Beyond the End teardrop (Tony Latham-style build)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Beyond the End teardrop (Tony Latham-style build)

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:18 pm

I've also been thinking about a clamp that....

The only time I have a problem with the struts not quite being stiff enough is when I put our galley tent up.

I have two pieces of PEX pipe that are slit open and snap onto the strut shafts when needed.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby orourkmw » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:17 am

I like Tony's solution...simple is good. I also like the hood stay that Indiana Rambler identified, as it is permanently attached. (I had done several searches on cylinder clamps, hose clamps, tube clamps, etc, but didn't hit on the right search term :thumbsup: ) It is $25, and has a set screw to permanently attach to the barrel, with a cam that locks against the rod. And, of course, smooth metal against metal, so no scratching. I am ordering one. I kinda regret having ordered the $35 (incl shipping) strut, because I've been worried about 156 lbs of compression force creating havoc if something goes wrong. Thanks so much to both of you!

I do recognize that the clearance will be very tight as the rod is basically fully retracted into the barrel when the hatch is closed. I'll test it gingerly, with my endoscope inside so I can view in real time....hope I'm lucky...
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby orourkmw » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:34 pm

Ok, got both the bigger strut and the HoodStay in. I was wrong about the HoodStay having a cam to grab against the rod of the strut. It is a screw, but it was easy to operate and did not leave any scratches in the half-dozen times I tried it (so obviously, there is enough clearance for it when the strut is retracted):

However, I have decided to go with the larger strut. I installed it on one side only, so I have 90# on one side and 120# on the other. There seem to be no issues raising it, and when I let go at the top, it raises the last inch or so on its own. I paid close attention to the mounting bracket, and there is no distortion. I also had my wife lift the hatch when I had the 90# on both sides, and she said she could barely do it. With the 120# on one side, it is easier, and it just "feels right". I don't know why I need a heavier strut, but it will avoid the need for a stay. Maybe my hatch weight is heavier because I used Southern Yellow Pine for my spars??

Anyway, I am satisfied with this solution, and don't anticipate any problems. Now just undercoating, and title/license!
Mike
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:03 pm

it is easier, and it just "feels right".

:thumbsup: :thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:24 am

Beautifully done Mike!
Regards to your blue chalk line, I had my hatch interior varnished and the hatch mounted when I looked up and noticed a nice pencil line running halfway across marking a spar location. It says ha to me each time I notice it. :roll:
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby orourkmw » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:22 am

Thanks, Ralph. Well, I’m calling it finished! I will get it titled and licensed next week.

I can’t tell you how much I have appreciated the help I received from this forum….but especially from Tony, whose book was an excellent blueprint. I never would have tackled this project without it. I was worried that after all the time and money I’d screw the camper up, but Tony’s book kept me on track. I will say I probably spent 1000 hours over the last year-and-a-half, and more if you consider all the time planning, acquiring materials, and trying to make sure I was doing things in the best sequence (and I had to pay the price a few times when I had to go backwards and do something that would have been so much easier if it had been done first!). I am a slow worker.

I am happy to report no incidents or accidents during construction. My other big concern was ensuring that water can’t get in. Water is insidious, and it finds its way anywhere…and the leak can be hard to track down. So every exterior was epoxied, caulked, taped, etc…I think it will be good. The only place I see water getting in is under the hurricane hinge, but between the butyl tape and Geocel Proflex RV sealant, I think it will be ok.

Tony’s book is subtitled “Crafting an Heirloom Camper”, and I hope I have created one. There were many challenges and problems to solve, and sometimes I wonder how the hell I did it. This is the biggest project I have ever attempted. I have often reflected on the pursuit of excellence. I didn’t achieve it on this project, as there are flaws, but none are fatal. I guess the pursuit is why Tony has now built #4. I was going to break up my template and discard it, but I’ve decided to hold onto it….maybe next year??

Anyway, a final video tour….
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby GarthB » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:47 am

Mike, congratulations on a job very well done! Your closing thoughts are very well said. You'll look back and marvel on the completion of this project for a long time to come. I still go back to my own build journal every now and then and relive some of the trials and successes that were scattered throughout my wife and I's build.

As for the template, I found that it makes great wall art and nailed it to one of the walls in our garage. It was a handy reference last summer when I was cutting a hole through the wall for our solar connection to know exactly where to drill, and where not to drill.

Cheers :beer:
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby orourkmw » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:46 am

Well, it's titled and registered....and now I will sell it. As I mentioned earlier, we are truck camper people. I took on this project because I was inspired by Tony's book, and by the work I had seen others do on this forum. I learned a lot. I am going to list it in the "for sale" section, and am hoping I can at least recover my out-of-pocket costs (and maybe cover my Paulk workbench as well!). :NC
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:23 am

orourkmw wrote:Well, it's titled and registered....and now I will sell it. As I mentioned earlier, we are truck camper people. I took on this project because I was inspired by Tony's book, and by the work I had seen others do on this forum. I learned a lot. I am going to list it in the "for sale" section, and am hoping I can at least recover my out-of-pocket costs (and maybe cover my Paulk workbench as well!). :NC

Wow; really! Well, don't undervalue it. Particularly your exterior is really stunning! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby orourkmw » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:56 pm

Well, after 5 months sold it, and covered most of my out-of-pocket costs…what wasn’t covered I consider a modest tuition for the amount of fun and learning I had. Still thinking about a possible future build (but not right away!) Thanks again to everyone here - especially Tony - for the support.
Mike
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals