Swampwerks Teardrop #1

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Swampwerks Teardrop #1

Postby twisted lines » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:31 am

I used a similar pattern for my top and sides;
On #1 ;)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Getting ready for assembly

Postby mnswamp » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Small steps forward. The frame is in the garage, the holidays are over, I've got a kerosene torpedo heater and I'm not afraid to use it. Thank goodness for the heater - otherwise, it's about 35 degrees in the garage!
Next up, get the suspension properly mounted, the bearings/hubs assembled, wheels on, and then start on the wiring.
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Wheels and lights

Postby mnswamp » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:22 pm

New blog post up - https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.com/2022/01/lights-on-wheels-up.html

I was reminded today of how the simple things can expand to suck up daylight. I wound up repulling all the wire on the left side after pushing one of the marker lights completely thru the frame... A little silicone lube took care of that for the others.

The Timbren suspension is mounted, drums are installed, and a few lights are in.
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

And we have light!!!

Postby mnswamp » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:51 pm

New blog post up, and a question.
https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.com/2022/01/and-we-have-light.html

And the question - Here's my working count for plywood panels. I may be off by a sheet on the shelves/bulkheads, but could someone please sanity check me? And yes, mostly it's baltic birch. By the time I factored waste on 4x8 sheets BB was within a couple of bucks, 5x5s will require fewer cuts, and is much nicer to work with.

Where size thickness qty
Floor 5x5 6mm 2
Floor 5x5 9mm 2
Wall Inner 4x8 6mm 3
Ceiling 5x5 3mm 3
Roof 5x5 6mm 3
Bulkhead 5x5 18mm 1
Counter 5x5 18mm 1
Backrest 5x5 12mm 2

Wall- Out 4x8 1/4 3
Wall Core 4x8 3/4 3
Blocking 4x8 3/4 1

Enjoy the upcoming weekend.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Floored

Postby mnswamp » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:36 pm

A couple of new posts up on the blog. The floor is mostly done. Still needs some finishing touches (and a little finish too).
Here's the latest post: https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.co ... rt-ii.html

This week will be finishing up on the floor, and then on to the walls!

marsh

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

CNC time

Postby mnswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:35 pm

New post(s) up in my blog, but first a bit of a rant. Is it just me, or is there a direct connection between the quality of wood available in a lumber yard, and the likelihood of finding someone to a) help, and b) have customer skills??? </rant>

Anyway, several new posts are up. The chassis is essentially complete, the floor is waiting for slightly warmer weather to epoxy the bottom, and my forehead hurts from interacting with the wall over CAD issues. BUT - I was able to cut panels last night, and they line up. Now to find 3/4 inch plywood that doesn't suck. Actually that doesn't suck and isn't Baltic Birch - that doesn't suck, but $150 a sheet to cut most of it out is a little painful when fir is $65 (for big box ¨ACX¨). https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.com/2022/01/more-cnc-fun.html

marsh

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby saywhatthat » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 pm

why are you sealing the floor? In the shop a large percentage of the trailers that come in with rotted floor because they're sealed and they can't breathe .they'll get moisture in them even from the condensation in the air.
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:54 pm

saywhatthat wrote:why are you sealing the floor? In the shop a large percentage of the trailers that come in with rotted floor because they're sealed and they can't breathe .they'll get moisture in them even from the condensation in the air.

Isn't it OSB?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mnswamp » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:32 pm

@saywhatthat - OK, I'll bite - every trailer I've seen or read about has had some sort of reasonably impermeable coating on the bottom. My mind can still be changed, and I'll admit to wondering about the wisdom of a full seal.

@Tony - nope, baltic birch. It was either crappy big box plywood or BB, and 4 sheets of BB was within a couple of bucks of the same prices as crappy big box ply.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:22 pm

mnswamp wrote:@saywhatthat - OK, I'll bite - every trailer I've seen or read about has had some sort of reasonably impermeable coating on the bottom. My mind can still be changed, and I'll admit to wondering about the wisdom of a full seal.

@Tony - nope, baltic birch. It was either crappy big box plywood or BB, and 4 sheets of BB was within a couple of bucks of the same prices as crappy big box ply.

I meant that for SawWhat. I think he keeps seeing OSB that has gotten wet and never recovered.

You'll not find an unsealed wooden boat. Seal it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:25 pm

In the shop a large percentage of the trailers that come in with rotted floor because they're sealed and they can't breathe

SawWhat:

I think you are probably looking at OSB that has gotten wet and swollen. Am I wrong?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 pm

Here is my thinking on sealing the floor:
I do not believe sealing the floor will stop it drying out if it gets wet.
The same failure of the sealer that let the moisture in will let it out, and most everyone's trailer floor will spend less time getting wet than it does drying out.
Timber will equalise to the ambient humidity, but this is seldom a problem in itself.
The problem is when the glue holding the veneers or chunks together fails or uneven swelling occurs.
After all, you seldom see this discussion about sawn planks, only about manufactured sheets.
A-bond Plywood and OSB both have water-resistant binders.
In the case of OSB, which seems to be made of chips of wood, the internal stresses created by unequal pieces of wood expanding with moisture seem to do irreversible damage.

So the question is what damage is done while the moisture in there.
Therefore, anything that minimises water intrusion is a good thing, IMO.
Seal the underside so that entry from splashes is retarded, and use materials with uniform component thicknesses and water resistant binders.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby John61CT » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:24 pm

Seal the whole pieces thoroughly, all six surfaces with close attention to the edges, multiple coats before installing.

Even the marine rated stuff.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mnswamp » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:21 am

Thanks guys. I've built/repaired multiple boats built from wood, glass and composite, and your thoughts jive with mine on this. Penetrating epoxy should work well for the underside and sides -- it'll wind up pretty much impervious to moisture from the outside. My experience with rot is typically in areas that are warm, damp and poorly ventilated. Even minimal air flow will help keep things dried out unless you have a major leak. I intend to store it indoors when not using it for longer periods, and will keep a vent fan going at least intermittently all the time.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

CNC !!!

Postby mnswamp » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:26 pm

New blog post up - it was a good day. https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.co ... art-1.html

The payoff was cutting the main sidewall in just a couple of minutes, having all the pieces line up, and knowing that I can replicate this process on the core and inside walls (next week).

Now if it will just warm up a bit so I can work out in the garage (-12F last night, about 3F today). Next week should be good!

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals