Toby Camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Toby Camper

Postby Dan Gary » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 am

Dropping this note here just in case y’all wondered what happened to me. It seems like I’m coming to the realization that I don’t have the time for this build right now as so many chores at home are taking priority, like painting the house. Got a few grumbles here about putting my project ahead of these other needs. So for now, Toby will be put on hold while I balance all these other needs too.

Dan
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:38 am

Dan Gary wrote:Dropping this note here just in case y’all wondered what happened to me. It seems like I’m coming to the realization that I don’t have the time for this build right now as so many chores at home are taking priority, like painting the house. Got a few grumbles here about putting my project ahead of these other needs. So for now, Toby will be put on hold while I balance all these other needs too.

Dan

I imagine we all know about that sort of thing here Dan! FWIW, our build took three years, with many things taking more immediate priority at times, for whatever reasons. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Get back to it when you can. :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:27 am

+1 on Tom's sentiments.

I'm following your build but have run into similar delays, including my wife buying a hybrid camper that's HUGE, HEAVY and drives our maxed out SUV from just under 30 mpg to 11.5 mpg on its two hour trip home. :thumbdown:

My next build sounds very similar to yours and will likely be influenced by the Compact III pop top design. Take your time. You'll forget all about the delays once you're back at it.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dan Gary » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:10 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Dan Gary wrote:Dropping this note here just in case y’all wondered what happened to me. It seems like I’m coming to the realization that I don’t have the time for this build right now as so many chores at home are taking priority, like painting the house. Got a few grumbles here about putting my project ahead of these other needs. So for now, Toby will be put on hold while I balance all these other needs too.

Dan

I imagine we all know about that sort of thing here Dan! FWIW, our build took three years, with many things taking more immediate priority at times, for whatever reasons. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Get back to it when you can. :thumbsup:

Tom

Thanks Tom. Extending the time line helps with the perspective between quitting and keeping this build alive…just longer.
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan Gary » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:28 am

TimC wrote:+1 on Tom's sentiments.

I'm following your build but have run into similar delays, including my wife buying a hybrid camper that's HUGE, HEAVY and drives our maxed out SUV from just under 30 mpg to 11.5 mpg on its two hour trip home. :thumbdown:

My next build sounds very similar to yours and will likely be influenced by the Compact III pop top design. Take your time. You'll forget all about the delays once you're back at it.

Thanks Tim. We had looked at a hybrid too and for the same reason decided against it, was the large mass and wind resistance. Since our treks are usually long distance, having something more aerodynamic and lighter is my quest too. The 3000 pound TT’s are really hard on the transmission on these SUV’s. Hope to catch you down the road on our future dream build.

Dan
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dan Gary » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:50 pm

Since this is my first camper build, I’ve learned an important lesson regarding the trailer I’m building on. I bought a boat trailer that I thought would be a good choice however in retrospect I realized that they don’t make the best choice. Firstly it’s a 4 hole lug/13” wheel that’s hard to find wheels for and has lower load ratings than 5 lug. Harbor Freight and Northern Tools only sell the 4 lug wheels in 12”. Also, the build quality of boat trailers is subpar on fitment of steel members and welds. The frames aren’t flush on joints and requires allot of modification to get a decent frame platform for the floor system to mount to. I ended taking 2x2 square tube and building another frame ontop of the boat trailer C channel. This adds un-necessary weight and expense. So, I’m converting my boat trailer into a 5x8 utility trailer and gifting to my son for a Christmas gift. Since he’s a welder by trade I’ll have him build me a new 6x12 trailer and use new axles and springs. Building this trailer specific to our camper build, I think is the better way to go.
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby MickinOz » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Dan Gary wrote:I bought a boat trailer that I thought would be a good choice however in retrospect I realized that they don’t make the best choice. ..........Also, the build quality of boat trailers is subpar on fitment of steel members and welds............I ended taking 2x2 square tube and building another frame ontop of the boat trailer C channel.

Yup. Its a PITA. Over here, swapping hubs is painless and quite cheap.

But, boat trailers being built with adjustable supports for the actual boat, they don't take a lot of trouble getting things straight and flush.
You basically need to build the camper body as a separate unit and sit it on the frame with appropriate packers/shims.

#1 was OK. It was a homemade trailer that I could have fastened sheets directly to if I had been prepared to settle for a 54" wide mattress instead of a 60" queen.
So the extra framing was my decision.

#2 is a commercial trailer wide enough for a queen, but the frame was so far out I needed to frame up the floor.

Should I build #3, it will be on a purpose made chassis.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Previous

Return to Build Journals