Now the fun starts

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Now the fun starts

Postby swoody126 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:27 am

OIP.W4XyLFMKl9JVjUyDOV0anwHaII.jpeg
OIP.W4XyLFMKl9JVjUyDOV0anwHaII.jpeg (4.6 KiB) Viewed 539 times

... very interesting ...

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:55 pm

MickinOz wrote:Do not use the word focaccia in the same sentence as OOK OOK when speaking to a Molfettese from my home town.

LMAO!!! So noted!
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:30 pm

When the days get shorter and the long winter evenings come, I will skim through my not very extensive Oz literature collection, and see if i can find that reference to hip whippy. Really only have the two sources - the old timer who used it back in the early 70's, and that one time I read it somewhere.

Back to the build.
Ran the trailer around to Mum's and stashed it out of the sun. The temperature has dropped below 30 C, so today I believe I may cut some ribs for the hatch.
People who followed my first build may remember that I had some warping at the rear, and I had to laminate some ribs together and affix them to the side wall to pull them straight. This has worked admirably, and after nearly 20 trips it's still straight.

I may be doing this again. Even with hardwood marine ply, the unsupported curves at the rear are not staying straight.
Tony Latham has written about how the unsupported walls of his first trailer had this issue. He noted that the galley bench is an important structural element tying the walls together. I agree, and I won't know for sure until I do that bit.
Even if I don't have to pull them straight, I will probably add the reinforcing anyway, it's a great way to provide a place for the seal when you are working with a wall that is a single thickness of plywood.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:27 am

Took off with Ol #1 for an overnight camp at Bowman Park RV park.
Had it to myself! No one else there. Hope they don't have CCTV. Since I was by myself, I didn't bother putting my pants on to make the coffee this morning. Just T-shirt and undies. :lol: It was dawn, there was no one there, and I fully intended to retreat back to bed to drink it.

Got back home mid-morning,
I've got a 400W Bosch router that has a 1/4" chuck, and the big mutha Makita with the 1500W (2HP) motor and 1/2" chuck.
I rigged up the compass for the big router and cut a rib with a nice smooth outer radius, and managed to make a rib good enough for a template, so I roughed out three more with the jigsaw. I'll screw the template to each one in turn and trim them all the same with the trimmer bit in the small router.

It may seem a strange fetish, but I do like a good set of ribs.
Compass 1.JPG
Compass 1.JPG (83.76 KiB) Viewed 470 times

Template plus roughed out ribs 1.JPG
Template plus roughed out ribs 1.JPG (41.75 KiB) Viewed 470 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:41 am

So yesterday was a little complicated.
Spent a couple hours in the morning making sawdust, then took off for the pub at lunchtime, intending to knock back a quick soda water whilst catching up friends. Unusually, my friends weren't there. But my favourite bartender was.

"Are you busy?" she asked.
"Flat out like a lizard drinking, why's that darlin' ?" says I.
"You know how when you buy a house, if it only has battery smoke alarms you are supposed to upgrade to hardwired ones?"
"Yesssss'" says I with a sinking feeling.
"Well Ian (boyfriend) was supposed to catch up with your son and find out what I need to do to get up to code. That was last year and he hasn't done it."
"Beginning to think you need a new boyfriend," says I.
"Yeah. Anyway, it's worrying me, if we have a fire I'd have no insurance. And I have no idea what's the right one to buy."
"I'll call the lad and see what he recommends," I said.

Long story short, my boy tells me what smoke alarms to buy (can get ones with long life lithium that aren't required to be hardwired and you can link them via wifi), and I take off for the wholesaler's with her credit card and my boy's permission buy them through the business. (She's been a good customer.)
Handed her back the credit card and two of the smoke alarms my boy recommended. DIY install just like the dodgy cheap ones from the supermarket, just hang them in the right place, but good for ten years and up to code.
So that killed two hours, but banked a dozen brownie points with my favourite bartender.

Then the lad came around to do some work on his trailer, more storage bins, big standalone battery pack and a fridge, first aid kit, etc.
Then while we were doing that, Goose turns up and says come over, Marcus (Electrical Trades lecturer at the local college) is coming over for Friday arvo drinks.
So a couple hours later, comfortably wrapped around a few bevvies, I rock home, to find a text message from my son.
Come up the shed for lamb on the barbie and a few drinks.
He needed a little time away from the girl friend last night, She's a sweetheart, but every now and then......
So I went up to the workshop, where I imbibed only zero alcohol beers. Still managed to be absolutely knackered when I got home at 2am.
Coulda been the three kilometre walk afte the extra long day, I suppose.

So, it is somewhat of a miracle that I had a surprisingly productive day today.
Have installed the rear shelf for the cabin, framed up for the galley bench, and started framing the rear end. I'm doing it the same way as Ol' #1.
I am tying the walls together with every element of the galley so they can't flop in and out, and reinforcing the curved section with the same sort of ribs I will use for the hatch. Using two ribs each side, off-setting one by 5mm to create a groove for the hatch seal to sit in.
Looking OK, I think.
Framing galley.JPG
Framing galley.JPG (88.3 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Speaking of fine looking arse ends, this was my view for much of the evening.
Aussies will know this is a very, very special and increasingly rare sight:
Monaro.JPG
Monaro.JPG (44.06 KiB) Viewed 433 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:49 pm

Upgraded our 9 volt battery operated smoke detectors with lithium ones a few years ago and haven't had the 3 am reminder to change the batteries since.

Only problem is the one in the kitchen was supposed to be specially made for the kitchen, but went off the first morning (my bacon wasn't that smokey!) Returned that one (Kiddie brand) to home Depot, but haven't found a suitable replacement yet. At least the bedrooms are protected.

Battery operated are supposed to be better since they'll work when the power goes out, but I think that'd take a pretty bad fire, and I suspect we'd know long before that happened.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:10 pm

Have a huge blow out in my neck of the woods coming up,
“Gambler 500”
I need to get cranking on a ultralight :thinking:
I think you would have a hoot.
Start one there ;)

As for the detectors need one in the camper :QM
Dual unit somewhere is a good idea for Carbon dioxide
My wired in ones had battery backup’s don’t miss hunting for the chirp and she changed them annually! :NC
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:02 pm

twisted lines wrote:Have a huge blow out in my neck of the woods coming up,
“Gambler 500”
Start one there ;)

Googled it. Looks like a hoot.

Believe it or not, apart from the Covid years, I've been going to something that reminds me of it.
At least, reading the "about" page it seems to have started the same way.
I have a 1981 500 Yamaha.
About 15 or so years ago, some guys in the Barossa got together on their TT500's and went for a Saturday arvo ride.
The TT XT 500 Muster is now an annual free event, They have a road ride, an off road ride and a access to a scramble track. It's all about dragging these old bikes out of the shed for a weekend of good clean free fun.
Hasn't evolved past a ride on the Saturday and Show 'n' Shine on the Sunday though.

Was watching a vid on the Gambler 500 website about dragging car bodies and tyres of of the desert.
We have a thing here called Cleanup Australia Day. Now I allegedly have free time in my retirement, I've been contemplating doing something similar at a local beach, where some fools have been dumping rubbish in the scrub behind the dunes.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:19 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Upgraded our 9 volt battery operated smoke detectors with lithium ones a few years ago and haven't had the 3 am reminder to change the batteries since.

Only problem is the one in the kitchen was supposed to be specially made for the kitchen, but went off the first morning (my bacon wasn't that smokey!) Returned that one (Kiddie brand) to home Depot, but haven't found a suitable replacement yet. At least the bedrooms are protected.

Battery operated are supposed to be better since they'll work when the power goes out, but I think that'd take a pretty bad fire, and I suspect we'd know long before that happened.

Tom

The authorities here don't like the 9 volt ones much. The cheapest ones have a radioactive source in the detector. They are better than nothing, in that as long as the owner keeps the batteries up to date they will let you know the place is on fire, but that's the problem, too.
So they brought in a rule that when a house changes hands the detectors must be upgraded.
These ones that my son recommended are really rather good and the wholesaler, who loves my son because a) he buys lots of materials from her and b) gave her son a job and pulled the lad out of a really bad situation by doing so, gave us a very good price.

They have photo electric detectors, can be wifi'd together so when the kitchen catches fire the alarm outside your bedroom goes off as and have the ten year battery that is the legal alternative to hard wired.
Dunno about detectors in the trailer, really think they are necessary?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:38 pm

Upgraded our 9 volt battery operated smoke detectors with lithium ones ...

Which?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:49 pm

“Gambler 500”
Start one there ;)

As for the detectors need one in the camper :QM
Dual unit somewhere is a good idea for Carbon dioxide
My wired in ones had battery backup’s don’t miss hunting for the chirp and she changed them annually! :NC

giggle UNCLE'S AROUND THE BEND RALLY

3 days in Big Bend N.P.

meeting in Terlingua

it's linked to TWO WHEELED TEXANS' members

its spring time rally (any later would be way too d..n hot)

it is advertised as a street only rally because there is no legal off roading out there

butt knot 2 worry ... many of the roads out there will challenge the most adventurous souls

SPORTY to say the least

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:10 pm

MickinOz wrote:
“Gambler 500”
Start one there ;)

Googled it. Looks like a hoot.

Believe it or not, apart from the Covid years, I've been going to something that reminds me of it.
At least, reading the "about" page it seems to have started the same way.
I have a 1981 500 Yamaha.
About 15 or so years ago, some guys in the Barossa got together on their TT500's and went for a Saturday arvo ride.
The TT XT 500 Muster is now an annual free event, They have a road ride, an off road ride and a access to a scramble track. It's all about dragging these old bikes out of the shed for a weekend of good clean free fun.
Hasn't evolved past a ride on the Saturday and Show 'n' Shine on the Sunday though.

Was watching a vid on the Gambler 500 website about dragging car bodies and tyres of of the desert.
We have a thing here called Cleanup Australia Day. Now I allegedly have free time in my retirement, I've been contemplating doing something similar at a local beach, where some fools have been dumping rubbish in the scrub behind the dunes.

Haven't been yet! I believe it's a race to nowhere but back to camp and you must return with trash and they are :FNP :lol:
I learned about it from 50, say's their actually great.
Love them Big Bore, Forgot what year my 450 Elsinore was :shock: Hated the left start as much as my foot did.
I new the Oregon dunes very well in the 80's Drag races on the sand; Oh the memories :thinking:
One Holiday we were at Boxcar around the Huge bonfire and one of the riders would duct tape the empties to his helmet :DOH2:
the Patrol, Law's,Fee's and toy's have gone way out of site.
Friend has a Cage with Wheels that takes 4' bumps triple digits, nother friend tried.
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:27 pm

swoody126 wrote:
giggle UNCLE'S AROUND THE BEND RALLY

3 days in Big Bend N.P.

meeting in Terlingua

it's linked to TWO WHEELED TEXANS' members

its spring time rally (any later would be way too d..n hot)

it is advertised as a street only rally because there is no legal off roading out there

butt knot 2 worry ... many of the roads out there will challenge the most adventurous souls

SPORTY to say the least

sw

Friend Complained last week about the BO on the 22 model he wanted, said if I have to wait till 23 give me the 23 instead.
I see where he's riding on that link as well,
I only wish my spine hadn't had the fun it did :frightened:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:29 pm

Love big bore singles. Still rue the day I parted with my IT490.
What an insane beast.
Bit more sedate now, I have the DR650, which has had a bit of a massage, 43 HP at the rear wheel, but it doesn't hit the same as a big bore 2 banger.
Heavy front, too.
Some people wheelie 'em. I'd need a hydraulic jack and a belly full of Dutch courage.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:42 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Upgraded our 9 volt battery operated smoke detectors with lithium ones ...

Which?

Tony

These are what my son recommended. Don't know if they are available and/or up to code in the U.S.A.
https://www.matelecaustralia.com.au/ele ... toelectric
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals