aVANger Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Advanger Build

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:32 pm

Thanks guys!
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:30 am

I turned the water heater on Monday at 0900, turned it off after it got hot and here's where the temperature is on Wednesday 0900:

It's been super hot during the day, which helped keep it warm longer than it would in cooler weather. It would be even hotter in the van garage if I didn't have the roof van going during the day:

I'm thinking I should only have to turn the water heater on once a day rather than keep it on all the time. That might change after I see how it works in actual use. I've got the heater thermostat turned all the way up to maximize the time it stays warm. 140F is definitely scalding temperature, I probably need to look into a tempering valve.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:36 pm

bdosborn wrote:
lfhoward wrote:Bruce, just catching up and am super impressed with the Victron system you put together with a hot water heater and tank sensor!

Thanks! I just found a use for the Ruuvi wireless temperature sensor that I wasn't quite sure what to do with. I strapped it to the pressure relief valve of the water heater and insulated it with thinsulate. Now I can monitor the hot water temperature; it holds decent temperature overnight without having the heater being on.

I'm not impressed with the tank sensor, it varies wildly with temperature (50% over the day). I might need to insulate the sensor or something. I guess just being able to see some kind of level is nice. I didn't add or use any water today and you can see how the level varies:

But everything else has come together nicely.
Bruce

I have a couple of Ruuvi Tags on the way now. Can’t wait to try them out. One will measure interior temperature and humidity, while the other more waterproof model will go under the camper.

I have also been reading Victron’s forum and Mopeka (the maker of Bluetooth propane level sensors) and Victron are talking to each other. Hopefully we will have LPG tank sensors soon that can report to the VRM like the Ruuvis can. The beta is not out yet on GitHub but the code is in development.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:37 am

lfhoward wrote:Mopeka (the maker of Bluetooth propane level sensors) and Victron are talking to each other.

Yeah, I saw that too and I've got my eye on it. I haven't decided if I'm going to have a propane tank or not. It depends on if I relocate the spare tire to the door, which is a lot of $$$$.

I learned a lesson with about the Cerbo GX this week. I had it wired it downstream of a Victron Load Protect so that the BMS could disconnect all battery loads if the battery or cell voltages go wacky. I hadn't connected the BMS signal to the load protect previously as it disconnects the load when the temperature gets below freezing (which I wish it didn't - stop charging but don't disconnect loads below 32F.). The BMS disconnected the load because the MPPT didn't stop charging at the voltage it thought it should, disconnecting the Cerbo. :oops: I have DVCC enabled in the Cerbo, which dictates voltage limits to all Victron devices. When that happened the the MPPT reverted to local voltage limits, which I had set higher than I like.

Bottom line - make sure your Cerbo/Venus is wired directly to the battery if you're using DVCC.

Here's a great video on switched versus unswitched loads. This guy really knows his stuff:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:42 am

Thanks Bruce, that video was interesting. The only unswitched item in my trailer besides the BMS is the Victron battery monitor. The Venus GX is on the switched side of things, along with solar charge controllers and everything else. Luckily I am not using it with DVCC at the moment, so my Overkill BMS has ultimate control over the battery. (Charge controllers are programmed with cold temperature protection.) Thanks for the info on DVCC potentially being a problem if the Venus GX loses power. Very good to know, because I do eventually want to get my VRM reading battery stats from the BMS directly.

Did your battery incur any damage after charging at low temperatures?
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:05 am

lfhoward wrote:Did your battery incur any damage after charging at low temperatures?

It never charged at low temperature, the BMS and Victron interlocks prevent that ( fingers crossed). The BMS disconnects loads below 32F, which is annoying. It basically turns everything off below 32F, which is the safe, conservative way to manage low temperature I guess.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:21 am

Hi Bruce et al.,

The new version of Victron’s Venus OS (2.90~18) now supports Mopeka Pro tank sensors.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/148366/mopeka-pro-sensors-in-venus-29018.html

I may have to get one of those to monitor my LPG tank in the VRM. (Water tank Pro sensors are also available but I don’t have a water tank.)

Cool stuff. I updated my Raspberry Pi to the new version of Venus yesterday.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:55 pm

Yeah, I've been waiting for the Cerbo GX official release version. I'll definitely be trying the water sensor out. If the Mopeka doesn't pan out I might be cutting a hole in my water tank for a resistive sensor.

Bruce

P.S. Thanks for the nudge, I need to do an update. The cabinets over the bed are up...
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Advanger Build - Cabinets Added

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:46 pm

I've got the cabinets above the bed installed. The cabinets were a lot harder than I thought they would be; the van walls curve going up from the floor and from front to back. First step was to finish the area off directly above the bed. I built a box that slides into the wall recess above the bed and carpeted it:

I started with the face frames each cabinet and built it to follow the van curves and angles. I hung the face frames from the ceiling ribs using angle.

Then I added a bottom panel.

Here's the rough-in for the cabinet over the foot of the bed. I had to hand fit each part for the cabinet sides to make it fit the curves and angles (PITA) :

Test fit of both cabinets:

Here's Moo reviewing the fit with the bed installed. We slept in it a few night and made some tweaks. I cut an inch or so off the lip on the foot cabinet to get a little more space. There will be a LED strip light on the back side of the lip. The reading lights were in the way and I moved them up to the bottom of the cabinet. Two pillows was too much, you only need one:

Doors constructed and finish applied. I used leather handles for the door pulls as I know I'll snag them otherwise.

I didn't make any doors for the cabinet over the head of the bed, I'm thinking that's more of a shelf for books and stuff than a cabinet.

Now on to lighting and the refrigerator cabinet...

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:38 pm

Those cabinets look great! :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:26 pm

Thanks! :D
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:44 pm

Very nice cabinets, for a metal, electrical, plumbing guy.. :thumbsup:
Yes, those curves can be a PITA alright... never know it from the final installaion..
You made it look easy.. :applause:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:26 pm

Thanks! I'm working on the refrigerator cabinet now and it's been kicking my ass. I've finally got a frame that fits into where the side bump in and out. I'm about ready put the bed frame back in more or less permanently.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:35 pm

Here's a quick video on how the cabinet works:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:31 pm

There is a method used in boat building to find the side curve for cabinets
and bulk heads using a tick stick. There are YouTube videos, I believe.
:thumbsup:
Basically you make a stick with notches in it and a point on one end.
Brace a card in the desired location. Use the stick to touch the curve
and trace its edge onto the card. Mark the notches as needed onto
the card to define your new edge. Repeat as often as needed.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals