The Dutch build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Dutch build

Postby JasenC » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 pm

Don't think we'll see that tank bouncing down the highway.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Marcogs » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:53 am

JasenC wrote:Don't think we'll see that tank bouncing down the highway.

hahahahah lets hope not.
Knowing myself and always over engineering everything. I'll think it will be fine :D :D
Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby smeerkees » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:26 pm

Hello Marco,

I didn't realize it at first but You tig welded the frame for the water tank.(beeing aluminium) Did you also tig weld the welding work on the beginning of your teardrop build? (beeing steel).

Greetz, SmeerKees.
smeerkees
Teardrop Master

Postby Marcogs » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:36 am

smeerkees wrote:Hello Marco,

I didn't realize it at first but You tig welded the frame for the water tank.(beeing aluminium) Did you also tig weld the welding work on the beginning of your teardrop build? (beeing steel).

Greetz, SmeerKees.

Smeerkees,

No, the chassis is mig/mag welded.
If you TIG weld your chassis, then you compromise to mutch on structural integrity.
Of course everything is possible, but then your frame has to be build according another layout plan.
Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:12 am

Marcogs wrote:...If you TIG weld your chassis, then you compromise to mutch on structural integrity.

I don't intend to cause a shake up on your build thread, but this statement just isn't true. TIG welding is a perfectly acceptable process that most qualified welders consider to be superior to MIG welding.

Perhaps, you meant if you were to have built your trailer frame from aluminum?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Marcogs » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 pm

[/quote]I don't intend to cause a shake up on your build thread, but this statement just isn't true. TIG welding is a perfectly acceptable process that most qualified welders consider to be superior to MIG welding.

Perhaps, you meant if you were to have built your trailer frame from aluminum?[/quote]

I think it is a combination of me beeing dutch and therefore used the wrong words / explenation.
At first i don't want to push my opinion. Sorry for the confusion. i did it with the best intensions

Ofcourse Tig welding is perfectly suitable for welding (for example) a chassis, but here in the Netherlands we are using it more for the more refined welding jobs. If presence is important then is TIG also the preferred method
The advantage of MIG/MAG is the capacity of more fill material (hope you understand) therefore also suitable to fill a slightly bigger gaps.
Besides that MIG/MAG is quicker and easier to learn.

Long story short: use what u want/got/can and make something nice.

Greets, Marco
Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:30 am

Understood. We (experienced welders) have a saying, "If I can walk across it, I can weld it." Which is not to say that wide root openings will result in the best welds, but it can be done with most any process.

I agree with you on many of your points. Also, TIG welding is generally a slower process than MIG. However, one of the reasons that TIG is considered a superior process, especially when compared to MIG performed by a novice (or even long time welder with mediocre skills), is because the heat at the root is much easier to see and control with TIG. Piling a bunch of filler on top of a cold root is a common problem for MIG beginners, and does not result in strong welds. (Not saying you have this problem, just trying to clarify why TIG is superior... why I used that process for my chassis build.)

You are doing fine work! :applause: :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Marcogs » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:49 am

KCStudly wrote:Understood. We (experienced welders) have a saying, "If I can walk across it, I can weld it." Which is not to say that wide root openings will result in the best welds, but it can be done with most any process.

I agree with you on many of your points. Also, TIG welding is generally a slower process than MIG. However, one of the reasons that TIG is considered a superior process, especially when compared to MIG performed by a novice (or even long time welder with mediocre skills), is because the heat at the root is much easier to see and control with TIG. Piling a bunch of filler on top of a cold root is a common problem for MIG beginners, and does not result in strong welds. (Not saying you have this problem, just trying to clarify why TIG is superior... why I used that process for my chassis build.)

You are doing fine work! :applause: :thumbsup:

Thanks man. :thumbsup:
I'll try my best. Hoping to finish it for trips next summer.
Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

The Dutch build

Postby Marcogs » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:52 am

Today litle bit of tinkering with the galley
The compartment on the left will be the electronics section.
With 95 in the shade, more than enough for today. Image

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Marcogs » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:26 pm

Today my first “electronics” arived from Amazon.
Level meter for fresh water tankImage

Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Marcogs » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:21 pm

Today put the wall liner on one side. Flame resistant carpet. And fixed the first door frame. Image

Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JasenC » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:30 pm

I like it, I'm planning on doing padded fabric, or maybe now carpet, for the walls.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Marcogs » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:52 pm

JasenC wrote:I like it, I'm planning on doing padded fabric, or maybe now carpet, for the walls.
The carpet also isulates.
And it gifs a sort of home/cosy feel.

Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby noseoil » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:22 am

The carpet looks very nice and should add a bit of sound-deadening as well as insulation. Good to see how many different types of interior finish are being used on these home-builds. There is no limit to how creative people are when working on a build.

I like the look of the cloth instead of plain wood. We did wood walls with a very light maple stain, but the head liner was done with raw canvas. Since the interior space is so limited by the size, a light color helps keep it feeling less like a cave & more like a small room. We needed to be careful not to get finger marks when handling the headliner & setting it in place, but it's a nice finish when it's installed. No swatting mosquitos or flies on the ceiling, because the canvas is untreated & has no finish to prevent stains, but so far it still looks good & the off-white color is nice to live with, it's bright & reflects light well for reading.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Marcogs » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:52 am

noseoil wrote:The carpet looks very nice and should add a bit of sound-deadening as well as insulation. Good to see how many different types of interior finish are being used on these home-builds. There is no limit to how creative people are when working on a build.

I like the look of the cloth instead of plain wood. We did wood walls with a very light maple stain, but the head liner was done with raw canvas. Since the interior space is so limited by the size, a light color helps keep it feeling less like a cave & more like a small room. We needed to be careful not to get finger marks when handling the headliner & setting it in place, but it's a nice finish when it's installed. No swatting mosquitos or flies on the ceiling, because the canvas is untreated & has no finish to prevent stains, but so far it still looks good & the off-white color is nice to live with, it's bright & reflects light well for reading.

Thanks, it’s indeed cool to see the various ideas of al the builders.
Its a bummer that here in the netherlands are not a lot of diy teardrops.
Its a longtime wish to visit one of your meetings.
Maybe, sometime

Marcogs
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals