A tiny trailer for 3

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Some more electrical

Postby green1 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:22 pm

So normally at camp with my electric car, I have a cord from the campsite post (ALWAYS a TT-30 here in Canada, I've never seen a NEMA 14-50 despite them theoretically being "the standard" for campsites) Running to a converter box, and then running to my charge cord for the car, then I have a separate extension cord from one of the 120v 15A plugs to a 12V power supply sitting on the ground under the trailer, and then a cord from that power supply to the 12V input on the tongue of the trailer.
In short, it's a mess! :shock:
I figured there just had to be a better way! so here it is!
On the outside of the trailer I have 2 ports, "in" and "out" These are both 30A 120V twistlock connectors. (male input, female output)
Inside the trailer I have some heavy duty wire between the 2, and then a smaller wire spiced off which goes to a power supply
This is a 12V 7A power supply mounted under the double bed, and behind the drawers in some waste space. Input comes from the ports on the side of the trailer, and output goes to a relay by the fuse panel at the front of the trailer. When plugged in to shore power, the relay activates and cuts off power from the vehicle connectors, and instead takes power from this supply to power the interior lights, USB outlets, fridge, and roof vent fan.

Now when I plug in at camp it's simply one cord from the post to the trailer "in" and one from trailer "out" through an adapter box, and to my car charger. Much cleaner looking, much simpler, and I don't have electronics sitting on the ground waiting to get wet.... :shock:
green1
Teardrop Builder

Re: A tiny trailer for 3

Postby green1 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:24 pm

KCStudly wrote:I like the hanging/sliding double wash tub/drawer solution. Is it rigid enough to take some weight... say your typical utensil drawer items... and not flex out of the tracks while bouncing down the road? If so, brilliant multi-tasking. :thumbsup:

It doesn't bounce out when travelling at all. The slides are metal.
When traveling we have dish cloths, towels, dish soap, and a pot scrubber in there, at camp we put most of our dirty dishes in there until we stop being lazy and actually wash them. :oops:
When traveling the utensils are in the main drawers.
green1
Teardrop Builder

Tada!

Postby green1 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:34 pm

Well, that's most of the build. Of course as anyone who's ever built anything knows, it's never done, and there's always more to do, but we've been enjoying it so far. Here are some pictures at camp!

ImageImageImageImage

So that's our little trailer, and the journey to get there. People often ask why I would do this instead of just buying something pre-made, and to that I always answer: "Show me a pre-made trailer that sleeps 3 people comfortably, weighs under 2000lbs, and costs under $20,000"
Plus, building this was FUN! :thumbsup:
green1
Teardrop Builder

Re: Tada!

Postby OP827 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:56 pm

green1 wrote: .... People often ask why I would do this instead of just buying something pre-made, and to that I always answer: "Show me a pre-made trailer that sleeps 3 people comfortably, weighs under 2000lbs, and costs under $20,000"
Plus, building this was FUN! :thumbsup:

Exactly, and well said! That is why I also built my trailer. Congrats on the build, great ideas and accomplishment! :applause:
OP827
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals