aVANger Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

aVANger Build

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:09 am

We picked it up in August, our brand new 2021 Ford Transit 250 cargo van! The dealer brought it around and my wife and I both said the same thing, "Wow, that thing is big!" :lol:
Our plan is to convert it to a camper.

The main option package we ordered is the adventure prep package:

The Adventure Prep Package for the cargo vans includes a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, all-wheel drive, 3.73:1 limited-slip differential rear axle, heavy-duty front axle, and privacy glass. Inside, there's an eight-inch infotainment screen. It also gives the driver tech like adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, and rear and side-sensing systems.

I also added the dual alternator package and swivel seats.

It rides okay, a little better than my 99 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins and is a lot faster. The ecoboost pulls hard, it scoots right up the hills. We've been driving it up to the cabin to break it in. So far we've been getting 17.5 mpg, which is about the same as the Dodge gets. I'm sure glad I ordered the van when I did (March 2021); Ford has been limiting production due to supply chain issues and dealers have been adding $10-$15K to the MSRP. We got it through Costco so we paid $500 over invoice with 0.9% financing. There's no way we'd get a deal like that now.

I'm a little behind on the build log, I'll post more often till I get caught up with were we are now.

Bruce
Last edited by bdosborn on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Advanger Build

Postby Philip » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:58 am

I was wondering when you were going to post the build. I have been waiting. :thumbsup:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

New van

Postby noseoil » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:04 am

Bruce, this is a great platform to work with for a camper. I'm looking forward to the interior mods & design for the completed living area.

Curious to see which systems will be incorporated in the build (toilet type, water supply, cooking system & gas, fridge, etc.) Looks like you're going to be a bit busy with this one! Good job finding the van you've chosen & on the buy. I'm very happy with my Ranger & its little 4 cylinder motor, the 10 speed transmission is really well matched to the motor. Their eco-boost system is really nice for performance, gas mileage & drive ability. Which transmission did you get with the van?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:05 am

Thanks Philip, I'll post again soon.
Bruce
Last edited by bdosborn on Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: New van

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:12 am

noseoil wrote: Which transmission did you get with the van?

It's the 10 speed and it's the smoothest transmission I've ever driven. It always seem to be in the right gear and I don't notice how it gets there. I got the tow/haul option so it down shifts automatically on hills, which is nice. I've seen a few complaints about problems with it online so hopefully it holds up.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:26 am

The resolution is low but here's my van plan:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:59 am

Looks good on the design, do you have access to some honeycomb or maybe balsa-core to build the cabinets? Would be a bit more expensive, but it would shave off a lot of weight if you can find some...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:40 am

I drive these vans for work (far fewer options) and they drive pretty well. A few things I don't like, though.

First one is how far I have to reach to do much of anything. The gear shifter is on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel, and if the thing I need to do isn't on the shifter or steering wheel, I have to lean over to reach it. Really, really irritating.

I have a 2019 Ranger and I like it a LOT more. Granted I have a lot more options in it, too, but many more things I might need to reach are a lot more accessible. The seats and the ride also feel a lot more comfortable in the Ranger compared to the Transits at work. And as far as the Ranger goes, it's easily the best - paired engine/transmission I've ever owned. On the trips I've done with my trailer, I've managed at least 20mpg while towing. Without the trailer, I've managed over 28mpg on a long highway road trip.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:11 pm

The van isn't our primary vehicle so how it rides or the mileage isn't very important to me. The space in the back is was why we picked it. Although I do get the bending over issue; my Tacoma is like that, you have to hunt for some of the controls.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:17 pm

noseoil wrote:Looks good on the design, do you have access to some honeycomb or maybe balsa-core to build the cabinets? Would be a bit more expensive, but it would shave off a lot of weight if you can find some...

Yeah, weight is something I'm really trying to watch. I plan on making the cabinets out of 1x2s and 1/8" plywood. That's how I made the trailer cabinets and they came out pretty light.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:49 am

First step in the conversion is to try and protect our expensive new van from bumps and scrapes.

Floor mats. I always get floor mats in all my vehicles, even with the factory floor mats.

These are stair runners on the entry steps. The plastic steps look terrible after a few dirty shoes hit them so I thought we'd try this to to keep it nice for awhile:

I bought a bed rug carpet to protect the shiny new floor during construction. The fit was better than I expected; it's molded into the corrugation of the floor and the sides fit flush with the protrusion of the van:

I plan to build up the floor with insulation in the front part of the van but not in the garage (under the bed). This will give a nice finished floor to the garage. I'll lay the insulation right over the carpet when I build up the floor.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:07 am

Bruce, great to see you start the post for this van.
I will be following this really close. Have went through and caught the electrical you have completed so far.
Our little 2010 Transit is older and outdated for a lot of things. It works for us for now. And was available at the right price for the time we were looking.
Though, my interest in watching you and what you do here could help determine if we step up to a newer larger model in the future.
Thanks for posting..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:16 pm

Bruce:

Do not ruin this thing with a cheesy electrical installation. No Harbor Freight panels and no wire nuts.

:lol: :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:00 am

tony.latham wrote: Do not ruin this thing with a cheesy electrical installation. No Harbor Freight panels and no wire nuts.

I would never shame Reddy Kilowatt that way. Besides, he's watching my every move from the hitch cover ;) :

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:16 am

Staryder61 wrote:Though, my interest in watching you and what you do here could help determine if we step up to a newer larger model in the future

Getting a van right now is tough. The wait for new vans is up around 10 months, which has driven the prices of the used vans to crazy levels around here. Ford is closing orders for 2022, so people will have to wait till the fall to order a 2023 van. The good news is that you'll get a great price for your van.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals