- Great job on your camper! I enjoyed catching up on your build journal!
Could you tell us a little more about what you did for the inside corner trim at the front bump out? It's hard to see from your photos, but it looks like standard aluminum angles. Did you do anything special for waterproofing those areas?
Can you upload a closeup of this area?

Hi eLink....... I've attached a few pics of the area you're asking about. If you need more shots, let me know. The aluminum used is "standard" stock, nothing exotic. The one piece that runs down the internal corner of the bump out was a piece of aluminum 90 degree corner stock and I sawed off most of the flange on one side leaving maybe 3/16" so it would bend around the curve but also provide a sealing surface for the return(to kind of seal up the exposed internal corner) -2nd photo. As far as the waterproofing, I covered the contacting surfaces with Proflex RV, predrilled the screw fastening points, filled the holes with Proflex prior to installing the screws. Hope that helps.
John
Attachments
IMG_9045 Medium.jpeg
IMG_9045 Medium.jpeg (66.02 KiB) Viewed 460 times
IMG_9041 Medium.jpeg
IMG_9041 Medium.jpeg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 460 times
IMG_9040 Medium.jpeg
IMG_9040 Medium.jpeg (62.32 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby eLink » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:07 am

Great!
Thank you!
eLink
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals