Now the fun starts

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Now the fun starts

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:05 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Upgraded our 9 volt battery operated smoke detectors with lithium ones ...

Which?

Tony

One of the Kidde "10 year worry free" Lithium series that home Depot sold. Least expensive. Don't think they detect CO (we have another detector for that). To tell the truth, I'm skeptical about how well they'll work if it ever comes to that. The failure of Kidde's kitchen detector, literally right out of the box, gave me bad vibes about the brand. I should probably try a "First Alert" from Lowes, or something.

We didn't need/want any fancy WiFi or having them hooked together. The cabin's small enough that we'll hear any of them anywhere.

And they are the Americanium radioactive (slightly) detectors. I wouldn't try and eat them, but that small amount of radioactivity doesn't particularly bother me.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:03 am

Not much done today. Glued and screwed the two reinforcing ribs to the port side wall.
Finished cutting and machining the ribs for the hatch.
Now have the 4 ribs for the hatch machined and ready.
Ribs are 19mm non-structural ply.
A-Bond waterproof glue, very ordinary veneers. But I cut a rib, and couldn't break it, so carry on.
I may do one more tomorrow, as I am toying with keeping the template rib for next time, assuming next time eventuates.
One more trip to the shop for timber tomorrow. Hopefully the last trip.
My ambition is to get this thing to lock up very shortly.
Then, even if I completely run out of steam I have a saleable item.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby MickinOz » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:50 am

Comes a time in every project that takes more than a weekend when you start to feel like it's really dragging out. Will this craziness ever come to and end? :?
Then, there is a moment where a milestone is reached, and you know you are going to nail it. Even though there is a lot left to do, you finally feel like the end is in sight.
For me, that moment is when the hatch frame is clamped in the galley opening so the glue can set with the frame pretty much held in shape.
Made a small mistake cutting the top rail. Hatch was going to be four 19mm x 60 mm ribs.
Somehow I managed to cut the two inner joints at 1/4 and 3/4 of the way across the frame, leaving a big gap crying out for a centre rib. Ah well, it only took an hour to cut another rib and match it to my template with the trimmer bit in the router, and cut another housed joint.
I cut the joints in rather than butt joint so that I wouldn't stress about plywood separating as I screwed into the end of each rib.
Nice tight fits mean the plys cannot separate under pressure from the screw.
Hatch now curing in the TD.
Cladding tomorrow, I trust.
Hatch Frame Woohoo.JPG
Hatch Frame Woohoo.JPG (105.38 KiB) Viewed 755 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:15 am

now allz you lackz iz finishin' ;-)

as time rolls on and stuff gitz dunn it seemz like those little MILESTONES are fewer n farther between

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:10 am

Today, the milestone became more of a millstone.
I put the curved section skin on.
So, I cut some of that 1/4" BC Chilean plywood and drowned the outside face in boiling water.
It practically curved itself. So I set the frame in the opening, on 8 mm packers instead of 5mm ones. this ensured the profile sat slightly proud ( 1 to 2mm) of the ends of the side walls so that there would be no interference.
Slathered on the Sika Techgrip, and with "all hands on deck" fitted the skin well stapled to the frames.

When I finished, it followed the profile of the walls perfectly.
So I wandered inside to vacuum pack some wings I've been marinating in chili powder and Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce for 2 days.
Did a few other chores, then went out to check it. Looked great, but as I stood there, a packer fell out. Thought nothing of it. Came back later to find loose clamps and more packers on the floor.

On closer inspection, I have a case of the dreaded springback.
It was about 34 degrees today, and the ply dried remarkably quickly, and pulled the frame while it did so,.
Here in Oz, we have an expression we use to express our dissatisfaction with an outcome.
I shall use it now.

Spewin' mate.

So now the partially clad hatch cover is laying on the work table undergoing cure option 1.
I fitted up some straps, doused the thing in hot water and used the straps to pull the chord of the arc in by 20mm. I will now let it dry slowly in the shade.

Hopefully it will dry out, and hold the shape when it is let go. Only need 10mm at the measuring point, so here's hoping I've pulled it just right to allow for whatever spring back I get.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:06 am

MickinOz wrote:...
So I wandered inside to vacuum pack some wings I've been marinating in chili powder and Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce for 2 days.

Spewin' mate.

MickinOz, i'd be Spewin' 2 !

btw ... i didn't know you folks could access SWEET BABY RAY'S down there

for those who aren't familiar ...

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 7.58.27 AM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 7.58.27 AM.jpeg (220.29 KiB) Viewed 685 times

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:25 pm

MickinOz wrote:Today, the milestone became more of a millstone.
I put the curved section skin on.
So, I cut some of that 1/4" BC Chilean plywood and drowned the outside face in boiling water.
It practically curved itself. So I set the frame in the opening, on 8 mm packers instead of 5mm ones. this ensured the profile sat slightly proud ( 1 to 2mm) of the ends of the side walls so that there would be no interference.
Slathered on the Sika Techgrip, and with "all hands on deck" fitted the skin well stapled to the frames.

When I finished, it followed the profile of the walls perfectly.
Did a few other chores, then went out to check it. Looked great, but as I stood there, a packer fell out. Thought nothing of it. Came back later to find loose clamps and more packers on the floor.

On closer inspection, I have a case of the dreaded springback.
It was about 34 degrees today, and the ply dried remarkably quickly, and pulled the frame while it did so,.
Here in Oz, we have an expression we use to express our dissatisfaction with an outcome.
I shall use it now.

Spewin' mate.

So now the partially clad hatch cover is laying on the work table undergoing cure option 1.
I fitted up some straps, doused the thing in hot water and used the straps to pull the chord of the arc in by 20mm. I will now let it dry slowly in the shade.

Hopefully it will dry out, and hold the shape when it is let go. Only need 10mm at the measuring point, so here's hoping I've pulled it just right to allow for whatever spring back I get.

MickinOz wrote:
Spewin' mate.

To which the appropriate response is

Bugger!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:34 am

swoody126 wrote:
btw ... i didn't know you folks could access SWEET BABY RAY'S down there

sw

I only found out about it about 4 or 5 years ago. The smelter where I spent my entire working life has a huge geographical footprint.
So the different sections and work teams all had their offices, workshops and lunch rooms near the section of plant they were responsible for.
There is no on-site cafeteria, only a couple of vending machines in the admin building. So most bring their food with them.
One day I walked into the Sinter Plant offices and met Johnny L. coming the other way with a big tray of chicken wings he'd cooked in the toaster oven in the crib room.

Note for non-smelting types:
In ol' skool Australian mining and smelting, the meal break is called crib, and the lunch room is the crib room.
Something to do with the Welsh and Cornish miners who started it all.

Johnny is second generation Italian Australian, his old man emigrated from Bari mid last century, and Johnny inherited the cooking genes and the Italian love of good food shared with friends.
"Mick try these," says Johnny.
"Don't mind if I do. Geez these are good, what's the recipe?"

Turned out, 'John's been marinating wings in Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing wing sauce and cayenne for a day, then slow roasting them in a tray in the oven.

So I got me some wings and some wing sauce and had a crack. Was a winner at my place.

I really like it. The sauce is intended for dipping your cooked wings in, I believe. But it smells quite vinegary and seems to marinate the wings nicely, presumably the acid from the vinegar doing some work.

I must say I'm usually suspicious of premade sauces and gravies in general. Often, something that is allegedly spicy hot is toned down a bit to meet some generic "average" palate. I've tried a few sauces that are somewhat famous and wondered what all the fuss was about.
But this wing sauce, once you add a little cayenne, lives up to its label - "the sauce is the boss"

I still felt something was missing though. So now I take take the marinated wings and roll them in flour seasoned with salt pepper and more cayenne, and shallow fry 'em. You get something akin to KFC wicked wings. Not exactly the same, but very more-ish.

Planning to try this batch with panko crumbs for more crunch.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:22 pm

Progress on TD #2 has been zero for a full month.
Being in retirement mode, people feel a little less reticent about calling on my time.
Current issue is my sons fence around the old corner shop that he is busy turning into a home.
He's an electrical contractor, does not knock much work back, often finds himself working weekends.
He had a builder erecting a fence, which was to be quite "upmarket" compared to neighbouring homes.
Included were two 4m sliding electric gates and a PA gate that were to have powder coated steel frames and stained timber slats for infill.
The builder stopped turning up. Literally just stopped turning up.
That's with being paid very well, by the day, settling up weekly.
After 18 months from the start of the job, my son asked me to finish it.
The fence is almost complete, just needs flashings and trims, the gates needed the timber cut and stained and installed. Then the gates have to be installed in the fence.
That's when we found out the builder, who may or may not have a similar relationship to alcohol as I do, has made a few design decisions that make life hard.
We are now working our way through those and will sort them all out.
I strongly suspect he knew he'd screwed up, and that's why he stayed away.
It has been slow going, but progress is steady, and the boy smiles a lot.
The experience of building 1 1/2 teardrops has been useful, I have learned a thing or two about pulling timber straight and fixing it down without splitting.
Here's the small PA door. Can't wait for the rest of the flashings to arrive - we are mysteriously short - so we can tidy it up:
PA Gate.JPG
PA Gate.JPG (55.65 KiB) Viewed 553 times

Note for fixing timber to steel. If you decide to screw plywood directly to a steel trailer frame, these things are the duck's nuts:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/bremick-mul ... lsrc=aw.ds
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:16 pm

The 4m gate for the front was heavy! the bottom rail is 4 x 2 x 0.1". The stiles/uprights and top rail are 2 x2 x 0.1". And it is 13 feet long.
One of the problems we found - no centre support for the 6 feet long timber slats. So my son asked me to makes some backing straps from 2 inch by /16" flat steel.
Then we turned the assembled gate over - 4 guys - and I shimmed all the gaps even and screwed on the backers.
2 gates = 4 backing straps at 34 holes per strap = 136 holes.
I drilled one in the drill press, then clamped the other three to it, using it for a template, and drilled three at a time. 2 hours from go to whoa. Less than 1 minute per hole seems like a reasonable rate of work.
Rattle canned them with zinc rich cold galvanising paint, then a couple coats of black enamel.
main gate.JPG
main gate.JPG (136.08 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Backing straps.JPG
Backing straps.JPG (45.75 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Front Gate turned over.JPG
Front Gate turned over.JPG (74.06 KiB) Viewed 544 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:22 am

When ya buy the corner store, ya get two street frontages. It is on a corner, geddit?
So by Friday lunchtime, I had the slats screwed in, the backing braces mounted, and the massive monster side gate was ready to go.
It was sitting on a couple of long sticks of pine laid over 4 x 44 gallon drums. All six of the saw horses we own between us are being used to hold up the front gate and mount the compound mitre saw I was doing all the cutting with.
I legged it for lunch. Mates weren't at our usual Friday lunch spot, so I grabbed some lunch to go (homemade biltong) and went back to the job.
Where I found my son and one of his employees enthusing over the rear gate.
"Dad, I reckon you, me and Brodie can get this gate off these drums and muscle it over to the fence and put it in", said #2 son.
It took 4 of us to move the front gate which is a bit smaller, but whatever. :roll:
So we looked at it for a while and decided we could do it.
Took the gate off the drums and walked her over to the fence.
During this exercise I discovered I no longer have the strength in my hands to lift something that heavy. I am definitely the weakest link - Brodie, who wouldn't weigh 60kg wringing wet, barely worked up an accelerated breathing rate.
Fortunately, our family has never been short of Taekwondo belts. When you move up to the next grade your old belt becomes kinda redundant, but the old belts are perfect straps for lifting heavy stuff.
Took a couple of turns around each hand and I was no longer relying on arthritic fingers to hold the weight.
We got her over to the fence, and threaded her through the guide posts. We made a bracket for the guide rollers, as nothing our missing builder did suited the gate or fence to the commercially available stuff, set her all on the unsecured rail, messed around getting everything straight and vertical, screwed the rail down to the concrete, and got her all sliding sweet.
Now Brodie has completed triple apprenticeships in metal fabrication, carpentry and electrical. Quite an achievement for a young fella still in his 20's.
I've seen him in action on the metal fab and the electrical. The lad's seriously skilled.
So it was kinda heartwarming when I said, "Do ya reckon it looks alright, boys?", and he replied, "Alright? It's bloody sensational!"
Side gate mounted.JPG
Side gate mounted.JPG (54.2 KiB) Viewed 523 times

We are now waiting on replacements for some mysteriously absent hardware so we can mount the front gate.

In the meantime, today I finished skinning the hatch and sanding it ready to seal tomorrow. This involved a conversation with the missus. I'd asked her how late she thought I'd get away with running the sander, which is pretty noisy. Two of our neighbours have kids who have just started going to school and she reckoned bedtime would be 7:30 on a school night. So I watched the clock and turned off the sander and the compressor at 7:25.
Hatch is OK, I guess.
Hatch ready to seal.JPG
Hatch ready to seal.JPG (85.72 KiB) Viewed 523 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:12 pm

Bedtime at 7:30? Are they getting up at 4am?
:NC
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:18 pm

6 year-olds, mate. I bet their parents still have trouble getting them to school at 08:30. :lol:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:10 am

:duh:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:18 am

So I went to my mother's house today to collect the 'drop. Figured I'd install the hatch.
Mum was having a coffee with a friend.
The old girls were reminiscing about days gone by.
And, the brawling abilities of their dearly departed spouses! :shock:
I knew my old man was handy enough in an altercation, but I'd heard old Jack, the friend's husband, was pretty useful too.
I put this to his widow, "Ooh, yes, it wasn't a good idea to upset him." she declared proudly.

Silly old ducks.

Then they talked me out of taking the drop home. "90% chance of rain today," they declared.
So, no real progress.
Though I did line the hinge up on the hatch.
The way the holes are spaced, looks like a natural place to cut leaves about 12mm or 1/2 inch overhang each end.
Enough?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals