5X9 ORAFT Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: 5X9 ORAFT Build

Postby Onajourney » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:58 am

Brought the trailer to the inspection office only to wait on line for 2 hours to learn I needed a NCX form from the plate agency before they would inspect it. After going to another office I got the form to now need to get inspected. I had already booked a camp site to do a shakeout run this weekend so we went without inspection or a tag. I really didn't worry about it so off we went to the lake about an hour away.
I weighted the trailer prior and it came in heavier than I hoped for, 1700lbs. That is a bunch for a 2 door wrangler especially braking. I now wish I installed brakes and may need to change the suspension because I can't add brakes to the torsion axels I installed. Damn it. I added a Pelican storage box, NAPA awning, and a RV waste pipe storage tube for fishing poles on roof rack. It all worked out great and the Napa awning is incredible for $120. Very well made and designed. The Pelican case is equally worth it. It stores toilet, toilet tent, 2 tables, a huge beach awning, and a rug.
Everything went very well. It got down to 40 degrees but running the 500 watt electric heater for 5-10 minutes in the cabin brought it to a comfortable 55. Did the same in the morning. I had to cook with the stove on the table because the hose I bought to use it on the slide-out did not work. I had to use the angle hard pipe to connect the stove. No big deal. We also ended up using the toilet and tent being the restrooms were not close at all. I made steaks , mushroom risotto with asparagus for dinner. Having the large stainless steel counter is a great upgrade. Numerous time I put hot pans on it while cooking. I learned I need to be conservative with the water. I only have a 10 gallon tank. One of the first things I realized is a must have is a water level gauge. I order the Mopeka on that works wirelessly with an app. We shall see. It was only $60 on amazon.
We slept really well and got up made your standard bacon , eggs, hash brown breakfast. We sit down and my wife hands me a card and says "Happy Anniversary". Oh geez! She said "You forgot?". Me, Sorry, I have so busy finishing the trailer. She smiled and said "I know, the trailer is beautiful and it's a great anniversary present" . I am a lucky man to have a such a wonderful wife and a pretty kick-ass trailer.
Need to finish the brake job I started on the Jeep last night being I smoked them this weekend. I will be doing a full walk around video soon and will post of it whereabouts here when I do. So we made it back home without seeing the law and more importantly, the law not seeing the tagless trailer.

Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:05 am

Onajourney wrote:I weighted the trailer prior and it came in heavier than I hoped for, 1700lbs.

I don't ever remember reading on anyone's build journal that their trailer came out way lighter than they were expecting. But mostly opposite.

My trailer also came out about 200 pounds heavier than I was hoping for. I was disappointed with that, but .... so be it.

Your build came out really nice! Happy trails!!!..... and Happy Anniversary!!

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby eLink » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:37 am

Onajourney wrote:So we made it back home without seeing the law and more importantly, the law not seeing the tagless trailer.

I have been wondering whether it was worth the risk to take it out for a few "joy rides" prior to registration. But my first trip will likely be to the DMV.

Your camper looks great! I may have to borrow your idea for the roof rack!
eLink
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals