Swampwerks Teardrop #1

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Swampwerks Teardrop #1

Postby mnswamp » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Opening up a build journal here on tnttt, although I think I'll keep most of the content on my blog.

Swampwerks #1 is a 5x10 fairly traditional teardrop - I'm drawing heavily from Tony Latham's 'Teardrop #4' for inspiration and his book for a lot of guidance
I will be doing most of the drafting in FreeCad (v.19), and then cutting on a 4x8 CNC. FreeCad offers a full featured parametric CAD system (that runs in Windows, Linux or Mac) but the number of 'workbenches' can be a bit daunting. I'll talk more about FreeCad in a future post. At tcmaker.org, we have a 4x8 CNC table, so I'll take advantage of that to cut panels.

As I mentioned in a previous post, some other design targets - 200AH LifeP04 battery, 3000W inverter, shore power, plus solar charger, and provision for small generator. 15 gallon 'belly tank' to fuel the shower, water for washing dishes, etc. Propex heater, provision for AC (TBD). I hope to mostly rely on the MaxxFan, but I also know that we will use this in some spots where a fan just won't cut it, like Iowa in July. Cooking will be propane, most likely a Camp Chef Everest stove. Also, commercial doors instead of building them myself (dollars/simplicity vs time/complexity - time won).

The tongue box has morphed from a commercially available box to a custom build with a slide out on one end for a porta-potty, dog food locker on the other end, and a dead space for that TBD air conditioner.

The other big change in my thinking over the past few weeks is to put a bike rack 'up front' over the tongue box. I'll do some sort of frame to support a pair of 'One Up' racks that can support road, mountain or fat bikes.

At any rate, here's the latest blog post.

https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.co ... g-day.html

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. Stay warm!

marsh
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Swampwerks Teardrop #1

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:49 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:19 am

Hello mnswamp. I was looking at your blog posting and saw your mention of capping off your tube ends with printed parts. Can I ask what process/material you’re using for the printed parts? Thanks
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:31 am

this ole armchair kibitzer has gathered a big ole tub of

00M0M_hFsxHcXBv6L_600x450.jpg
00M0M_hFsxHcXBv6L_600x450.jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

and a steamin hot mug

OIP.tSyumau0VXReLjOKJzU1UQHaHa.jpeg
OIP.tSyumau0VXReLjOKJzU1UQHaHa.jpeg (8.45 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

let the fun begin

SW
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby mnswamp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:56 pm

Capebuild wrote:Hello mnswamp. I was looking at your blog posting and saw your mention of capping off your tube ends with printed parts. Can I ask what process/material you’re using for the printed parts? Thanks
John

I started doing 3D printing to make things for the kayak racing program I coach, and over time have found all sorts of things that I could make instead of buying. I print watch holders, deck plates, custom cradles, buoys, and occasionally repair parts for things like copiers. It's pretty much a hobby tool that pays for itself.
I use FreeCad for design -slice the CAD file into g-code using a program called Cura, and print on one of a couple of different printers depending on the size and type of material. I finally have a printer capable of printing reinforced nylon and ASA which will allow me to print some tougher items. For the end plugs, I'll experiment with plain old PLA to see if I can get it to stay put. It may need to be augmented with an O ring to give it a tighter fit.

BTW, finished the main frame today. Looks like the welds will hold. On to the front triangle!

~marsh
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mnswamp » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 am

Blog update: https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.com/2021/12/done-welding.html

Major progress this week. The frame build is essentially done, just need to drill all the mounting holes for the Timbren suspension and then drag it to the powder coater on Monday!

I'll toss this out for comment. I have a bike rack kingpost on the tongue, and will custom a rack that fits over the tongue box. That will actually fit 3 bikes (if I remove the pedal closest to the trailer body. Do I really need a rear receiver? I can still install one this weekend, but I'm leaning toward not adding it.

@Capebuild - I included a couple of pics of the prototype tube plugs.

-marsh

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Capebuild » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 am

Thanks for sharing the photos of the end caps you'll print up. The reason I had asked originally, I had printed up similar end caps a while back for a bike rack where one worked it's way out and got lost. I printed it on an SLA printer from a Durable resin. Over time the elements and going through freezing / thawing cycles caused cracking and eventually the cap just didn't work out. Perhaps building them on an FDM machine and in ASA (UV stable) might be the better choice. I also remember Tony saying he purchased similar caps on Ebay or amazon that are probably injection molded probably out of PE or polypro or something durable like that.
Nice blog site you have. Nice milling machine, too :)

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:04 pm

Do I really need a rear receiver?

I'll vote, no. :thumbdown:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mnswamp » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 pm

New post - https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.co ... ating.html

Timbren mounting done. Time for a beverage, a bike ride and then off to the powder coater. Still probably another 15-20 hours of work on the trailer - install lighting, pack bearings and install brake/hubs, plug all the tubes so the mice don't set up housekeeping, and so on.
Time to really get serious about designing the body itself I guess!

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mnswamp » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:44 pm

It's snowy and cold, which delayed getting to the powder coater yesterday/today. With nothing better to do, I started fleshing out the sketches to build this beastie.
I've added an update to the blog post with a couple of rough drawings of the trailer body itself. You can ignore the gaps - I deliberately haven't done precise fits yet.

https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.com/2021/12/draft-look-at-camper.html. Comments/critiques most certainly welcome!

Stay warm out there!

marsh

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mnswamp » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:14 pm

Dropped the frame off at the sandblaster's today to prep for powdercoat. I'm not too sure about the work ethic of their office staff!

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mnswamp » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Marco Sandblasting finished up their part of the deal and transported it to Twin Cities Metalseal and Powder Coating. Marco did an excellent job and was very reasonable. It'll be there for a couple of days and then back to my garage for the build. Now I have to organize the garage, hang a curtain, add some light, and some heat, and then I can start work. Fortunately I have a 5x12 utility trailer for shuttling to the shop and back, and can use it for temp storage of metal, pick up materials, etc.
https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.co ... frame.html

marsh

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mnswamp » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:09 pm

I'll do a full blog post tonight, but in the meantime...

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mnswamp » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:41 pm

Nothing much new over the Christmas break. I'm working on getting garage space cleared in prep for moving in the build. Hint - 20 years of accumulated 'stuff', plus various bikes, boats, and tools takes more than a day to clear out...

This week, I am still hoping to move the frame and get the suspension hung and wheels on, although I don't expect it to be done before New Years'Day. I'll post up pics as soon as I get it inside.

I'm compiling a source list for the build. I'm happy to add that here as well if there's a good place to put it. In the meantime, it's here:
https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.com/2021/12/suppliers.html

Happy Holidays, y'all.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Re: CNC learnings

Postby mnswamp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:30 pm

New blogpost up https://swampwerks-teardrop.blogspot.co ... n-cnc.html

Nothing super exciting, but here's a tease image. 167955

Happy New Year, y'all !!!

marsh

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals