My Jeemper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: My Jeemper

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:05 pm

Each side is essentially built like an independent box, they are plenty sturdy. Then the front area is well braced to control the "wings". I think its probably fine, but it probably weighs 2x what it could if it were a normal design. Its got 2x the metal of a traditional frame.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:03 am

Rogheff wrote:
John61CT wrote:Sorry but there used to be an axle there.

If there were a big HEAVY spool suspended in that gap its "axle" would act as a crossmember as well.

But with both of those removed and any kind of weight

there will be lots of lateral torsion and flexion forces on each side independently.

Not saying on good flat roads and slow speed will (necessarily) be (that) dangerous, but very likely your upper wall / roof framing will get twisted a lot more than you think.

. . .

Also in dusty conditions, everything needs to be **really well** sealed up while driving

or you'll need to either live in filth or do a lot of cleaning every stop.

The original trailer is very much like this one:

The spool “axle” doesn’t look like it supports anything other than the spool. This trailer has had a bunch of metal cobbled all over the place, most which I have removed. There was nothing structurally solid connecting the sides. If it works for hauling wire spools through ditches, why wouldn’t it work for a camper? This might be a small 5x8’ camper, but the frame is NOT a Harbor Freight bolt together kit. The trailer frame itself must weigh 300-400 pounds. I had the timbren axles welded to the frame btw. Timbren suggests a cross piece but it isn’t to support the frame, it is to keep the axles in place in case you don’t weld them.

Rogheff, John is usually our resident Debbie Downer. He has a tendency to point out why he thinks something won't work. All comments can be helpful of course, but some can be taken with a grain (or ten) of salt.
:R
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Rogheff » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:03 am

Thanks for the comments. This camper isn’t in the design theory stage so the build continues. Today, the fenders go on. I am trying to figure out what to do for the door. The topper has a zip-on rear window just like my Jeep. Initially, I was going to use it as is, and add an actual door for the lower part. The topper folds forward, but I am not planning to use it as such so am considering building a door/window idea for the entire rear. The biggest issue with that rear window is closing it up at night from the inside.
Rogheff
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rogheff » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Today’s project..the fenders. I had the original fenders from the trailer which were in rough shape. I didn’t want to toss them, but couldn’t use them as they were. The solution? Bolt them to the internal frame, then cover them with diamond plate.

They turned out pretty good. I might even try my hand at some aluminum braising on the joints. The fenders sit a bit high, but there is a reason. I’m planning to add a fold-down table on each side. I’ll probably use some solid aluminum ramps, but you can get the idea from the ladder in the photos.
Rogheff
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:58 pm

This could be the most unique build I have ever seen. You obviously have decent fabrication skills and have a very creative mind. I will be watching this build with much anticipation. Everybody's comments are also intriguing. With the collective minds of this forum, who knows what this thing will look like when you are done. Keep going!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:16 am

FWIW. They are running underground cables in the neighborhood so there was a trailer like this that I could look at. That thing was very stoutly made. I wouldn't worry about a light weight camper on it.

The drop floor idea is intriguing. I'm thinking something like a canvas bag with a hard floor. Not sure how to connect the floor "bag" to the rest of the trailer and how to secure it in the up position. Having a truly "walk in" drop floor rather than having to step over a high sill would be a challenge.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rogheff » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:29 am

Pmullen503 wrote: I'm thinking something like a canvas bag with a hard floor. Not sure how to connect the floor "bag" to the rest of the trailer and how to secure it in the up position. Having a truly "walk in" drop floor rather than having to step over a high sill would be a challenge.

My floor concept has evolved over the last couple of months. I seriously considered a canvas bag type of a thing, but when the door closes and opens, I wouldn’t have a good seal. My current plan it to have walls made from marine grade plywood ( same as the upper floor) that extend down halfway down to the ground. The removable floor can lay on the ground so that I have something solid on which to stand. Perhaps with its own walls that will allow it to slide in upside down.

Here’s another design potential, since I am standing on the ground completely enclosed, why couldn’t I rig up a shower curtain and take a shower? The open area is roughly the size of my shower in the house. Yes, that complicates things, a muddy floor being one of them, But as long as I am dreaming up crazy ideas, why not go all out?
Rogheff
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rogheff » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:55 pm

I spent the day working on the Jeemper’s interior. I wanted to keep my center of gravity low, so built in storage bins into the upper floor. Essentially, the are like under bench storage.

While building the cubbies, I also had the opportunity to test some ideas on the removable section of floor. My latest thought is to use a thick piece of diamond plate with a frame below. I think that this will at the same time be reinstalled as the base for by bed. Basically, the removable floor would be in two pieces, both removed during the day, and the larger 3’ piece reinstalled for bedtime.

Rogheff
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:52 pm

If open during day - i.e. both removed - won't road dirt etc. coat stuff in trailer?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 pm

I'm really liking this build with all its new ideas. The point about road dust is a good one. A trip I take frequently involves the last 20 or so miles on dirt roads. I'll never forget to seal up the windows again after one particular trip....
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm

Somwhere along the way, maybe even on this site, I have seen a photograph of a very old Australian camper that is built pretty muchexactly like yours.
i.e. with the back door open, you walk down the middle just like yours.
It's going to work. As we say here in Oz, "She'll be right, mate."

Edit:
OK Not exactly like yours - but very similar concept as far as I can see;
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65836
Last edited by MickinOz on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:20 am

I reckon you ought to make a box that will slide up and down as a nice neat fit between the "wings" and get yourself some linear actuators.
The ones that don't need to be waterproof are really quite cheap.
You could press a button to wind the floor down to ground level and have a nice hard floor.
The sides of the box will be the walls that keep critters and dirt out.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Rogheff » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:47 am

QueticoBill wrote:If open during day - i.e. both removed - won't road dirt etc. coat stuff in trailer?

What I meant was removed at campsite. The floor will be fully installed while traveling.
Rogheff
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rogheff » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:00 am

MickinOz wrote:Somwhere along the way, maybe even on this site, I have seen a photograph of a very old Australian camper that is built pretty muchexactly like yours.
i.e. with the back door open, you walk down the middle just like yours.
It's going to work. As we say here in Oz, "She'll be right, mate."

Edit:
OK Not exactly like yours - but very similar concept as far as I can see;
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65836

Haha, nice to know that I am not the only crazy person out there. This is similar, but without the heavy door.
Rogheff
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:19 am

Rogheff wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:If open during day - i.e. both removed - won't road dirt etc. coat stuff in trailer?

What I meant was removed at campsite. The floor will be fully installed while traveling.

I see. It would need to be gasketed and snugged down to seal against water and dust. Not an easy matter, especially if there is any differential movement between the two sides.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals